What a great freaking day for music [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What a great freaking day for music

Jim Clark
05-22-2007, 11:32 AM
The long awaited (at least by me and Grandpa Swish) Boxer by The National. Sounds pretty freaking good even though it's through crappy monitor speakers here at work. (No I'm not stealing time). Up to track 3 and I love it so far.

-Grabbed even longer awaited full length s/t album by Voxtrot. What I actually heard I liked quite a bit.

-A decently reviewed Erasure album was too hard to pass on. Gonna play that as soon as I can bear to eject The National.

-Anyone grab the Wheat album? That one snuck by the local record store curators. Gonna have to wait until they get it in. Samples didn't sound especially impressive so I'd love to hear if their oversight saved me some money!

After some careful deliberation I passed on the new Stars album too. I was all psyched until I realized it was simply a remix of their previous release, Set Yourself On Fire. I love that one but do I really need a remix by the bands buds? Read a review on metacritic that said it was so good that it blew the original away. We'll see.

Hope y'all found something wicked.

jc

Rae
05-23-2007, 08:22 AM
Nothing on my radar this week, although I am looking forward to the release of Shellac's Excellent Italian Greyhound on 6/5.

~Rae

Monkey Bones
05-23-2007, 12:15 PM
The long awaited (at least by me and Grandpa Swish) Boxer by The National.
Me too, you midwestern weenie! The National is one of my favorite bands. This'll be #1 with a bullet when I get my sticky fingers on it. And I want that Voxtrot too! I feel like I'm living in that Vapors' song, ya know the one, I think I'm turning Jimmyclark, I think I'm turning Jimmyclark, I really think so ... what was that song about again ... oh yeah, now I remember :)

Hey, so goofy Sparklehorseys are bringing the hot fun here in the sticks, in the summertime previiew. Like cranking up the way back machine. Me and Mr. Peabody....

I stayed in a lake of fire
my bed was an ancient pyre
the stars all fell into the sea
I can’t see the light for the trees
for the trees

Swish
05-24-2007, 03:48 AM
....deepdiscountcd.com, along with Sky Blue Sky, Volta from Bjork, Details by Frou Frou, and Speak for Yourself from Imogen Heap. Still digging that Thirteen Cities from Richmond Fontaine, Amy Winehouse, the Hold Steady....that's enough for now!

G Swish

Jim Clark
05-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Me too, you midwestern weenie! The National is one of my favorite bands. This'll be #1 with a bullet when I get my sticky fingers on it. And I want that Voxtrot too! I feel like I'm living in that Vapors' song, ya know the one, I think I'm turning Jimmyclark, I think I'm turning Jimmyclark, I really think so ... what was that song about again ... oh yeah, now I remember :)

Hey, so goofy Sparklehorseys are bringing the hot fun here in the sticks, in the summertime previiew. Like cranking up the way back machine. Me and Mr. Peabody....

I stayed in a lake of fire
my bed was an ancient pyre
the stars all fell into the sea
I can’t see the light for the trees
for the trees

Well, I didn't want to speak for you since sometimes you don't need to dig too deep into a catalog before you're ready to discover the next latest and greatest. I did kinda figure that you'd want this one though.

So far the Voxtrot isn't ringing my bell all the way through. Pretty decent throughout but no National, that's for sure. See it in spots, then it just goes away.

My past performance is not indicative of your results. Of course the disclaimer is understood.

jc

unleasHell
05-27-2007, 08:10 PM
well I just got a "MAN" double CD titled: "1971-1975 Keep on Crinting"

Man was a prog/jam band from Wales, they actually regrouped and put out another record recently...

check them out on AMG (All Music.com)

Swish
05-29-2007, 12:13 PM
well I just got a "MAN" double CD titled: "1971-1975 Keep on Crinting"

Man was a prog/jam band from Wales, they actually regrouped and put out another record recently...

check them out on AMG (All Music.com)
...they ever put out on vinyl. The one has incredible 'pop out' art work...you know...when you open the album jacket, a large map or something pops up. It's really cool, and I understand it's also very valuable to collectors. I have to get the name of that one for you.

G Swish

ForeverAutumn
05-29-2007, 01:54 PM
Did you say 'Man". My bust bud Bob has everything...

There has to be a joke in there somewhere. Something about a man-bra and Swish's bust bud.

Swish
05-29-2007, 02:15 PM
There has to be a joke in there somewhere. How could there possibly be prog fans still inhabiting the earth? Didn't they become extinct around the same time as the dinosaurs?

Well said Fall Girl.

G Swish

ForeverAutumn
05-29-2007, 06:07 PM
There has to be a joke in there somewhere. How could there possibly be prog fans still inhabiting the earth? Didn't they become extinct around the same time as the dinosaurs?

You should know Grandpa, you're old enough to have been around for the extinction.

unleasHell
05-29-2007, 06:55 PM
...they ever put out on vinyl. The one has incredible 'pop out' art work...you know...when you open the album jacket, a large map or something pops up. It's really cool, and I understand it's also very valuable to collectors. I have to get the name of that one for you.

G Swish

I HAVE THAT ONE, WITH THE MAP, IT IS VERY COOL...

THANKS

Rae
06-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Nothing on my radar this week, although I am looking forward to the release of Shellac's Excellent Italian Greyhound on 6/5.

bump! this comes out tomorrow!

~Rae

ForeverAutumn
06-04-2007, 05:45 AM
bump! this comes out tomorrow!

~Rae

Along with the new Dream Theater!