Cambridge Audio 540A speaker connection frustration [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cambridge Audio 540A speaker connection frustration

oblongmouth
05-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Hi first time poster, so apologies if i've posted in the wrong section.

I've just bought my first piece of 'serious' audio equipment, a discontinued Cambridge Audio Azur 540A (version 1) Integrated Amplifier.

I connected it up just last night to a pair of cheap but powerful floor standing Eltax speakers & was able to get connected & listening to my music immediately.

On attempting to power on the unit this evening I get a protection light flashing for approx 4 seconds (7 flashes) & the unit returns to standby mode.

In the manual it says 'CAP5 [their protection system] has detected the resistance on the loudspeaker terminals is too low. Check to see if there is a short circuit between the loudspeaker terminals.'

Now, being new to all this i'm not sure what to check - specifically the resistance on the terminals.

The speakers were definitely working ok last night & after doing a little 'wiggling' of the speaker wires I got a little sound at first this evening, but having checked the connections multiple times both at the speaker & amplifier ends I've been unable to get the amp out of standby mode.

If by any small chance someone has experience of this amp or other cambridge audio amps & can assist I would be most grateful.

Feanor
05-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Hi first time poster, so apologies if i've posted in the wrong section.

I've just bought my first piece of 'serious' audio equipment, a discontinued Cambridge Audio Azur 540A (version 1) Integrated Amplifier.
On attempting to power on the unit this evening I get a protection light flashing for approx 4 seconds (7 flashes) & the unit returns to standby mode.

In the manual it says 'CAP5 [their protection system] has detected the resistance on the loudspeaker terminals is too low. Check to see if there is a short circuit between the loudspeaker terminals.'
The speakers were definitely working ok last night & after doing a little 'wiggling' of the speaker wires I got a little sound at first this evening, but having checked the connections multiple times both at the speaker & amplifier ends I've been unable to get the amp out of standby mode.

The ostensible cause would be that the positive and negative speaker wires are touching each other either at the speaker or at the amplifier, for one or both speakers. However you say your have checked the connections carefully so this doesn't seem to be the problem. Don't forget to check the wires themselvers for any sign that there is a short along the length of the wire.

Eliminating the wires and the connections, the next step is to determine whether the actual problem is with the amp or the speakers. Can you try your old amp with the speakers? If you get sound as usual, then there is likely a problem with the Cambridge; it might be a blown fuse cause by an earlier short or something more serious. Or it's possible that the Cambridge just need to be "reset" before it gets back to normal; unplug it it for 20 minutes or so, then plug it back in and try again.

On the other hand, if you don'd get sound with the old amp, then likely the problem is with the spearks; they might have developed an internal short.

Conversely, if you have other speakers besides the ones you were using, then you could try them with the Cambridge. If you get sound ... etc.

oblongmouth
05-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Hi & thanks for your prompt response.

Further to your points, I have checked the speakers and speaker wire with an old amp & they exhibit no problems

I have also checked the Cambridge with another pair of speakers to no avail

I have turned off the Cambridge for a fair amount of time (in excess of an hour), again, to no avail.

I have attempted to contact both Cambridge and my supplier (Richer Sounds), so will see if they have any further possible solutions.

I have a feeling that it must be connection related, but cannot see where the problem lies. Would purchasing terminal plugs (banana?) help the issue at all?

Thanks again for your assistance

Feanor
05-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Hi & thanks for your prompt response.

Further to your points, I have checked the speakers and speaker wire with an old amp & they exhibit no problems

I have also checked the Cambridge with another pair of speakers to no avail

I have turned off the Cambridge for a fair amount of time (in excess of an hour), again, to no avail.

I have attempted to contact both Cambridge and my supplier (Richer Sounds), so will see if they have any further possible solutions.

I have a feeling that it must be connection related, but cannot see where the problem lies. Would purchasing terminal plugs (banana?) help the issue at all?

Thanks again for your assistance

By the sound of it there is a problem with the Cambridge and likely you will need to have it serviced. If you speakers continue to work with a different amp and nothing appear to be wrong with the connection, that only reinforces the conclusion that there is something wrong with amp and it probably isn't now a connection problem, (though it might have been when the problem first happened).

Banana plugs are great especially if you occassionally need to disconnect the speaker for some reason. But inherently there is nothing wrong with a bare wire connection as long as the wire ends are clean and the connections are tight & secure. Changing to bananas now isn't going to help the amp, though.