Sub Hum - Paradigm PDR-12 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub Hum - Paradigm PDR-12

brian_tr
02-19-2004, 09:40 PM
I have had problems with my Sub since I have had it. I just upgraded my reciever to a Yamaha 1400 and changed cable to the sub which made no difference. Mostly happens when playing at louder volumes the sub will start huming like it does when you don't have the coax plug all the way in. I can move the plug around and it goes away. I can turn the reciever off and back on and it goes away. It seems to have a good fit. I took the panel on the back of the sub off to look at the conector and you can't really tell anything. It is solder directly to the board and you can not see inside it. Any suggestions on what to do. It is driving me crazy.

kexodusc
02-20-2004, 04:43 AM
Do you have any warranty left on your sub?
Do you have another receiver around you could try it with to make sure it's not the receiver output? (although you've said you've had problems since you got it.
Do you have an extra cable around you could test?

brian_tr
02-20-2004, 06:10 AM
I just hooked up a new reciever and put a new cable on. I have had sub for about 5 years.

kexodusc
02-20-2004, 06:21 AM
So if I'm reading you straight, the sub hummed with both receivers and both cables.
Is it a high pitched hum?
What kind of cables are you using? You might be able to adjust the length of the outer receptacle, improving the connection? In my limited experience with sub-woofers, I've found cables to be fussier with the inputs, it's absolutely critcial you get a good fit.
I bought a decent Acoustic Research RCA cable on my old Paradigm PS-1000 and the connection felt tight, but sometimes I'd have to adjust the cable to get the sub to turn on when the signal was being sent.
I got really ticked off and my lady bought me a dedicated sub-woofer cable for like 30 or 40 bucks or something foolish. Normally I don't by the cable hype, but this was a solid, thick, gold plated cable with a tight, clean connection, despite being way overpriced.
I remember noticing instantly the output was cleaner and a bit louder, likely attributable to the stronger signal getting through with the better connection...it seemed to respond a bit better too.
I played around with the older cable and came to realize it was a piece of crap. I had it for over a year and kicked myself.

I'd certainly buy a good inexpensive cable before trying anything else more expensive or attempting to repair the sub.