Help a noob :[ [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help a noob :[

chris2o2
05-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Hey....

I hope you guys can help me with this !

I've recently become the owner of a Linn Genki CD player and Linn LK85 Amp .

They came with two power cords and two packs of brand new Linn cables - analogue interconnect 1.2m long - one packet has 2 connections while the other has 4 . There is also a small bag of 4 plastic plugs (bfa i think) .I have the manuals for each item as well as well as a remote for the CD player .

Now i am no audio man but i was hoping to get the system up and going but after several failed attempts i'm considering selling the lot.....

Can you tell me from the sounds of do i have all the essential equipment to make the system work ? and if possibly a rough price for the lot if i was to sell it ? Its in excellent condition !!

Thansk in advance . :)

basite
05-08-2007, 10:23 AM
isn't the lk85 a poweramp?
if so, you need a preamp to control the volume & choose the input...

that's some very good stuff you already got there :)
what speakers are you using?

if they are in a good condition, you could reasonably much money for them, but then you'll lose good equipment...

how big would your budget be for a preamp?

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

chris2o2
05-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Yes - i think it is a poweramp , a pre-amp needed as well !! damn !!

At the moment i've been using speakers from my brothers Sony cd player just to see if i can get the system going . I've priced some Linn speakers i was hoping to get some in the near future . I have never even seen a pre-amp i dont think so to give you a budget figure would be just a random number !!

I think i may be as well selling this lot and buying a more sensible system for what i need .

Many thanks for your help though :)

Resident Loser
05-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Hey....

I hope you guys can help me with this !

I've recently become the owner of a Linn Genki CD player and Linn LK85 Amp .

They came with two power cords and two packs of brand new Linn cables - analogue interconnect 1.2m long - one packet has 2 connections while the other has 4 . There is also a small bag of 4 plastic plugs (bfa i think) .I have the manuals for each item as well as well as a remote for the CD player .

Now i am no audio man but i was hoping to get the system up and going but after several failed attempts i'm considering selling the lot.....

Can you tell me from the sounds of do i have all the essential equipment to make the system work ? and if possibly a rough price for the lot if i was to sell it ? Its in excellent condition !!

Thansk in advance . :)

...the web info is correct, the CDP has both fixed and variable outputs...sooo...you can connect it's variable outputs to the amplifiers inputs without the need for a pre-amp...connect the amp to a pair of speakers and you should be good-to-go...but if I were you, I'd read those manuals since there may be other features/functions you might need to be interested in...the plastic plugs may fit the remote links and RS232 jacks when left unused, but that's just a guess...

Rough price? Way more than I'd spend...

jimHJJ(...but then again, that's just me...)

chris2o2
05-08-2007, 10:48 AM
ahh better news :) cheers !!

basite
05-08-2007, 11:13 AM
if that's correct, that would be better news indeed :) just connect the cdp's variable outs to the power amp's inputs, by this way, you control the volume with the cd player.

although, you cannot use multiple sources by doing this, so a preamp would be a sensible upgrade later on...

good preamps are not difficult to find, linn makes them, but there are tons of other companies out there that also do, primare, krell, rotel, parasound, nad, primaluna, jolida, bryston, synthesis, Mcintosh... just to name a few...

for speakers: you could also look at monitor audio, or B&W, or Focal, totem, ... lots out there...

Welcome to the forums by the way :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

chris2o2
05-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Many thanks for the help guys :)

Luckily Linn systems are made here , i realised i dont stay far from their showroom....so i may pop in there and have a nosey about !!

The only other thing i found weird was the amp seemed to be set up for America - the fuse was a small (damn i've lost it alrady) 120v i think which had clearly been destroyed !! I've oredered some new fuse's same size but higher rating for the UK(3.15 anti-surge) , once i swap these in should that be the only difference between a UK and a US system ?

:D Cheers

Chris .

chris2o2
05-19-2007, 04:48 AM
Hey guys , another question for you experts please .

I'm actually now selling the cd player and someone has asked if it plays cd-r disc's , i presume thats copyed cd's ?!

Does anyone know if it will ??

Thanks again

Chris .

P.s i'll be back after this has sold for some advice on a cheaper but good quality system to re-place this with :)

Blue Meanie
05-19-2007, 05:01 AM
Hey guys , another question for you experts please .

I'm actually now selling the cd player and someone has asked if it plays cd-r disc's , i presume thats copyed cd's ?!

Does anyone know if it will ??

Thanks again

Chris .

P.s i'll be back after this has sold for some advice on a cheaper but good quality system to re-place this with :)

Don't you have a CD-R to throw in it to try? Yes, CD-Rs are 'copied' CDs.:)

This doesn't answer your question, but the Genki is fairly new, right (2003-2004?)? If I bought a $1950US MSRP cd player, it had better damn well play CD-Rs. I'd be VERY surprised if it doesn't.

Jeff

chris2o2
05-19-2007, 06:20 AM
i'm at work , the cd player isnt at my work........:sad:

I just wanted to answer the question asap -

Cheers .

Blue Meanie
05-19-2007, 06:32 AM
i'm at work , the cd player isnt at my work........:sad:

I just wanted to answer the question asap -

Cheers .

My bad.:( It just seemed funny that a guy has a $2000 CD player, but doesn't have a 10 cent CD-R, LOL!:smile5: But now I understand the situation.:thumbsup: I'm not retarded, just a little slow.:yesnod:

Best

Jeff

Mr Peabody
05-19-2007, 06:35 AM
DON'T SELL THAT STUFF! Man, you have gear that nost here dream about. Buy a quality preamp, used if you have to, and build on what you have, it's very good equipment. The plugs are BNC plugs for the speaker wires unless you buy some quality connects with them already on the ends you will need these because LINN amps will only accept those types of plugs for speaker connections.

For a preamp, I'd recommend LINN for synergy but you may be able to get away with an Arcam, Creek or the like. You will be doing the gear and yourself a big disservice by mating this gear with NAD, Rotel or other such "mid-fi" gear.

If you sold the CD player already I hope you didn't get taken advantage of by not knowing what you had. You shouldn't be so hasty.

chris2o2
05-19-2007, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the reply guys .

Its on ebay at the moment sitting at £200 with just under two days to go.
I'm not too sure whats a good price for it , i realise its good equipment but a second hand price is hard to judge :( - i reckon anything over £300 i'll be happy with , do you reckon this is about right ? I believe i have 6 BNC plugs already .

I've pretty much decided its not what i need or want really - too good for me i think , it would be wasted .

Jeff thanks for the replys mate , i've never managed to get the system up and running properly though so even checking its playing a cd-r would be quite hard . . . .

Many thanks again Guys , your knowledge has been of much help :)

Mr Peabody
05-19-2007, 12:50 PM
I don't know what the conversion is but some one posted retail was around $1,950.00 U.S. and it's not very old. It sounds like some one will get a great deal.

chris2o2
05-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Had an offer of £400 now too , didnt accept , i'll wait til the end of the auction !!

It does play cd-r's thanks , just waited til i got home and checked :)

Cheers .