LCD vs PLasma the age old question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : LCD vs PLasma the age old question

taurusnyy
05-19-2007, 05:16 AM
I have a LCD 32 inch in my bedroom. It looks great on HD channels but other channels are somewhat less to be desired. I now want a 42inch + tv for my livingroom which will be seen by most of my guests. Do people feel that a plasma will be worth the extra money if it will be for everyone to watch? Do non-hd channels look good? I will post another question regarding recommendations on both types. Thanks I am just starting my research. My price range is 2000- 3500 max

recoveryone
05-19-2007, 07:40 AM
You pretty much answered your own question, any display that is HD compatible will shine compared to showing non-HD signals. Its just part of the technology gains we have made. Its no fault of the displays, more of your broadcast provider and which they will put the blame on the host/owners of the stations. Even though just about every show is made in HD now compaines will still try to cut corners by sell the signal in a low waveband. I have Universal HD channel (Universal Studios) and I watch shows that were made in HD but not broadcast in HD.......Battlestar Galactica, Friefly, Smallville, to name a few. So its not really about which display will do better, but more about your provider and the content they offer and the format they offer it in.

jrhymeammo
05-19-2007, 08:59 PM
How about a 60 Inch by Vizio? Not the greatest, but I was pretty impressed with a 50" for $1299 at CC. It wasnt as good as a Samsung, but I think the picture quality is better than a batch of LCD.

pixelthis
05-19-2007, 10:24 PM
I just checked out my friends new 1080p vizio 47incher;
WOW
There is some minor noise in the background but this is probably the cable.
The geometric distortion is more prevalent on the larger screen and really bugs him.
The way non hidef stuff looks is a non issue, most shows have been shot in HD for years.
More and more stations are offering hd versions of themselves.
Digital channels helps, these tend to look better, but just about all analog is garbage.
The only way I get a good rec from my sony dvd recorder is a line im from my cable box.
As for LVD VS PLASMA, both have shortcomings.
RIGHT NOW THE ULTIMATE IS A THREE CHIP sxrd from Sony.
First on my list if I hit the lotto, but right now my 37in vizio serves fine.
The differences in pic are just too small for me to justify the engineering shortcomings
of plasma (burn-in, shorter life, more difficult to live with)

Groundbeef
05-20-2007, 05:07 PM
One big advantage for the Plasma is a wider viewing angle than LCD. So depending upon size of your room and # of guests the plasma may be better for group viewings.

I prefer plasma anyway, but your milage may vary.

nightflier
05-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Unfortunately only a few good-quality Plasmas have 1080p at a decent price point (haven't seen the Visio, yet). The best picture I've seen are on the Pioneers, but they don't even make a 1080p tv yet. Another concern for me was heat and energy consumption, and the LCDs typically are more energy-friendly.

But ultimately, it's the picture that matters and to be perfectly honest, I haven't seen many LCDs that match up well against the better Plasmas. The first LCD that has impressed me so far is the Sharp Aquos (the 82 or 92 model), but it's more expensive than a comparably sized Plasma.