upgrade speaker [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : upgrade speaker

jlamo
05-13-2007, 08:56 AM
I am using B&W 603 S3 right now. I am planning to upgrade my speaker. Anybody ever compare or upgrade from B&W 603 to B&W 703 and B&W 804S; what is the different? Is it significant upgrade?

jrhymeammo
05-13-2007, 09:30 AM
No matter what members say on this site, B&W 800s produce some of the finest sound. But you can always do better, as usual.

Which do you like better? 700 or 800? I've always thought 700s were the worst speakers ever made. They are
the most fatiguing speakers I've ever heard in Hi'erFi shops.

I used to own a pair of Signature 805 and drive them with 75 watt Rotel and my current 45watts tube integrated..
I loved them but I didnt have enough power. to drive them to my preference. Your Rotel may just be enough for a pair of 804S, but I would definetly desire more power. The impedence swing on 800s wasnt too friend with my gears, but I still loved them.
Based on your equipment list, I assume you are in to M/C and HT? Then I would not upgrade front 2 speakers unless you are planning to match the center speaker as well. I think you already know the importance of matching tones.
If you will be auditioning before you make your purchase, then you should be in luck. Most of B&W dealers also carry Rotels so you can find out if 120watts will be enough for the 703 or 804.

Have fun,

bobsticks
05-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Check out the Dynaudio Contour series. They have a good synergy with Rotel products.

As to the original question, yes it is an upgrade--significant in relation to $$ spent will be up to your ears.

basite
05-13-2007, 11:52 AM
don't forget dali too...
or monitor audio, or totem, check them all out if you can, it will be a significant upgrade, yes...

And btw, I've heard the new diamond reference series from B&W today (you know, those of which there will only be 250 pairs made) there are only 4 pairs made for belgium, one of them for the retailer where I heared them, they were driven by brand new Accuphase stuff, this including their new A-45 poweramp. I was astounded that such a beautiful sound could come out such a small speaker, not to mention it was a 2 way.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.