Wilco's new one [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wilco's new one

3-LockBox
05-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Anyone hear the new Wilco, Sky Blue Sky? I've heard a few tracks on my cable channel and it sounds like like they've eschewed the noise as art approach of the last three albums and gone back to a more organic sound. The two tracks I've heard make me want to go out and get it. Anyone else got it?

I was a tad remiss that Wilco didn't contribute a track to the recent release of Endless Highway, a Band tribute album. After hearing a few tracks from Sky Blue Sky, they'd be a natural.

Mr MidFi
05-17-2007, 01:18 PM
I've been listening to a non-official version for a few weeks now. My first impression was a little underwhelming. It's a tad drowsy in spots, and never really exciting throughout.

But after several listens, it is (predictably) growing on me some. It has a very comfy feel to it, and that's not a bad thing. But I still say...if you want a more organic-sounding, less-noisy Wilco, and if you don't already have Being There, that's the one to get before this one. Just my opinion.

Audio Girl
05-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Anyone hear the new Wilco, Sky Blue Sky? I've heard a few tracks on my cable channel and it sounds like like they've eschewed the noise as art approach of the last three albums and gone back to a more organic sound. The two tracks I've heard make me want to go out and get it. Anyone else got it?

I was a tad remiss that Wilco didn't contribute a track to the recent release of Endless Highway, a Band tribute album. After hearing a few tracks from Sky Blue Sky, they'd be a natural.

I've ordered the LP. Will report back. I really hadn't purchased much music in the last 4 to 5 months but the Amy Winehouse release motivated me to get off my behind and order some stuff. Looking forward!

Ag

Mike
05-18-2007, 04:00 PM
it's just plain straightforward good stuff, nothing complicated. It's mellow so don't expect it to rock you out but I think it will easily stand the test of time and one of the best so far this year.

Cheers
Mike

Swish
05-19-2007, 06:29 AM

...because Yankee was certainly nothing like that, containing straight forward songs with very minimal soloing, or noise, as you call it. Ditto for Summerteeth, which is part of the last three unless you're counting Mermaid Avenue II, and if you are, that certainly contains nothing that would be considered 'noise as art'. I will concur that A Ghost is Born had a few tunes that could be categorized that way, but saying the last 3 is inaccurate in my humble opinion. Or am I missing something? You got some 'splaining to do!

Grandpa Swish

3-LockBox
05-19-2007, 12:51 PM
...because Yankee was certainly nothing like that, containing straight forward songs with very minimal soloing, or noise, as you call it. Ditto for Summerteeth, which is part of the last three unless you're counting Mermaid Avenue II, and if you are, that certainly contains nothing that would be considered 'noise as art'. I will concur that A Ghost is Born had a few tunes that could be categorized that way, but saying the last 3 is inaccurate in my humble opinion. Or am I missing something? You got some 'splaining to do!

Grandpa Swish

They went more of an alt rock direction on the last three, than the alt country of their roots. With a few exceptions, like Jesus, Etc, Camera, The Man Who Loves You, I find little to like off the YHF album.

Swish
05-20-2007, 08:46 AM
They went more of an alt rock direction on the last three, than the alt country of their roots. With a few exceptions, like Jesus, Etc, Camera, The Man Who Loves You, I find little to like off the YHF album.

...but that wasn't the issue, it was your line says "noise as art" that got me. I stand by my statement that only A Ghost is Born could be described that way.

Just sayin',

Grandpa Swish

3-LockBox
05-21-2007, 12:11 AM
...but that wasn't the issue, it was your line says "noise as art" that got me. I stand by my statement that only A Ghost is Born could be described that way.

Just sayin',

Grandpa Swish

maybe I used noise as art out of context...I din't mean it in a King Crimson/Robert Fripp way, I meant the approach on some of the instrumentation for certain songs. It was like Tweedy was shooting for the indie crowd.

Rae
05-21-2007, 06:44 AM
Good interview with Tweedy at the AV Club (http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/jeff_tweedy) if you haven't already read it.

http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/jeff_tweedy

~Rae

Swish
05-21-2007, 08:38 AM
maybe I used noise as art out of context...I din't mean it in a King Crimson/Robert Fripp way, I meant the approach on some of the instrumentation for certain songs. It was like Tweedy was shooting for the indie crowd.

(sigh).

Grandpa Swish

3-LockBox
05-21-2007, 09:22 AM
(yawn)

Swish
05-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Good interview with Tweedy at the AV Club (http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/jeff_tweedy) if you haven't already read it.

http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/jeff_tweedy

~Rae

...but he seems to be a genuinely humble and nice guy, and not your stereotypical rock star. My wife and I were recently in the Philly area to hit the Italian Market, which is becoming less and less Italian these days, and when in Philly, we always try to hit Manayunk and Main Street Music, a great indie music store. We always have great conversations with one of the owners (Pat), and when I mentioned Wilco, he went on and on about how he's known Jeff and Jay Farrar from the Uncle Tupelo days. He also told us that Jeff had promised years ago to bring his new band around to play a 'free show' one day...but they got too big too fast, and they just laugh about it now, realizing he could never play in a small place in Manayunk.

Anyway, this was an excellent interview and a great look inside the mind of one of my favorite songwriter/musicians.

Thanks Rae!
Swish

P.S. Pat even gave me a compilation called "Pat''s Picks", his favorites of 2006. Nice guy.

ForeverAutumn
05-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Pat even gave me a compilation called "Pat''s Picks", his favorites of 2006. Nice guy.

So what's on it?

I picked up the new Wilco yesterday, but haven't had a chance to spin it yet.

Swish
05-21-2007, 01:22 PM
So what's on it?

I picked up the new Wilco yesterday, but haven't had a chance to spin it yet.

...they are by such artists as The Hold Steady, Eliot Morris, The Hiders, Steve Dawson, Phoenix, The Slip, Rocky Votolato, Ron Sexsmith, The Lemonheads, Jason Collett, Drive-By-Truckers, The Damnwells, John Legend, Josh Rouse, Josh Ritter, Will Hoge, Radney Foster, The Tell Alls, Ben Kweller, Peter Bruntell, Jules Shear, and Matthew Sweet.

This guy has a 'Paste' appetite, can't you tell?

Grandpa Swish

ForeverAutumn
05-23-2007, 10:41 AM
After several spins of Sky Blue Sky...I like it. I don't love it. But there's some really nice stuff on it. I think that Summerteeth and YHF are both better though. I haven't heard their last one.

ForeverAutumn
05-23-2007, 10:41 AM
This guy has a 'Paste' appetite, can't you tell?

Grandpa Swish

What does that mean? Is that good or bad?

Swish
05-23-2007, 11:04 AM
What does that mean? Is that good or bad?

If you're not familiar with it, buy one copy and you'll know what I mean.

G Swish (Grandpa is too long to type)