Next [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Next

ForeverAutumn
05-18-2007, 06:48 PM
We had some free movie passes that expired yesterday, so we decided to go to a movie last night rather than let them expire unused. Since it was a school-night, we wanted to go to a short movie that started early, so we decided to see Next. I liked the cast (Nicolas Cage, Julianne Moore, Jessica Biel) and it was only 96 minutes long.

Every review that I read of this movie was bad. We walked into the theatre and there was only one other couple in there. By the time it started, there were 8 people in the theatre, and we made up 4 of that 8. So I didn't have high hopes for this film. But it was free and the popcorn was good so what the hell.

The premise of the movie is basically Groundhog Day, but instead of repeating every 24 hours, Nic Cage is able to see two minutes into the future. If he doesn't like the outcome of the next two minutes, he can keep repeating the scenario until he gets it right. This ends up being a trait that the FBI is very interested in. The movie ended up being action packed and a lot of fun. And 96 minutes was just the right length to enjoy the story without it getting old.

If you go to this film and try to take it seriously, you'll be very disappointed. But if you go to it expecting the cheesy action flick that it is, you'll have a good time.

Worf101
05-19-2007, 07:36 AM
For someone who just "wandered in here" by accident, you've become as indispensable as the furniture. Thanks for the review. Did you see "DejaVu" with Denzel from last year? If so how do they compare? Again... thanks for the heads up and where's my popcorn?

Da Worfster

ForeverAutumn
05-19-2007, 10:22 AM
For someone who just "wandered in here" by accident, you've become as indispensable as the furniture. Thanks for the review. Did you see "DejaVu" with Denzel from last year? If so how do they compare? Again... thanks for the heads up and where's my popcorn?

Da Worfster

I think there's a compliment somewhere in there with being compared to a piece of furniture, so Thanks (I think). :D

I didn't see DejaVu, so I can't answer that question. Sorry.

The nice thing about the cheesiness of this movie, is that it appeared that even the folks who made it were aware of it's humour. The credits ran from bottom to top, which seemed strangely appropriate after seeing the film.

s dog
05-20-2007, 05:21 PM
We had some free movie passes that expired yesterday, so we decided to go to a movie last night rather than let them expire unused. Since it was a school-night, we wanted to go to a short movie that started early, so we decided to see Next. I liked the cast (Nicolas Cage, Julianne Moore, Jessica Biel) and it was only 96 minutes long.

Every review that I read of this movie was bad. We walked into the theatre and there was only one other couple in there. By the time it started, there were 8 people in the theatre, iel and we made up 4 of that 8. So I didn't have high hopes for this film. But it was free and the popcorn was good so what the hell.

The premise of the movie is basically Groundhog Day, but instead of repeating every 24 hours, Nic Cage is able to see two minutes into the future. If he doesn't like the outcome of the next two minutes, he can keep repeating the scenario until he gets it right. This ends up being a trait that the FBI is very interested in. The movie ended up being action packed and a lot of fun. And 96 minutes was just the right length to enjoy the story without it getting old.

If you go to this film and try to take it seriously, you'll be very disappointed. But if you go to it expecting the cheesy action flick that it is, you'll have a good time. I went and seen it tonight, It wasn't to bad of a film, for the most part i injoyed it and Jessica Biel looked good as ever, BTW i was the only person in this theater, kinda lonely but at least no one got up and walked in front of me.