Cars subs integrated in Home? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cars subs integrated in Home?

TDI
05-11-2007, 08:25 AM
I have had a pair of Elemental Design K series 12s for the passed 2-3 years. They are dual 4 ohms. I would like to integrate them for a home theater. They have great sound quality and spl (143.6 dbs with an 800a).

I will be building my home theater in the near future and I am wondering if it would be worth it/possible??? I am curious about the voltage difference...from 12v to 120v? I plan on integrating each sub into its own tower. I have no definite plans as of yet. I still need to do a bit of researching.

Thanks in advance

-Brian

N. Abstentia
05-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Is it possible? Yes. Is it ideal? Hardly. You could take the dual voice coils and wire them in series so you have 8 ohm subs and then of course you'd need to build proper enclosures for them.

However, these drivers are designed to work in a car where the cabin is very very small (and this is how you get 143 db's...they would melt down trying to do that in a big room). They are high excursion drivers which are not very accurate. Great for making them go 'booom' but poor for musicality and accuracy. Car drivers rely heavily on the car itself to amplify the sound, where home drivers do not.

Personally I'd get rid of them and just get a nice sub designed for the house. Time to step up from the kiddie stuff :)

TDI
05-12-2007, 06:54 AM
That is what I figured. I just had my hopes....and you shot them down. :sad:

Since not many manufactures sell individual speakers for home audio, what brands do you recommend?
Any great websites for home building?
I have only checked out Parts Express.

Thanks

-Brian