Surround Back [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Surround Back

Ace H
05-24-2007, 09:51 PM
When you don't have the space behind the sofa for surround back speakers, has anyone tried placing the surround backs to the front as you would do with "presence" speakers?

I had a Yamaha RX-V1400 which gave the option to use surround back OR presence speakers (but NOT both). The unit I currently have does not have the otpion for presence speakers only surround back. I've always felt that surround back and presence function was practically the same which is why the RX-V1400 did not allow you to run both at the same time.

Ace H
05-25-2007, 08:22 AM
I tried the hook-up (with S Backs up front) with a few feet of wire I had left. Listening to FM Radio in 7 ch stereo with this setup appears to add more fullness to the front speakrs overall. However, it seems to throw things of track when listening in DPLIIx and Neo modes.

I think I was psychologically hooked on seeing the DPL IIx indicator light up rather than just the DPL II indicator. Before I run out and buy more wire and other equipment to HANG the speakrs in the rear where they belong, would it be worth the hassle since there isn't much REAL 7.1 information available? Would 5.1 be sufficient in this case? I would only use the 7.1 channels for music and DPL IIx listening.

likeitloud
05-25-2007, 01:30 PM
I tried it for awhile, not a huge change, however I've read most Blu-Ray are, or will be
7.1 very soon. To bad you don't use a Pioneer, All Mid priced and up AVR's can
configure the Back ch to a Bi-wire to the main speakers, which I did, and works
perfectly.

Ace H
05-25-2007, 01:35 PM
My receiver does allow me to bi-AMP, but my main speakers (JBL S38) aren't bi-wire speakers.

Wireworm5
05-25-2007, 04:35 PM
I have my rear speaker by the tv facing the front wall. It's pointing in the right direction just closer to the wall. Music sounds full not thin sounding in MC stereo. Not a big change but I can't go back to the thin sound of before.

PeruvianSkies
05-25-2007, 07:32 PM
When you don't have the space behind the sofa for surround back speakers, has anyone tried placing the surround backs to the front as you would do with "presence" speakers?

I had a Yamaha RX-V1400 which gave the option to use surround back OR presence speakers (but NOT both). The unit I currently have does not have the otpion for presence speakers only surround back. I've always felt that surround back and presence function was practically the same which is why the RX-V1400 did not allow you to run both at the same time.

If you don't have room behind your sofa than chances are your room isn't big enough for 7.1 to really be an issue. Stick with 5.1 and you should be all good, especially if all 5 speakers are good quality.