The Godfather: Favorite Scene... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Godfather: Favorite Scene...

PeruvianSkies
05-13-2007, 12:10 PM
I think that most people in the world enjoy the Godfather series, or at least the first two films. However, one thing that is seldom discussed are peoples favorite scenes from any of the three movies. So...pick your favorite scene and tell us why you like that scene....

Here's mine:

The Hospital Scene in THE GODFATHER is sheer brilliance. This is an odd selection I know because most people pick more climatic scenes or cooler scenes, but here is what I love and enjoy about this particular scene.

There is something spectacular that happens during this moment of the film. This scene seems insignificant, which is exactly why it's so powerful. This is the point in the film where Michael must first act as the new leader of the family. His father is perhaps going to die, people are coming to kill him, and Michael must be quick on his feet. Yet, at the same time he must not only act as the head of an organized crime family, but he must also protect his dad. There are emotional ties happening here as well. Michael remains calm and uses the guy from the bakery as his 'partner' for the moment. His quick thinking and stategy truly show him to be a calm, cool, and collect individual even under heat. We also see The Godfather look up at Michael and smile and we understand his love for his son. Sometimes it's hard to imagine that corrupt gangsters could still have feelings, but this scene manages to capture both and do that incredibly well. Coppola masterfully constructs this unusual scene, which pivots as a crucial turning point in the film. While there are other crucial scenes to this saga it is still my favorite because it's unique and powerful.

Smokey
05-13-2007, 07:29 PM
There are alot of scenes in Godfather that are my favorite, but I really like the scenes with Fredo (John Cazale). IMO he very much in par with Pacino and Deniro in being a fine actor.

My favorite scene is in GFII where Micheal confront Fredo about the attempted assassination on his life. He tell Fredo that he always have taken care of him and Fredo said:

"You take care of me? I am your older brother and you take care of me!"

His body language in that scene shows pain of being the black sheep of family. Very moving.

PeruvianSkies
05-13-2007, 08:23 PM
There are alot of scenes in Godfather that are my favorite, but I really like the scenes with Fredo (John Cazale). IMO he very much in par with Pacino and Deniro in being a fine actor.

My favorite scene is in GFII where Micheal confront Fredo about the attempted assassination on his life. He tell Fredo that he always have taken care of him and Fredo said:

"You take care of me? I am your older brother and you take care of me!"

His body language in that scene shows pain of being the black sheep of family. Very moving.

Agreed. There are many many scenes, but pivotal scenes are always my favorite and THE GODFATHER and THE GODFATHER II truly have some incredible moments in them. Often times these scenes are overlooked, but the entire saga is contructed and executed so well that it's amazing. The scenes with Cazale are often ones that seem unimportant at first, but you realize the depth that these scenes create to the family dynamic.

PeruvianSkies
05-13-2007, 08:42 PM
The scenes in THE GODFATHER w/ Cazale really pay off for the killing of him in THE GODFATHER II, what a dramatic moment.

kexodusc
05-14-2007, 05:45 AM
My favorite 3 movies ever...
I apologize, but I have to type a bit to explain why I chose which scene I did.
I really believe that Godfather 3 is one of the most misunderstood films ever made. While not as great as 1 & 2, this film did the right thing in concluding a story rather than catering to the masses desire for another "mob" film and taking the easy way out.

Coppola made it clear he felt the story of the Corleone family was told in 1 & 2, and originally didn't even want to make a 3rd film. It wasn't until he was broke, and Paramount had his back against the wall, prepared to make that 3rd generic mob movie without him - reportedly based on Vincent Mancini and drug cartels (the War on Drugs was big news of the day back then)- that Coppola came on board.

He unfairly got accused of poor casting - Sofia Coppola was a last minute fill in for Wynona Ryder's 11th hour drop out, and Duvall sold out and demanded as much money as Pacino.

Godfather 3 was about the end of Michael Corleone, about reflection, about his desire to heal and love his family, to save his soul, and to turn the Corleone family legit.

It's the final scene of this movie, where a wealthy, powerful Michael Corleone dies alone , his family dead or estranged, ruined, his hopes for redemption and salvation shattered. He lost everything that mattered despite all he accomplished, and in the end he realized all too late. I think it really was a twisted tragedy, where a man whose done evil things in his life tried became worried for his eternal soul as he aged, made great efforts to make amends, only to come to the conclusion that it was his destiny to be damned.

Unlike his father, Vito, who died similarly in a chair watching his grandson, with his family around him, Michael's fate was far more tragic, perhaps just, but tragic.

People watch Godfather III and want to see more of I & II. This film has been criticized for not being a stand alone story in itself, but simply a conclusion of MIchael and the Corleone family. This was said to be the biggest reason why it didn't win picture of the year when it was nominated - but if anything, this film changed Hollywood more than the other. It showed that sequels could be made in serial, with watching 1 & 2 being a pre-requisite. No need to waste time on old character introduction etc the third time around. Godfather III didn't insult the viewer's intelligence.

If that scene doesn't send chills down your spine, you'd better check for a pulse!

GMichael
05-14-2007, 12:38 PM
This may be the generic answer, but, I liked the part where the old man was running around in the garden with his grand child. And then he kicked the bucket.

PeruvianSkies
05-14-2007, 06:51 PM
This may be the generic answer, but, I liked the part where the old man was running around in the garden with his grand child. And then he kicked the bucket.

That's a pretty intense scene actually. It's incredibly well-done too, because in the same film we see Don Corleone almost get killed and he survives many gunshot wounds, then when we are least suspecting it...wham he collapses and dies. It's a superb location as well because we are only suspecting that maybe a hitman might come out of nowhere and kill him, the last thing we expect is a collapse. It's also a tragic scene as well as the little boy still thinks that he is playing around with him or playing dead, but he ain't playing dead...he IS dead. It's really amazing how many terrific emotional moments are in this film, and also in GODFATHER II. Coppola got his A game going to the max with these films and the payoff are two films that remain two of the greatest cinematic achievements pressed onto celluloid.

PeruvianSkies
05-14-2007, 07:04 PM
My favorite 3 movies ever...
I apologize, but I have to type a bit to explain why I chose which scene I did.
I really believe that Godfather 3 is one of the most misunderstood films ever made. While not as great as 1 & 2, this film did the right thing in concluding a story rather than catering to the masses desire for another "mob" film and taking the easy way out.

Coppola made it clear he felt the story of the Corleone family was told in 1 & 2, and originally didn't even want to make a 3rd film. It wasn't until he was broke, and Paramount had his back against the wall, prepared to make that 3rd generic mob movie without him - reportedly based on Vincent Mancini and drug cartels (the War on Drugs was big news of the day back then)- that Coppola came on board.

He unfairly got accused of poor casting - Sofia Coppola was a last minute fill in for Wynona Ryder's 11th hour drop out, and Duvall sold out and demanded as much money as Pacino.

Godfather 3 was about the end of Michael Corleone, about reflection, about his desire to heal and love his family, to save his soul, and to turn the Corleone family legit.

It's the final scene of this movie, where a wealthy, powerful Michael Corleone dies alone , his family dead or estranged, ruined, his hopes for redemption and salvation shattered. He lost everything that mattered despite all he accomplished, and in the end he realized all too late. I think it really was a twisted tragedy, where a man whose done evil things in his life tried became worried for his eternal soul as he aged, made great efforts to make amends, only to come to the conclusion that it was his destiny to be damned.

Unlike his father, Vito, who died similarly in a chair watching his grandson, with his family around him, Michael's fate was far more tragic, perhaps just, but tragic.

People watch Godfather III and want to see more of I & II. This film has been criticized for not being a stand alone story in itself, but simply a conclusion of MIchael and the Corleone family. This was said to be the biggest reason why it didn't win picture of the year when it was nominated - but if anything, this film changed Hollywood more than the other. It showed that sequels could be made in serial, with watching 1 & 2 being a pre-requisite. No need to waste time on old character introduction etc the third time around. Godfather III didn't insult the viewer's intelligence.

If that scene doesn't send chills down your spine, you'd better check for a pulse!

Let's face it...if THE GODFATHER III had been released in 1976 instead of 1990, it would have been just as successful and well-received as the first two films. However, it was about 14 years too late and 1990 was just an odd year altogether. That year also saw a good bit of other gangster-related films such as GOODFELLAS, MILLER CROSSING, THE KRAYS, STATE OF GRACE, and THE GRIFTERS. Talk about a great year for the Mob.

Anyway, I think it's also fair to say that the first two films are the "rise" and the third film is the "fall". No one likes to watch the fall, especially if it's not attached directly to the rise (see SCARFACE, which has both halves). There are many other factors that hurt THE GODFATHER III as well, mostly the ones that Kex mentioned such as cast. To me, it's an essential part of the whole package and I think it's important to see the entire saga, even the weaker tail end. Coppola at this point was also out-of-his prime in my opinion and hadn't really made a good film in quite some time. He was desperate and was not really 'into' making this film that much. The result shows.

Not only that, but the look of the film, despite the hard efforts to make it look like the other two, doesn't quite work either. The first two films were shot with real 1970's stock Technicolor printing and the results are that really gritty, sepia-like tone that has become so infamous with the films. The genius behind these films was the camerawork by Gordon Willis who shot all three films, but even he couldn't manage to make the third installment look the same. It's close, but not quite there.