Help!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

Phukit
05-14-2007, 01:28 PM
I have a Kenwood VR 2080 A/V receiver that doesn't produce any sound out the speakers. All the fuses are good. I've read that this is a very common problem with these units and was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and what has gone bad. It's been sitting in my closet for the past 3-4 years and I figured maybe it's time to check it out. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

bfalls
05-15-2007, 05:10 AM
You didn't say if something had happened resulting in no sound, such as "I had my system cranked up past 60 on the volume control and it just shutdown." Barring any such incident, I would first check to make certain your tape monitor isn't on. If the receiver has speaker switching, make sure the speakers are selected to be on. These are two common mistakes you can check before taking it to the repair shop.
Since both speakers (stereo mode) or all speakers (5.1 mode) outputs are dead, you're looking at a more general system failure common to all outputs, such as power supply failure, or output module failure. Many solid-state receivers use IC outputs with multiple channels on the same chip, so if the chip fails all channels fail. Many receivers have speaker relays on a delay, so you don't get a "thump" on power-up. This relay could also be bad. Just a few suggestions to look into.

Phukit
05-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the info, and oddly enough, I didn't have the system cranked up like one might expect for this type of problem to occurr. I just went to turn it on one day and had no output but you got me thinking and there is something that I had not even factored into the equation, my girlfriend. Her theory is "the sooner something breaks or stops working , the sooner she gets to go shopping for a new replacement." Thanks again for your help.