amplifier vs preamplifier Im confused [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : amplifier vs preamplifier Im confused

r7915
05-15-2007, 04:24 AM
Right!! what is the difference between a amplifier vs pre-amplifier ? like why do u need a pre amp for vynil?? why wont the power amp boost the signal, afterall its an amplifier right,
help???
Cheers
R

bfalls
05-15-2007, 04:47 AM
I believe you're talking about two different types of preamps a phono preamp used for turntables and a component preamp. The purpose for a component preamp is to provide connections for multiple sources, provide volume control since many amps don't have them, connections for signal processors and to provide tone controls.
I believe you're talking about a phono preamp. You can use only a turntable connected to an amp, but many phono cartridges don't have enough output and requires an additional boost from a phono preamp to bring the signal to line level. Many component preamps have a phono preamp built into them.
An amplifier usually only amplifies the signal from the source and provides output protection for your speakers. Some provide volume control.

mlsstl
05-15-2007, 05:11 AM
A power amp is designed to take a voltage source in the range of (usually) one to two volts (also known as "live level) and amplify it to the level needed to power speakers. Most stand-alone power amps do not have (or it isn't user friendly) a volume control nor do they typically have switchable inputs for a variety of music sources.

A preamp does a couple of things. First it allows you to easily select from multiple music sources - tuner, phono, CD, tape, etc. Second, it will boost the signal to the level needed by the power amp. A typical turntable needs such a boost. Third, it'll provide you a convenient way to adjust volume.

If the power and pre amp are combined into a single unit, this is called an "integrated" amp. Also, If your music source provides a standard "line level" output voltage and also contains a volume control, you can bypass the preamp. In my system I go directly from a Squeezebox/DAC to the power amp. Having no preamp works fine for me since I have no other regular music source.

r7915
05-16-2007, 02:03 AM
aahh!! i see, thanks for the info guys, thats cleared a few thing up. cheers again

orangemuse
05-25-2007, 12:03 AM
I hope bfalls' reply is enough to answer your question. That post is quite comprehensive. I couldn't think of anything else to add.

Blue Meanie
05-25-2007, 03:41 AM
I hope bfalls' reply is enough to answer your question. That post is quite comprehensive. I couldn't think of anything else to add.

Then why even bother replying?:confused5:

Resident Loser
05-25-2007, 09:43 AM
...to providing boost to your moving-magnet type cartridge's output, a phono pre-amp also provides RIAA equalization to the signal, boosting the lows and attenuating the highs...Without EQ it will sound like cr@p...

For a moving-coil cart, an additional head amp is required to boost the MCs even lower output to the required level in order to input it to a phono-pre which further amplifies/EQs to line level...two stages of boost required...You can go head-amp to phono-pre to pre-amp/control center or simply look for a combined unit that is switchable for either MC or MM-type carts and plug it right into a line-level input...

jimHJJ(...now aren't you sorry you asked...)

PeruvianSkies
05-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Then why even bother replying?:confused5:

I think it's funny when a persons question is answered and they have commented on how they got the info that they requested that people still respond.

GMichael
05-26-2007, 04:48 AM
Pot, meet Kettle.
Kettle, pot.

Blue Meanie
05-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Pot, meet Kettle.
Kettle, pot.

To whom are you referring?

Jeff

Osamede
05-26-2007, 02:56 PM
If your music source provides a standard "line level" output voltage and also contains a volume control, you can bypass the preamp. In my system I go directly from a Squeezebox/DAC to the power amp. Having no preamp works fine for me since I have no other regular music source.
I have read though, that for example connecting a CD player direclty to a power amp is dangerous because it can produce spikes that could damage, not the amp, but your speakers.

What do you make of this?