Computer to ... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Computer to ...

Julianna
05-15-2007, 07:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>Greets,

What suggests you for making music from my computer to music on my house-system? I can do the on-line radio stations, but how might I transfer those to my whole-house system? I have a Denon 2807 and it is in a separate room?

Julianna</BLOCKQUOTE>

basite
05-15-2007, 08:51 AM
there are several ways of connecting your pc to your receiver.

you can go wireless, using a slim devices squeezebox (or a transporter, but that'll be quite expensive) more info about that can be found here:
www.slimdevices.com

this way, you can go through your music library without having to come out of your chair.

then, cables: the digital cable, buy a digital cable, this being a normal digital cable, or an optical one (most likely your pc only has a digital out, not an optical, 'normal' digital cable is supposed to be better anyways) and run it to your receiver, there you connect it to a digital in.

or the cheapest way of connecting it (the digital cable isn't that much more expensive, but will deliver more quality) is to just buy an Y-cable, and running it from the pc's analog out to the receiver's analog in.

however the cable options will (or can) be cheaper, you cannot switch tracks without coming out of your chair, and going to your pc. The Squeezebox is the only thing that can do that.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Julianna
05-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Greets basite,

I appreciate your information. Have you personally tried the Squeezebox? I understand it is now owned by Logitech?

Julianna

bubbagump
05-18-2007, 05:34 PM
Great product. As you mentioned, Logitech recently bought them. Hopefully future products will have the same innovation, user support and quality. Sound quality is great and the configuration options are almost endless. You can connnect via wireless or ethernet. I don't have wifi at my house but use powerline networking instead. It's great option and allows for high bandwidth streaming - even hd video supposedly but I haven't personally confirmed. But I digress. The Squeezebox can be used with or without a computer running if you only want to listen to streaming audio. While not exactly cheap, it's probably the most versatile product in this catagory.

Julianna
05-19-2007, 04:17 AM
Greets bubbagump,

This indeed seems to be a quite nice product. It is available on-line at €299 so it is not inexpensive, but I shall investigate it further.

Julianna

basite
05-19-2007, 10:25 AM
lots of people here say it's a really good product (I don't have it, but then again, I'm a stereohead, and my pc isn't that far away, but it's not used anymore for music playback :) )

Good luck,
Bert.

recoveryone
05-21-2007, 08:30 AM
I do have one and it has allowed me to set back and re-discover music I once listen to. The ability to listen to internet radio is great the amount of station are endless. I took an old computer and made it my server and currently have over 800 songs stored on it and the list growing weekly. I have music ranging from 60's motown to todays Neo-soul, Jazz and gospel. The ability to create playlist or random playback is nice and lets you listen to what ever mood your in. I'm thinking of getting another one for the bedroom. You can add as many as you want and use the same computer as the server.