Another basic question reg. receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Another basic question reg. receiver

barnabasvictor@yahoo.com
05-15-2007, 02:02 PM
If I have to choose between 2 HT receivers.

The 2 are 5.1 Onkyo with 75 wpc and the 7.1 Yamaha with 110 wpc.
Is it that the Onkyo is a better brand and sounds better in sound quality or is it that the Yamaha has more wpc and so the sound being better.
My primary requirement is a good sounding 2 Ch. Audio system 5.1 or 7.1 does not make a difference to me. Hope this is not too dumb a question.

elapsed
05-15-2007, 02:51 PM
A few questions to get you started --

1. What are the model numbers of the receivers you're considering?
2. What speakers do you own?
3. What are your sources (e.g. CD, DVD, turntable, etc)
4. Have you considered purchasing an integrated amp or stereo receiver instead of a surround receiver?

Don't worry about the wattage ratings on the two models, these numbers are typically inflated.

markw
05-15-2007, 05:07 PM
If I have to choose between 2 HT receivers.

The 2 are 5.1 Onkyo with 75 wpc and the 7.1 Yamaha with 110 wpc.
Is it that the Onkyo is a better brand and sounds better in sound quality or is it that the Yamaha has more wpc and so the sound being better.Why are your choices down to these two HT receivers, particularly since you follow this with...

My primary requirement is a good sounding 2 Ch. Audio system...Then you should be looking at stereo units, not HT receivers. More sound bang for your buck. I believe this as mentioned on your previous thread, no?

...5.1 or 7.1 does not make a difference to me.Then why keep bring HT receivers into the discussion?

Hope this is not too dumb a question....ominous silence...

PeruvianSkies
05-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Why are your choices down to these two HT receivers, particularly since you follow this with...

Then you should be looking at stereo units, not HT receivers. More sound bang for your buck. I believe this as mentioned on your previous thread, no?

Then why keep bring HT receivers into the discussion?

...ominous silence...

Why are there so many questions regarding receivers? I never understood this. They all pretty much do the same thing.

Rich-n-Texas
05-16-2007, 04:31 AM
It looks to me like the guy needs to first get it straight in his head... A stereo system or a Home theater system. Like Mark said he's contradicting himself.

Barnabas, I would recommend (and I'm only more-or-less a HT newbie) that you go with a Yamaha 5940, and when you're ready for your next set of speakers, which you originally said in the other thread you might eventually add, you'll be good to go. The Yamaha's (and probably ALL HT receivers) have a two channel mode which, by way of mechanical relay turns off all other channels except the mains. That, as far as I know means all output power is made available to right and left. But like I said, decide on a two channel system or a 5.1 - 7.1 system first. If you change your mind down the road, remember... eBay is your friend.

orangemuse
05-25-2007, 12:00 AM
Of course, I'll choose Yamaha over Onkyo.

barnabasvictor@yahoo.com
05-30-2007, 06:44 PM
I will be using the system 75/25 for music/movies.. Hence I am looking at only HT receivers for the setup with two good front speakers (maybe a sub also) and later add the rear and center channels. My question was more to do with this watts-per-channel thing. I have heard systems that had lower wpc sound better than other systems that had higher wpc. And one of my friends felt Onkyo was better than Yamaha's. But I felt the other way. Anyway, its all subjective. Panasonic has been suggested. I will look at that also.

mlsstl
05-30-2007, 07:19 PM
> My question was more to do with this watts-per-channel thing.

The difference between 75 watts per channel and 110 is only 1 or 2 dB in volume. The power difference is insignificant compared to how the two amps behave with the speakers you intend using. Some speakers are more "difficult" and present impedance or reactive challenges to an amp and one of the amps may sound better than the other.

If 75 watts doesn't get you enough volume, you have two choices. One is to look for something in the 150 to 200 watt plus territory or consider more efficient speakers. If high volume is a big issue for you, the latter option is probably better.

So, if you can, the test is to try both amps with the speakers you plan on using. See which sounds the best to you. Obviously appearance, features and usability are issues, too. (Some amps can be unnecessarily complicated so don't get impressed by extra knobs and buttons.)

Both Onkyo and Yamaha are respectable middle-market brands. In summary, ignore the wattage difference. Buy the one that sounds best. If you can't tell the difference in sound, then buy the one that you like best in other aspects.

Mr Peabody
05-30-2007, 07:54 PM
You basically answered your own question by saying "I thought Yamaha was better". As you said sound is subjective and if you like the Yamaha then that should be your baby.

I prefer Onkyo because their amp section is better than Yamaha are most other of their competitors. Onkyo uses a higher current output stage which will offer better control of your speakers and more slam in the bass. I would wager that in comparing the Yamaha and Onkyo receivers you mentioned the Onkyo would sound more powerful even though it has a lower power rating.