Underrated. Underappreciated. Underseen. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Underrated. Underappreciated. Underseen.

PeruvianSkies
05-17-2007, 10:47 PM
My spotlight "Most Underrated" person working in Hollywood right now is Joel Schumacher. I decided to dedicate this thread to his work by sharing some thoughts and opinions on them. Feel free to agree or disagree or nominate your own candidate.

http://www.avclub.com/content/files/images/avclub_review66.article.jpg

Let's begin by his body of work....

Joel's career began with some rather campy films like D.C CAB and THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING WOMAN in the early 1980's. His career took a turn for the better shortly after with the popular ST. ELMO'S FIRE in 1985 and hit success again with one of my personal favs in 1987 with THE LOST BOYS. Then came the rather odd film COUSINS in 1989 starring Ted Danson and Isabella Rosellini. While not a terrible film, it had mixed results and was hardly noticed shortly after. Then came 1990's FLATLINERS, which still holds up well as a very good film with some great soon-to-be big stars like Julia Roberts and Kevin Bacon. This marks the end of his first decade as a filmmaker with some minimal successes, but nothing major at this point. Proving himself to be competant with just about any type of project and with good talent the 1990's would be his most challenging decade...

http://members.fortunecity.com/tmoseley/images/index.1.jpg

His first disaster in my opinion was 1991's DYING YOUNG, again casting Julia Roberts, but 1993 would see his first highly-regarding film and one of my all-time favorites FALLING DOWN starring a superb Michael Douglas in one of his finest roles to date. This film has aged incredibly well and is a very interesting post-9/11 viewing. Riding on that success came the adaptation of THE CLIENT, which would star a young Brad Renfro and some other terrific talents like Susan Sarandon and Tommy Lee Jones. Unfortunately after working with Tommy Lee Jones here, then came the awful BATMAN FOREVER, which was then followed a few years later and directed yet again by Schumacher BATMAN & ROBIN. I can't decide which one is more attrocious. Fortunately A TIME TO KILL separates those two disasters, which is one of Sandra Bullocks' best films in her spotty career. After a few mixed successes Joel then went on a superb streak of films that were highly underappreciated in my opinion.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/whitebread555/falling_down.jpg

8MM starrring Nicolas Cage is often overlooked or blown off as a softcore film, but it's actually a terrific film co-starring Jacquin Phoenix in a terrific role and this is one of Cage's best roles. FLAWLESS was another underseen film from 1999 starring two of the best talents in cinematic history: DeNiro and Hoffman (not Dustin Hoffman, but Philip Seymour Hoffman). Great story, great acting, and yet few have seen or enjoy this film. The streak continues with 2000's TIGERLAND starring a yet hardly known Colin Farrel and is one of the better war pictures of the past few years, despite being fairly forgotten. Up for debate is 2002's BAD COMPANY starring Anthony Hopkin's and Chris Rock. Most people hated this film, I personally laughed my butt off the entire time. I enjoyed the chemistry and seeing Hopkin's doing this type of film. It was silly for sure, but I still liked it despite that fact.

If you didn't care for BAD COMPANY than maybe that same year you enjoyed PHONE BOOTH, a terrific thriller again starring Colin Farrel and written by Larry Cohen, one of the better writer/directors of B-films. PHONE BOOTH gained a strong foothold again for Schumacher as he then helmed VERONICA GUERIN, which is a highly overlooked film that most people never even heard of. The film stars Cate Blanchett playing the Irish Journalist based on the true events from 1996 regarding drugs and murder. Schumacher then returns back to his average-ness with PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, which was both loved and hated by critics. Theater people tend to also feel the same way about it, it's definitely a lavish and lush film with incredibly cinematography, but it put me to sleep.

http://www.independentcritics.com/images/phone%20booth%20SPLASH.jpg

Finally we arrive to THE NUMBER 23 starring Jim Carrey, which has had mixed reviews and is a very different role for Carrey, although I think that's a good thing. It seems that Schumacher is never really a name that people recognize with films, despite being a rather solid filmmaker over the long haul. Over the past 25 years he has managed to only have a few poor films, but is typically dependable. He handles high-profile actors/actresses as well as bigger budget productions and low ones. He can do drama, war, comedy, and thrillers well and likes to keep a variety in his work.

He gets my vote for sure!

Smokey
05-18-2007, 06:05 PM
I have not seen some the movies you mentioned, but I agree that Falling Down is probably his best and Michael Douglas in one of his finest roles. Robert Duall was pretty good in that one too.

Unfortunately after working with Tommy Lee Jones here, then came the awful BATMAN FOREVER, which was then followed a few years later and directed yet again by Schumacher BATMAN & ROBIN. I can't decide which one is more attrocious.

Batman & Robin is the worst of two. The villains were boring, and also the Batman himself. But Batman Forever was more fun to watch with strength of Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carry. Those pairs are probably the best villains Batman had in its entire series.

SlumpBuster
05-18-2007, 07:30 PM
I go an actor nominee, one I know you like PS.

Val Kilmer. Kilmer has had a strange career path, from movies like Real Genius and Top Secret, to block busters like Top Gun. But recently he has been underappreciated. Even in his flops, he is still good when the movie around him is sinking (Alexander). But four recent woefully underseen performances are why I nominate him: Salton Sea (just good stuff), Wonderland (where he played John Holmes); Spartan (Was he really an agent?), and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Kilmer is so good that his all too brief appearance in Stateside tricked me into watching the whole movie.

PeruvianSkies
05-18-2007, 08:35 PM
I go an actor nominee, one I know you like PS.

Val Kilmer. Kilmer has had a strange career path, from movies like Real Genius and Top Secret, to block busters like Top Gun. But recently he has been underappreciated. Even in his flops, he is still good when the movie around him is sinking (Alexander). But four recent woefully underseen performances are why I nominate him: Salton Sea (just good stuff), Wonderland (where he played John Holmes); Spartan (Was he really an agent?), and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

Kilmer is so good that his all too brief appearance in Stateside tricked me into watching the whole movie.

I'm glad you mention Kilmer. Yes, an actor I really like. One of my favorite roles though that most people didn't really like was THE SAINT. I also think one of my favorite roles would be in TOMBSTONE, which wouldn't be the same without Kilmer...if it didn't have him it would be called WYATT EARP. I didn't really mind him as Batman, but the film just flat out bombed on all other levels. He was also awesome in H.E.A.T. and of course his performance in THE DOORS is top notch! Nice nomination!

eisforelectronic
05-19-2007, 07:40 AM
I'm glad you mention Kilmer. Yes, an actor I really like. One of my favorite roles though that most people didn't really like was THE SAINT. I also think one of my favorite roles would be in TOMBSTONE, which wouldn't be the same without Kilmer...if it didn't have him it would be called WYATT EARP. I didn't really mind him as Batman, but the film just flat out bombed on all other levels. He was also awesome in H.E.A.T. and of course his performance in THE DOORS is top notch! Nice nomination!

Kilmer really made Tombstone. I personally loved him in True Romance, which incidentally was a career defining movie for Brad Pitt as well. Heat has always been one of my all time favorite movies, partly because of Kilmer.

PeruvianSkies
05-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Kilmer really made Tombstone. I personally loved him in True Romance, which incidentally was a career defining movie for Brad Pitt as well. Heat has always been one of my all time favorite movies, partly because of Kilmer.

Ditto. He was brilliant as Doc Holiday...I have a funny joke with one of my friends who one time instead said Doc Hollywood....so from time to time I'll say something smart like...hey did you hear about that new movie with Michael J. Fox and the O.K. Corral?