What XLR Balanced Interconnect [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What XLR Balanced Interconnect

quad121
05-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Hi everyone, Wonder if someone can recommend a Quality XLR Interconnect to go between my Krell CD Player and Krell Pre-Amp?

I have a Hovland Gen 3 between the Pre Amp and the Amp.

Thankyou,

quad

Mr Peabody
05-26-2007, 06:10 PM
Hi Q; I'd recommend staying with the same brand throughout for a consistent sound. If your not happy with Hovland for some reason, my local Krell dealer swears by Transparent. I have only used Transparent so I can't really say how they compare. I have also found Siltech to be a terrific cable but I haven't used their XLR's.

quad121
05-26-2007, 10:12 PM
I'm quite happy with the Hovland, it seems like a good cable. I haven't tried Transparent yet so i'll see if i can give one a try!

Feanor
05-27-2007, 03:50 AM
Hi Q; I'd recommend staying with the same brand throughout for a consistent sound. If your not happy with Hovland for some reason, my local Krell dealer swears by Transparent. I have only used Transparent so I can't really say how they compare. I have also found Siltech to be a terrific cable but I haven't used their XLR's.

Personally I have an ussue paying more for cable than for the components they connect. The Transparent XLR options are out of mine range ... but go for it you rich guys.

http://transparentcable.com/products/prices/01-06%20RETAIL%20INTER-9-13.pdf

Resident Loser
05-30-2007, 08:27 AM
Personally I have an ussue paying more for cable than for the components they connect. The Transparent XLR options are out of mine range ... but go for it you rich guys.

http://transparentcable.com/products/prices/01-06%20RETAIL%20INTER-9-13.pdf

...funny part is you can go out and buy Switchcraft, Neutrik or Shure XLRs and Belden or Mogami or Whirlwind cable and whip up custom lengths for <$10 a piece..and this is the stuff the pros use, the stuff that nearly every studio uses...It's OK for the recording end, but somehow inferior for playback use...the logic escapes me...

jimHJJ(...and it always will...)

Feanor
05-30-2007, 09:43 AM
...funny part is you can go out and buy Switchcraft, Neutrik or Shure XLRs and Belden or Mogami or Whirlwind cable and whip up custom lengths for <$10 a piece..and this is the stuff the pros use, the stuff that nearly every studio uses...It's OK for the recording end, but somehow inferior for playback use...the logic escapes me...

jimHJJ(...and it always will...)

I bought a pair of 6' balanced cables from Blue Jeans, Belden + Neutrik, for $58 plus shipping. They sound wonderful to me, that is, they sound like components they connect. If there are better out there but that cost 10x as much, I'm not sure I want to know about them.
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/balancedaudio/index.htm

(You'll save a little making your own from stock cable and connectors but it isn't worth the hassle, IMO.)

Resident Loser
05-30-2007, 10:21 AM
I bought a pair of 6' balanced cables from Blue Jeans, Belden + Neutrik, for $58 plus shipping. They sound wonderful to me, that is, they sound like components they connect. If there are better out there but that cost 10x as much, I'm not sure I want to know about them.
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/balancedaudio/index.htm

(You'll save a little making your own from stock cable and connectors but it isn't worth the hassle, IMO.)

...you pay for the convenience and BJs prices certainly seem reasonable...The XLRs can be had for around $3 each and the wire is really way less per linear foot, but then you have to slog around for the components and there is the cutting and stripping and soldering...and it certainly can be a drag...particularly when you are champing at the bit to hook up something new. When you figure it out and to provide a realistic profit margin, that $58/pr seems fair indeed.

I sincerely doubt that the stuff that costs 10x as much is 10x "better" in any measureable way...

jimHJJ(...at least to the user...)

O'Shag
07-01-2007, 10:27 PM
Transparent