Streaming iTunes [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Streaming iTunes

Hal
05-21-2007, 11:59 AM
I have a working wireless network at home (linksys). However, I have now learned that if I used Apple's Airport Express I can stream iTunes from my laptop and play it through my stereo. Does anyone do this? If so, are you please with the sound?

noddin0ff
05-22-2007, 04:44 AM
Yes. Works great. Apple's Airport Express has a mini 1/8" jack that has both digital optical and analog output. I use the digital optical output to my receiver with a 1/8" mini-optical to toslink adapter. Sounds no different than the digital output of my CD player, and it shouldn't--the digital stream is the same PCM data. I can't comment on the AE's analog output, I have never used it. I also disable the equalizer in iTunes.

In my arrangement (all digital stream to receiver) the critical factor is the type of file you're streaming. All my files are in lossless formats. Lossless formats will stream the same data a digital connection from a CD player would. iTunes supports WAV, AIFF and Apple's Lossless compressed format ALE. If you use any of the lossy compressed formats that iTunes supports (MP3, AAC) they will sound worse as you lower the resolution used to encode them. 128kbps will sound worse than 192kbps, for example.

Currently I have a networked hard drive that stores my iTunes library. Any of the 4 laptops in my home can access this wirelessly for local listening and/or stream wirelessly to any home stereo hooked to an Airport Express. Cool!

Hal
05-22-2007, 07:54 AM
Thanks noddinOff. I am not sure what format my iTunes library is in (WAV, AIFF, or ALE), but from what you say, I should be pleased overall. Thanks again.