Any schematics for EFE DIY speaker cabinets? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any schematics for EFE DIY speaker cabinets?

bcass
05-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Hi - I want to build Ed Frias' speakers for myself and will buy the hardware kits from Madisound. I also want to build my own cabinets, and I have Ed's text instructions.

Has anyone drawn up a CAD or other picture of the speaker cabinets that I could work from? I'm a visual guy and pictures are much easier to work with for me. Also, is there a link somewhere to help with how to laminate or veneer the MDF?

Thanks!
Bryan

kexodusc
05-20-2007, 03:37 AM
Hi bcass,
I don't have any CAD files or anything, but cutting the cabinets isn't terribly hard. They measure 13 x 8-3/4 x 9-1/4 inches. Depending how you cut them you'll get different sized pieces along those dimensions of course. I'll go back and check, I might have a crude Excel file with a diagram, but I lost a lot of data a few months ago when Windows self-destructed on me. Do you have dado blades or are you planning on using butt joints?

As for finishing. I'd almost recommend you look at the vinyl laminate Parts Express sells. This stuff looks good, is cheap, and easy, and much less costly for someone just starting out who's never veneered before. The black ash and cherry are excellent. I had veneering experience before my first speaker project, speakers can be a bit tricky. The vinyl goes on like a great big sticker.

If you want to veneer, you'll have to decide between iron on, paper-back, etc and what adhesive to use. Iron on is probably easiest for newbies, but it can be a bit pricey to buy enough for your projects.

When it comes to cutting the driver and port holes, the Jasper Jig is your friend. Just trust me and buy it!

bcass
02-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Hi bcass,
I don't have any CAD files or anything, but cutting the cabinets isn't terribly hard. They measure 13 x 8-3/4 x 9-1/4 inches. Depending how you cut them you'll get different sized pieces along those dimensions of course. I'll go back and check, I might have a crude Excel file with a diagram, but I lost a lot of data a few months ago when Windows self-destructed on me. Do you have dado blades or are you planning on using butt joints?

As for finishing. I'd almost recommend you look at the vinyl laminate Parts Express sells. This stuff looks good, is cheap, and easy, and much less costly for someone just starting out who's never veneered before. The black ash and cherry are excellent. I had veneering experience before my first speaker project, speakers can be a bit tricky. The vinyl goes on like a great big sticker.

If you want to veneer, you'll have to decide between iron on, paper-back, etc and what adhesive to use. Iron on is probably easiest for newbies, but it can be a bit pricey to buy enough for your projects.

When it comes to cutting the driver and port holes, the Jasper Jig is your friend. Just trust me and buy it!

Believe it or not, I am finally ready to buy the hardware for these speakers... 9 mos. later! :-)

Has anything changed since May, or is Madisound still the place to get the drivers and crossovers? I want to build 4 bookshelf units and then I'm going to find plans somewhere for a sub, but I'll do the bookshelf ones first.

So what is a Jasper Jig, and why do I need it? :-)

Bryan