Pirates of the Caribbean 3 Review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Caribbean 3 Review

thekid
05-26-2007, 05:42 PM
Thought I get a post started for the latest sequel.....

Took the kids to it yesterday and I have to agree with the reviews that mention the confusing (ridiculous?) plot. Granted movies like this are always thin on plot by nature but it does not look like anyone even put any effort into this. Most of the cast seemed to be getting through their scenes only because they were required to mumble some lines before picking up their paychecks. Movie ran about an hour too long and the special effects were nothing new or spectacular IMO. My kids did enjoy it and so at least I did not feel I totally blew my money for the tix and popcorn. Unless you are obligated to see this because of friends or family I recommend waiting for the DVD release.

Smokey
05-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks for review.

I hope this not a indication of sequels quality that will be coming up later this summer.

kexodusc
05-28-2007, 05:57 AM
I'm not surprised by the bad press this thing's been getting. The first installment got my pic as most overrated movie of the year by a country mile when it came out. I enjoyed it, but I thought it was just another goofy fun popcorn muncher like The Mummy that would be forgotten as fast as it came. #2 had it's moments, but really dragged on and just felt sloppy to me. I didn't like it that much at all. The first one had some plot at least. I bought the first one on sale, the second one I exchanged after getting it as a Christmas present.

ugh...I feel obligated to see #3 so I guess I'll go on cheap night. The special effects were pretty good at least.

Personally, I'd like to see more sequel movies suck hard so maybe we'd get less of them. Don't get me wrong, I love a good sequel. The key word there is good. Unfortunately, pulling in a $115 million or whatever in the first weekend isn't exactly what I'd call "sucking hard".

Good thing most hollywood studios stop at #3...

thekid
05-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Kex- Good luck finding the bargain tix. I do not want to ruin this for you (probably too late for that...) but I do not think even the SFX in this one are original or particularly clever. Looks like they spent most of the money for the final fight scene but that is where the plot really falls completely apart amd the effects could not fill the gap IMO. Sat there mostly saying what the he**??? while everyone bounced around the green screen.

At least with some of the movies like this you have to see them on the big screen so to speak to appreciate the SFX but this one will fit right at home on most HT set-ups. There was a trailer for a new Nicole Kidman flick (Golden Compass??) that had better SFX in it than the whole of PC3 IMO. My son added it to our list of movies that