The best from ECM label [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The best from ECM label

Demetrio
05-22-2007, 06:50 AM
I tend to like the typical music from this German label a lot : avant-garde jazz/fusion at the best, with great instrumentists and high quality recordings.

Some of my favorite artists from this label:

- TERJE RYPDAL
- DAVID TORN
- JAN GARBAREK
- STEVE TIBBETTS
- ARILD ANDERSEN
- NILS PETTER MOLVAER
- JOHN SURMAN
- BUGGE WESSELTOFT
- EGBERTO GISMONTI

Which other great ECM artists can we add to this list?

Kind regards,
Demetrio.

3-LockBox
05-22-2007, 10:00 AM
Well, I'm not at all familiar with any of those acts, but that isn't a surprise, all things considered. I don't doubt that they're good music because I don't think I've had a bad recommendation form you yet.

BTW: What are you listening to lately?

Did you ever get into that Pure Reason Revolution CD. I love it. The next album they come out with is an automatic buy for me (whenever that is).

Did you ever hear Carptree? Very good neo-prog it is.

I've become a huge fan of Ritual and Kaipa thanks to your comps from long ago. I still listen to those comps, having added them to my MP3 player rotation.

Don't be a stranger. We're an unruley lot without you.

Demetrio
05-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Well, I'm not at all familiar with any of those acts, but that isn't a surprise, all things considered. I don't doubt that they're good music because I don't think I've had a bad recommendation form you yet.
In fact I'm really in love with most of this ECM stuff, especially TERJE RYPDAL, DAVID TORN and NILS PETTER MOLVAER. Wonderful music.

What are you listening to lately?
Beyond progressive rock, some great Fusion, Electrojazz, Avant-Garde Jazz and Crossover/Smooth Jazz stuff too, such as:

- BRAND X
- METRO
- VERTÚ
- NIACIN
- TREY GUNN
- BOZZIO LEVIN STEVENS
- GORDIAN KNOT
- TERJE RYPDAL
- NILS PETTER MOLVER
- ERIK TRUFFAZ
- DAVID TORN
- JAN GARBAREK
- STEVE TIBBETTS
- YELLOWJACKETS
- JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT
- BRIAN BROMBERG
- JEFF GOLUB
- BÉLA FLECK & THE FLECKTONES
- MILES DAVIS (electric/later stuff especially)
- MIKE KENEALLY (thanks Troy for this)

Some great modern rock:

- DREDG
- MEW
- MÚM
- SIGUR RÓS
- SECRET MACHINES

Some pretty awesome pop/alt-rock:

- OCTOBER PROJECT
- CHRIS REA
- STEELY DAN
- DAVID SYLVIAN
- THE BLUE NILE
- RAY WILSON
- COLDPLAY
- DOVES
- TALK TALK
- THE CHURCH
- MICKEY HART
- JULEE CRUISE
- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

Trip-Hop / Electronic / Ambient:

- MORCHEEBA
- ZERO 7
- MASSIVE ATTACK
- THIEVERY CORPORATION
- JAH WOBBLE
- BILL LASWELL
- AIR
- M83
- AMETHYSTIUM
- DELERIUM
- ULRICH SCHNAUSS
- ROBERT RICH
- TUU
- STEVE ROACH
- KEVIN BRAHENY
- CONSTANCE DEMBY

Some awesome "hard-to-describe" stuff:

- HECTOR ZAZOU
- OYSTEIN SEVAG
- DEAD CAN DANCE
- BARK PSYCHOSIS

And, of course, some of my all-time favorite prog bands (old and new), such as:

- CAMEL
- ELOY
- RENAISSANCE
- STRAWBS
- THE ENID
- PORCUPINE TREE
- ISILDURS BANE
- IONA
- MOSTLY AUTUMN
- OZRIC TENTACLES
- ANEKDOTEN
- PAATOS
- CIRCLE
- NO-MAN
- BLACKFIELD
- PINEAPPLE THIEF
- PURE REASON REVOLUTION
- MARILLION
- IQ
- PALLAS
- JADIS
- SOLARIS
- TANGENT
- FLOWER KINGS
- PENDRAGON
- BAUER
- LOS JAIVAS

Did you ever get into that Pure Reason Revolution CD. I love it. The next album they come out with is an automatic buy for me (whenever that is).
Yes, I got "Dark Third" some time ago and loved it too. Can't also wait for their next full album.

Did you ever hear Carptree? Very good neo-prog it is.
Not yet. Thanks for the suggestion!!

I've become a huge fan of Ritual and Kaipa thanks to your comps from long ago. I still listen to those comps, having added them to my MP3 player rotation.
I'm glad to know that. ;-)

Don't be a stranger. We're an unruley lot without you.
After solving some problems in my life, I'm finally back and promise not to go away anymore. ;-))

Best prog regards,
Demetrio.

3-LockBox
05-22-2007, 12:04 PM
You may want to check out some Milliontown as well. Also OSI's new one.

A recent ambient/rock favorite of mine is Kosheen.

If you like Brand X, check out the Dixie Dregs first two or three albums (recently remastered). For more guitar oriented fusion stuff, you might check out Greg Howe's Hyperacuity album; also Devin Townsend.

I've been wanting to check out some Ray wilson ever since the last RPWL album. And I love Gordian Knot. I have the Secret Machine's Now Here Is Nowhere album from a few years back. You may like Dead Soul Tribe as well.

Demetrio
05-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks for all suggestions, 3LB, I will have to check these out.

I found Secret Machine's new album, "Ten Silver Drops", even better than the first. There's a song on it, "Daddy's in the Doldrums", that is a real prog gemm.

I know some Dead Soul Tribe stuff and must say I don't like it so much. Maybe too metal for my taste.

Cheers,
Demetrio.

BarryL
05-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Can't forget Pat Metheny, Keith Jarrett, and Eberhard Webber. Also, John Abercrombie.

Rae
05-23-2007, 08:19 AM
I'll echo Barry; when I think of this label, I think of artists like Jarrett and Metheny.

I'm sure I have a couple of releases by ECM artists in my collection, but the only one that leaps immediately to mind is the Estonian composer Arvo Pärt. Tabula Rasa, Alina, and Te Deum are all very good.

~Rae