Which Sharp Aquos? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which Sharp Aquos?

nightflier
05-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Sharp seems to have a gazillion TVs available, and I'd like to buy one, but I'm practically flying blind here. I would like 1080p (for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD playback) and an HDTV tuner at the very least. I also would prefer one without a large bezel as I'll be hanging it on the wall next to external speakers. Price range is around $2K, although that's not a deal-breaker. But that's about all I know to look for and just about every Aquos model seems to fit my needs. Specifically:

- I've noticed that TVs in the store seem to skip frames during action sequences; the motion looks choppy. Is that a function of the 4-8 ms spec that they advertise, the 120 Hz Frame Rate Conversion, or is it because the stores don't use correct cables/equipment to showcase the models?

- Because of the room size, I'll be sitting pretty close (8-ish feet?), so I don't need a super-sized TV. One the other hand, I do want to take full advantage of the 1080p capabilities. What size would be appropriate.

- Viewing Angle is important because it will be a wide room with seating for 4 people across the front, at a minimum.

- Should I be wowed by a "15,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio" or is that just techno-jargon hype?

Bottom line is that I want a TV that has the best possible picture. All the other stuff (speakers, 25 different inputs, bezel color, remote) is all inconsequential.

Thanks.

Jack in Wilmington
05-09-2007, 04:29 PM
I've been checking out the Sharp's for my next purchase. I really like the LC-42D62U. My dealer has it on the wall right next to the Pioneer Elite so I can really give it a good comparision. Granted it's not quite up to the Elite's class, but it's not that far behind. It looks a lot better than the Sony Bravia that is on the other side of it. I would try another Sharp dealer and see if you have the same problems. Good luck

nightflier
05-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Jack,

Yes that one is selling online for around $1600 (w/ tax & ship.). The specs are a little lower than the other models, but right now, i don't really know if these specs matter for my situation.

Jack in Wilmington
05-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Jack,

Yes that one is selling online for around $1600 (w/ tax & ship.). The specs are a little lower than the other models, but right now, i don't really know if these specs matter for my situation.

That's a very good price. My dealer quoted me aound $1900. He usually is about $200 cheaper than the big box stores. There was also an Hitachi plasma that I had my eye on. I'm still back and forth on the whole LCD vs Plasma thing.

Audio_Scape
05-13-2007, 06:40 AM
The Sharp LC-42D92U and the Sony 46XBR4 (when it comes out) are the two I'm considering.

pixelthis
05-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Sharp used to be a bottom feeder selling cheap junk, they have rehabed their name well.
But when you can get a 46in sony 1080p for 2300 at sams why you would go with such an overpriced brand is beyond me.
Yeah, sony is a little overpriced too but they deliver.
Sharp, samsung, a few others are trying to hold the tide of collapsing HDTV
prices (paticulary lcd) but peeps look at their stuff, shrug, and go with something cheaper
that looks as good.
You can get a 37in hdtv at office depot after the rebate, for 600$ and walmart has a very nice DLP
fifty incher with a stand for 1090$!!!
And a friend just bought a vizio 47incher for 1700 at sams, the specs are good, there are plenty of inputs, and they seem reliable.
My 19in widescreen samsung comp monitor, on the other hand, has a "bright pixel".
You can only see it on a completely dark screen but it shouldnt be there, so much for buying a "name"

nightflier
05-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks for all the input, but the reason I'm settling on Sharp is because they consistently have the best reviews and the specs are usually near the top. But what I really want to know is what specs matter on a 46" screen (which is probably what I'm going to buy). Specifically, how do I avoid the choppy video during action scenes (most of what I watch is action).

Audio_Scape, I didn't consider Sony because I tend not to like the company's corporate policies, but I'll take a look at the 46XBR4. One thing that intrigues me about Sony is that they are most likely to support 24fps and multiples thereof, which I understand is Blu-Ray's native video speed. Something tells me that's a good thing.

Pixelthis, I'm not sure those bargain-basement TVs will do what I want. I'm definitely going to be moving up to Blu-Ray or HD-DVD in the near future, and I want a TV that will do 1080p cleanly.

I'm not completely sold on Sharp, but so far there are few others who make such a top notch product. I'm hearing good things about Westinghouse (which I understand is basically a mosh-up of former Sharp/Samsung/Toshiba folks), especially their upcoming 46-incher at around $1700. I'll probably still go with Sharp, but at least that should bring prices down a bit, right?

And why is Pioneer not dropping their prices to normal levels? Do they even have 1080p displays that the middle class can afford?

Edtyct, are you out there?
- What accounts for the choppy video in most store displays?
- Does 4ms really matter compared to 8/10/12ms?
- What is the relevance of the new 120Hz displays?

N. Abstentia
05-15-2007, 07:27 AM
I'm seriously eyeing the new Toshiba Regza LCD's. Those babies look sweet!

nightflier
05-15-2007, 11:36 AM
N.Abstentia,

Are you talking about the Toshiba 47LZ196? Online reviews say it's 1080i/1080p display is a bit on the soft side.

N. Abstentia
05-15-2007, 02:08 PM
I was actually looking at the 32" and 26" so I didn't read anything about the 47", but I couldn't find a single negative comment about the 32 or 26.

And an update...I ordered the 32" today! It's this one:
http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=86538

Audio_Scape
05-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Audio_Scape, I didn't consider Sony because I tend not to like the company's corporate policies, but I'll take a look at the 46XBR4. One thing that intrigues me about Sony is that they are most likely to support 24fps and multiples thereof, which I understand is Blu-Ray's native video speed. Something tells me that's a good thing.

Edtyct, are you out there?
- What accounts for the choppy video in most store displays?
- Does 4ms really matter compared to 8/10/12ms?
- What is the relevance of the new 120Hz displays?

NF,

I just realized it made a mistake. The Sharp Aquos LC-46D92U is the one I was talking about. Not the 40" incher.

Here's a picture.

http://www.hdtvblog.org/images/d92-series_58.jpg

Also, yes 4ms r/t DOES matter. And so does 120Hz refresh rate. Even though there are reports of baning issues with the Sharp (and other LCDs makers) those that have tried the 92 serise do say that the 4ms and 120Hz RR does help prevent fast motion blur compared to the older models.

The 120Hz also helps with number divisible by the frames per second. So, 24/30/60 all divide evenly into 120.

As for the Sony. The 46XBR4 is not out yet. I think the smaller 26XBR4 is out. But the larger ones are not. And I'm assuming that they will have a 40,46,52 in the XBR4 series since the XBR3 wasn't really that much different that the XBR2; minus a few cosmetic differences.

nightflier
05-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Audio_Scape,

Yes, that banding issue seems to crop up in every review. Apparently it affects some more than others (and for some reason the reviewers ones the least). But what I'm also reading quite a bit is that Sharp service is dismal. That is definitely going to be a factor to consider.

If only that Westinghouse 47 incher had a built-in ATSC tuner....

brulaha
05-16-2007, 03:34 PM
I bought a 32d40u last fall. I hated it. The picture was good, but fast motion was poor and greens were represented poorly. Additionally, changing the channel (i was not using a cable box) was painstakingly slow. I ended up buying a panny 37" plasma instead. It resolved all of my problems and I couldn't be happier with my decision to return the sharp.

nightflier
05-17-2007, 11:24 AM
I bought a 32d40u last fall. I hated it. The picture was good, but fast motion was poor and greens were represented poorly. Additionally, changing the channel (i was not using a cable box) was painstakingly slow. I ended up buying a panny 37" plasma instead. It resolved all of my problems and I couldn't be happier with my decision to return the sharp.

Does anyone know if these are problems with the Sharp Aquos LC-46D82U? I'm really leaning to that one, right now, but not if what brulaha says is true. I didn't see this in the showroom, but does anyone out there have a Sharp Aquos that's a real big disappointment?

brulaha
05-17-2007, 08:57 PM
The 32d40u had a 6 ms r/t although I couldn't find any info about refresh times. There was a very good review on CNET for the 37d40u that is still available to read (and they stated all other d40u sets should test similarly, which makes sense). They did comment on the color problem, but that wasn't a deal killer for me as I wasn't using this for anything but casual viewing.

I couldn't see the defects on the showroom floor either, even when I went back and looked for them. But watching long term I just knew I didn't like it. It wasn't always fast motion. There was just sometimes a blur that had myself asking whether there's something wrong with the set or not. And DVD's displayed the same tendencies as regular TV. It should be noted I never used a high def signal.

I'm sure it's something that not everyone will notice, but I certainly did, and for $1k I wasn't willing to be unhappy. I thought about buying another LCD to try out, as I use this for my bedroom TV and was worried about falling asleep with it on and the whole picture burn in thing. However I felt I needed to try the plasma. I knew the after the first night of watching I made the right choice for me. I wasn't happy about spending another $400, but the extra 5" didn't hurt (went from a 32" to a 37").

Hope this helps. I would say if your really set on Aquos, buy it and try it out. Most stores have a 30 day return policy. I waited about 3 weeks before making the decision to return it. On the other hand, my dad still has his Aquos and loves it.

pixelthis
05-19-2007, 10:42 PM
I'm not recomending the cheaper sets, just saying that they are putting pressure on more higher quality brands.
As for the "blur" issue, GOD, I have never seen such hand wringing over such a trivial issue.
I have had my set for months and have MAYBE seen a little blur every once in awhile.
At 8ms response time the human eye just isnt fast enough to pick up anything but major offences.
I have watched football, action movies like serenity, deja vu, etc and it just isnt there.
And 120mhz on paper will be better than 60 but I would rather have some lesser task done better than a major one done poorly.
I am going to post a review on my vizio shortly, my set so far has been nothing but
fantastic, even pulling me away from my beloved audio addiction.
AND the rgb input has given me a bonus, a 37in computer monitor.
I just wish I could sell it for 600 bucks and get a 42incher:5:

nightflier
05-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Well, I'm still not convinced. I've been to several showrooms now and although they didn't have the 82U or 92U models on display, the 42U certainly has this motion blur problem. It's most noticeable on nature shows and things like flowing water or rustling leaves. It's almost as if after a split second pause between still & motion, the only thing that does not blur is the item that the subject is focusing on. Like this one scene I remember when someone was riding a bike. The dude on the bike was sharp, but everything around him was blurry and this is really irritating to me. This certainly isn't a problem on CRT or DLP displays.

So my question is still unanswered: is this because of the source and cables or is this because of the TV itself. Of course none of the sales reps had an answer for me.

pixelthis
05-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Well, I'm still not convinced. I've been to several showrooms now and although they didn't have the 82U or 92U models on display, the 42U certainly has this motion blur problem. It's most noticeable on nature shows and things like flowing water or rustling leaves. It's almost as if after a split second pause between still & motion, the only thing that does not blur is the item that the subject is focusing on. Like this one scene I remember when someone was riding a bike. The dude on the bike was sharp, but everything around him was blurry and this is really irritating to me. This certainly isn't a problem on CRT or DLP displays.

So my question is still unanswered: is this because of the source and cables or is this because of the TV itself. Of course none of the sales reps had an answer for me.
Your joking right? When a camera pans, keeping a subject in view the subject will be clear AND the background fuzzy, this is on any kind of display, you just havent noticed
until you have heard about this so called "blur" problem

nightflier
05-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Your joking right? When a camera pans, keeping a subject in view the subject will be clear AND the background fuzzy, this is on any kind of display, you just havent noticed until you have heard about this so called "blur" problem

I meant to say that the blurred motion in the background is choppy and painful to watch. This is not at all the case with CRT (I am using the same DVD to compare).

Also, I've been tossing around the Toshiba sets. Aside from an extra inch, what sets these models apart: 47LX196, 47LZ196, 47HL167, and the 46LX177? Which one is the latest model to come out?

evil__betty
05-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Nightflier, hopefully I can give you a hand with this. I actually just stepped down from my job as Sales Manager at an independent A/V store where we carried all brands in question. Sharp has definitely makes a A+ quality panel and I'm sure that you'd be quite happy with any of their models. Based on my experience, it is very hard to set up an entire store (or section of one) so that all TVs are running the same picture with little or no interference. Often one box will run up to 50 TV's all through component video cables, and even though those splitters are powered, there is a lot of difference between that set up and plugging the box directly to the TV. I have spent many, many hours, swearing, and sweating trying to find out why 4 out of 50 TVs look terrible - and it all has to do with wiring. That being said, you'd be wise to "future proof" yourself and pick up the better model line with the better specs (you sound like the kind of guy that is going to be critically watching everything rather than hooking the set up with coaxial analog cable). After purchasing any TV you will want to do a proper set up and calibration of colours - this will make all the difference in the world! None of the TV that you will see on display in stores will have been set up properly. They are all on "torch mode" so that they catch your eye as your walking by in the brightly lit showroom. Its also because if someone spend 30 mins calibrating every TV in the store, it will only take one customer to grab the remote and screw everything up.

Bottom line;
-buy brand name, stay away from Vizio, Prima, Westinghouse - I've worked with them all and their customer service at a corporate level is horrible! Sharp and Samsung take the cake with their LCDs. Toshiba is hit and miss, Sony is a little expensive for what you get, but they make a good product.
- 120HZ does make a deference with motion from any source, not just HD or Blu Ray
-buy form a place that has a return policy - most sales guys will not have a problem if you return one TV and buy another that you will be happier with because it is ultimately your own eyes that will let you know which one you like the best!
- Contrast also makes a big difference

Happy hunting!

nightflier
05-26-2007, 12:57 AM
Evil,

Thanks for the helpful info. You're the first person to confirm what the professional reviewers said about the 120Hz. rating. Any advice on motion-blur which I believe has to do with the 4ms rating, and banding which is apparently quite common with the Sharps (although I haven't seen this in the showrooms)?

Also, does anyone have any comments on the Olevia 747i? That seems to be a good contender as well.

evil__betty
05-26-2007, 02:50 PM
I think that a lot of the motion blur that you talk about is simply due to the compression of the signal of the satellite or cable signal. One of the reasons why most of the demo material on showroom floors is fly by shots of landscapes, or seascapes and very little action is because the signal will break up with motion due to compression - and not necessarily due to the refresh rate of the TVs that are displaying the signal. A good friend and (now ex) coworker has a beautiful projector set up with a BenQ W10000 and a very expensive 120" screen (sorry, don't know specs, but he paid about $2500 for just the screen) that looks absolutely unbelievable on HD, but when watching the NBA playoffs (in HD, of course) and they zoom in on the player running down the floor, there is a LOT of signal breakup. When they zoom back out for the full court shot, everything is back to being beautiful again. Hopefully once Bell Expressvu (in Canada) changes all their HD equipment to MPEG4, this will become less noticeable. To be honest, any refresh rate under 8ms is more of a pissing contest and bragging rights rather than a extremely noticeable difference. Hope this helps.