PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys...

basite
05-19-2007, 03:02 AM
:ihih: :ihih:

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/IMG_0179.jpg

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/finished2.JPG

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/finished1.JPG

sorry for the bad pics, I used the bad cam, hi-res pictures are coming soon :)

and man, this rocks, my denon has (against all my expectancies) no real troubles driving the 4 advents, soundstage is huge, lots and lots and lots of sound, a nice bass increase, while not becoming too much, great imaging, crisp highs, smooth mids, what more can one want? :cornut:

a more detailed review is coming later too (together with the hi-res pics, most likely tomorrow).

Now keep them spinning!
Bert.

jrhymeammo
05-19-2007, 04:40 AM
You crazy fool......I LOVE IT.

Looks like reforming went smoothly.

Happy Listening,

JRA

JohnMichael
05-19-2007, 06:30 AM
Everything is looking good. Advents were my first quality speakers when I was in college in the mid 70's. A few friends had stacked Advents and I remember how great they sounded. Congratulations.

basite
05-21-2007, 07:43 AM
thanks,

replacing the sphynx woofers could be (read as: most likely will be :) ) something for this summer vacation, big chance that I'll refinish the other pair too, and give them a nice recap & rewire too :) so they match exactly to the 'new' pair :)
the sphynxes will then be put away, or used as a 'reinforcement' since they take slightly more power than the original advent woofers.

anyways,
the finish worked out suprisingly good,
first we sanded the cabinets 1 layer of varnish with a few drips of paint, so you get coloured varnish, and then 5 extra layers of completely transparent varnish, they're nice & soft now :)

this is when they were just sanded:

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/IMG_0262.jpg

all the dust was removed from the sanding, then they were varnished.

this is a more detailed shot of the finish:

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/IMG_0205.jpg

and another complete system shot:

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/IMG_0211.jpg

it definately sounds better with both pairs playing together, sound is really big, just like a wall (ok, alot of you guys have a real wall of sound) of sound coming to you. Also, music becomes more natural, and more 'live' the mids are coming out much better, highs are less stressed, and that bass :ihih: :)

Update: dad just let me know that when I pass this year (for school, that is) I'll get a new pair of woofers (new original ones, like the ones from simplyspeakers or so) for free :)

Keep them rocking
Bert.

Bernd
05-21-2007, 07:59 AM
......congrats.:6:

Bert, well done, and kudos to you for doing such a great job. And with the promise of new original woofers yet to come. Well you know what to do. Study,study, study.

But friend, most of all enjoy the music coming from the stacked pair.

Peace

:16:

basite
05-21-2007, 08:14 AM
Thanks again,
it took a long time, but yes, I made it ... :)

Cheers,
and keep them spinning,
Bert.

GMichael
05-21-2007, 08:26 AM
Great job, and thanks for the cool pics.

So what's next?

basite
05-21-2007, 08:28 AM
a beefy amp, probably :ihih:

most likely a parasound Halo A23...

...and the pair of woofers, and new cables, and refinishing the other pair of advents...

GMichael
05-21-2007, 08:31 AM
Good choice. This baby is on my future list also.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=2PAHA23

E-Stat
05-21-2007, 08:45 AM
and man, this rocks, my denon has (against all my expectancies) no real troubles driving the 4 advents, soundstage is huge, lots and lots and lots of sound, a nice bass increase, while not becoming too much, great imaging, crisp highs, smooth mids, what more can one want?
So long as the amp is happy with a 4 ohm load (min 2.6), then you are actually running it at a lower power output for a given level (you picked up 6 db efficiency increase using doubles.).

Thirty five years after their introduction, they are still capable of great results. Hopefully, you'll have a chance to put them in a larger room and hear what they are really capable of doing.

rw

basite
05-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Good choice. This baby is on my future list also.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=2PAHA23

you lucky bastards! :)

we have to pay €1200 for that here in belgium :(

anyhow, definately let us know how you like it when you get it :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

GMichael
05-21-2007, 09:07 AM

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

I may be old and gray by time that... Oh.... make that, older and grayer before I finally fill my order.

coastrat
05-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Ha, someone was telling me about stacking my speakers like that for the first time yesterday.

I have a pair of B&W 601's and 602's, think I should do it? :)

basite
05-21-2007, 10:33 AM
I don't think that would make such an enourmous difference, you could try, but first of all, what are you driving them with? B&W's have some serious independance swings...

GMichael
05-21-2007, 10:52 AM
I don't think that would make such an enourmous difference, you could try, but first of all, what are you driving them with? B&W's have some serious independance swings...

You are killing me. Do you mean impedance swings?

basite
05-21-2007, 10:58 AM
crap, I knew I was going to type it wrong, thanks for telling me :)

GMichael
05-21-2007, 11:17 AM
No problem Evil Master. I am an independant swinger as well.

coastrat
05-21-2007, 12:29 PM

Please to explain.

I am running them through an old Yamaha Rx 353 (?) integrated amp.

GMichael
05-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Please to explain.

I am running them through an old Yamaha Rx 353 (?) integrated amp.

What he means is, that although they are rated at 8 ohms (not sure if this is true or if it's 6 or 4) that they are not at 8 ohms all the way through the 20 to 20k frequency range. At some frequencies they will dip lower. Some amps have no problem with these dips. Others do. Some would fizzle and smoke.

Feanor
05-21-2007, 02:38 PM

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Bert, congrats on your terrific work with the Advents.

As for the A23, yeah, 1200 Euros is away too expensive for this amp given other options in that price range. Don't know why Parasound is so greed, or more likely, why they tolerate their foreign distributors gouging in this manner. If it's any comfort, the Parasounds are similarily over priced here in Canada.

But say! Looking for a bargain power amp? I'll tell you what's tempting me: it's this AudioSource model that this guy is flogging on eBay at the moment, (he has quite a few for sale). This is unit is a Tripath digital amp -- same technology as, e.g., the Bel Canto eVo2 which cost US$3000. I had a Bel Canto eVo2i integrate which was a very fine amp indeed. ....

http://cgi.ebay.ca/AudioSource-2-CH-Class-T-Digital-Stereo-Power-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ120123310044QQihZ002QQcategoryZ 39783QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I guess the rub for you would b that it's no doubt 120V.

basite
05-22-2007, 11:05 AM
that's a really nice price!

and I probably would have bought it when I liked digital amps, but they're just not my thing...
if I can't afford the parasound, I could also buy a rotel RB-1070, and double that later on (run them bridged), I also saw some nice used stuff lately, they could be it too when I don't have enough money...
but still: yes, parasound is greedy...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

GMichael
05-22-2007, 11:09 AM
that's a really nice price!

and I probably would have bought it when I liked digital amps, but they're just not my thing...
if I can't afford the parasound, I could also buy a rotel RB-1070, and double that later on (run them bridged), I also saw some nice used stuff lately, they could be it too when I don't have enough money...
but still: yes, parasound is greedy...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Dude, nothing against Parasound, but the reason they are on my list is that they are affordable quality. You must have something over there that would be more affordable, that I would have picked if it weren't so expensive here.
Just a thought. What brands are made out your way? NAD?

basite
05-22-2007, 11:49 AM
rotel prices are reasonable here, primare isn't more expensive than it is in the USA, but they're still pretty expensive, nad is an option, but I'd rather pick a rotel then...

thing is that the parasound is better than the rotel, so if I had the money, I'd buy the parasound, and if I don't, and the rotel doesn't impress me enough, I'd save for the parasound...
then there also is Vincent, beefy amps, but I hear some bad stuff about them, although the sp-331 looks darn tempting...

another reason why I want the parasound is that it haves xlr inputs, which might become useful later on, which is when I replace the denon.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

likeitloud
05-22-2007, 01:42 PM
Super Job! Stacked advents are an excellent vintage set up. Also, Very nice woodworking.
It's great to see vintage speaks reborn, Hang in there with the school thing.

emorphien
05-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Looks awesome!