What makes stuff like this news worthy? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What makes stuff like this news worthy?

ForeverAutumn
05-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Really. Who cares?

And who reported this to the media in the first place, anyway?

Report: U2's Bono steamed over smoke at New York penthouse

NEW YORK (AP) - Bono is grappling with a new version of the unforgettable fire, and it has nothing to do with his band's 1984 album. The rocker-activist is embroiled in a flap over fireplaces at his Manhattan apartment building, a newspaper reported Wednesday.

The U2 frontman has told co-op board members at the stately San Remo that smoke from other residents' fireplaces is wafting into the penthouse duplex he shares with his family, The New York Times reported.

The building's fireplaces have longstanding problems, said Leni May, the wife of board member Peter May.

"Bono was so nice," she said. "He said, 'Listen, whatever I can do to get these things working, but it's emptying into my apartment and I can't have smoke like that."' The singer told the board that one of his four children has asthma, Leni May said.

Principle Management, the company that manages U2, said the singer was raising a safety concern, not a personal peeve.

"This is not a Bono issue," a Principle Management representative said. "It's a building issue. It's about health and safety regulations."

The 1930 building on Central Park West has had several other celebrity residents, including actor Dustin Hoffman and actress Diane Keaton. The building's board famously said no to Madonna when she tried to buy an apartment there in 1985.

Bono bought his apartment from Apple Inc. CEO Steve Jobs, said the listing broker, Roger Erickson, a senior managing director at Sothebys International Realty.

Bono, whose real name is Paul Hewson, and his wife, Ali Hewson, also have homes in Dublin, Ireland, and in the south of France.

The singer, 47, has become prominent in politics as well as rock. He was in Germany this week to push for more aid to Africa from the world's biggest industrial countries.

kexodusc
05-16-2007, 09:34 AM
Holy crap...

Those of you who've been around probably know my feelings on Bono, but in this case, geez....leave the guy alone...if someone's smoke was blowing in my house affecting my kid's asthma I'd be doing the same thing.

Slow news day, I guess.

Next week..."Bono upset 2006 Porsche needs new brakes..."

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

GMichael
05-16-2007, 09:52 AM
Slow news day. Hey Kex, you beat me to it.
Slow here too I guess.