Recent purchases [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recent purchases

ForeverAutumn
05-08-2007, 06:57 AM
It's only May and 2007 is turning into a stellar year for music, IMO. Just in the last week I've purchased...

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Baby 81
The Fratellis - Costello Music
Bright Eyes - Cassadega
Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

And at lunch time I'll be walking over to Future Shop to pick up, Maximo Park's Our Earthly Pleasures, which is being released today.

I think that I've already bought more music this year than I did all of last year.

GMichael
05-08-2007, 07:33 AM
There is a Purchasing freeze at our house. We don't buy anything that we'll have to carry back out.

Rae
05-08-2007, 07:43 AM
Yesterday I picked up the following (all on vinyl):

Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead 12"
The dB's - Like This (finally)
Donny Hathaway - Everything is Everything
Siouxsie & the Banshees - Once Upon a Time: The Singles

...but none of that is new stuff. I've been pretty light on 2007 releases.

~Rae

Stone
05-08-2007, 07:52 AM
These two come to mind:

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/dri600/i630/i63047dz5c6.jpghttp://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/dri200/i238/i23867heu19.jpg

ForeverAutumn
05-08-2007, 08:06 AM
These two come to mind:

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/dri600/i630/i63047dz5c6.jpghttp://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/dri200/i238/i23867heu19.jpg

What do you think of that Feist disk? She's Canada's new Darling and was on our local morning show this week. I only saw her perform one song, but it was pretty darn good. I also saw her with Broken Social Scene a couple of years ago and was also impressed by her performance there. But I've also heard some stuff by her that I didn't like so much.

Swish
05-08-2007, 08:14 AM
Decemberists - both Her Majesty and The Tain to complete my collection
The Pogues - If I Should Fall From Grace With God - remastered with 6 bonus tracks
The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America
Midlake - The Trials of Van Occupanther
Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha - had a 'preview' copy of mp3s but needed the real deal
Richmond Fontaine - Thirteen Cities - paid thru the nose for the import version because I couldn't wait for the US release
Wilco - Sky Blue Sky - pre-ordered from Amazon. Wilco is always MUST HAVE status
The National - Boxer - also pre-ordered from Amazon. Another on permanent MUST HAVE status.

Swish

nobody
05-08-2007, 08:47 AM
I've been finding quite a lot this year to enjoy. My most recent pirchasing spree was this past weekend when I grabbed...

<b>Los Straightjackets: Rock en Español, Vol. 1</b>
Excellent album of Spanish language versions of classic rock 'n' roll tunes. Hard not to smile when Dizzy Miss Lizzy gets reworked into El Microscopico Bikini. This one was perfect for the Cinco De Mayo celebrations.

<b>Southern Culture on the Skids: Countrypolitan</b>
Another cover album, this time mostly country tunes but with a couple oddball selections like T Rex's Life's A Gas. I've been kinda disappointed in these guys since the very good Dirt Track Date, but I'm digging this one.

<b>Cocorosie: The Adventures of Ghosthorse and Stillborn</b>
I've only heard their first two albums at a friend's house in the background, but was always intrigued by what little I did hear. Folky, electronic weirdness. Alternately sparse and cluttered. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I’ll get a lot of listens out of it. (free MP3s with vionyl purchase)

<b>Dntel: Dumb Luck</b>
It's been a while for these guys. Maybe not as cohesive as Life Is Full of Possibilities and also not quite as sedate, although still way more laid back than projects like Postal Service. Excellent electronic stuff here. (Free MP3s with vinyl purchase)

And I also picked up a used copy of <b>Lenny & The Squigtones</b>. Any of you think Spinal Tap was Michael McKeon's first musical parody needs to get a listen of this one...even features Nigel Tufnell of guitar.

ForeverAutumn
05-08-2007, 10:35 AM
So, while I was buying the new Maximo Park, I also happened to pick up:

Chilliwack's Greatest Hits
Radiohead - OK Computer (I might already have this at home, but I'm not sure)
AC/DC - The Razors Edge

All on sale for 3/$25. If I have the Radiohead, I'll go back and exchange it for Interpol.

Oh, and in my first post I was only listing the 2007 stuff I've bought this week. I also ordered another Bright Eyes disk from Amazon, that should arrive today along with my PT disk. So, that puts me at 10 CDs since Saturday.

I have a six hour flight tomorrow and returning on Sunday, so at least I'll have lots of listening time. :14:

opt80
05-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Since May 1

Warren Zevon ~ Preludes & Rarities

Greg Brown ~ Slant 6 Mind

Greg Brown ~ Hills of California

Lee Hazlewood ~ Cake and Death

Brandi Carlile ~ The Story

Brandi Carlile ~ S|T

Midlake ~ The Trials of Van Occupanther

The Band ~ Best of A Musical History

Blackie & The Rodeo Kings ~ Le's Frolic Again

Last Town Chorus S\t

FA is right it is a sickness,when will I ever listen to them all?The thing is,if it has been released it is on sale at Future Shop or CD Plus. A grat source is the local indie store,Back Alley Music.A lot of you would love this place.loads of cds,vinyl and even cassettes.
JD and Tozer have heard me go on about this place for years

Alan

Ex Lion Tamer
05-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead 12"
[/i]

~Rae

Oooohhh that's a goo one. Dripping with atmosphere/ambiance.

As for me, I may be repeating myself here but...

Finally picked up the Davey favey; David Kilgour Frozen Orange - so fresh I haven't even listened to it yet...but I can't wait.

Other recent buys;

Neko Case - Blacklisted speaking of atmosphere.
Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha
Kings of Leon - Because of the TIme
The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

I am enjoying them all, especially Neko Case and Andrew Bird

Mike
05-09-2007, 06:34 AM
Bjork - Volta, too early to tell yet
Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare, much better than the debut
Kings of Leon - Because of the Times, their best yet IMO, much darker

And finally Wayne Robbins - Lonesome Sea. I only ordered this the other day and it's arrived in record time. It slipped off my wishlist back in 2005 and thanks to Davey boy it's resurfaced. it's got a 2007 UK distribution and I'm glad I picked it up, it's a real quality release the sort of CD you'll still be listening to in 2027.

Good to see some other firm favourites on peoples lists like Maximo Park, Midlake, Ricmond Fontaine and Feist, no sign of my DNTEL yet though.

Cheers
Mike

Mr Peabody
05-09-2007, 05:30 PM
I haven't bought any 2007 albums, well maybe, I bought the most recent Nelly Furtado which isn't bad for a Pop album.

I went to a record show Sunday. I bought on CD the first John Cougar: a Jimmie Smith, which turned out to be mono and Jefferson Airplane, Surrealistic Pillow. Can you believe I had a couple of the singles off this album on comp albums but this is the first full Airplane.

On vinyl I bought Carole King's, Tapestry;
A better copy of Yes, Fragile, than the one I have:
Ozark Mountain Daredevils first album;
Isley Brothers, Go All The Way
a sealed copy of Maynard Ferguson, Blues Roar, which I've never heard before;
Trooper, Thick As Thieves, features Regional classic track Raise A Little Hell:
Rockwell, Captured, this was cheap and a friend told me his stuff was good and not to be compared to his one hit wonder, Someone's Watching Me, we shall see:
Henry Gross, Love is The Stuff, sealed copy, again, I just took a chance, I haven't heard this album before either.

My friend that went with me brought me a bunch of vinyl I haven't had a chance to go through yet. He buys it and puts them on CD, then just gives the vinyl away. He is into oldies and not too picky about snaps & pops, so I'm not feeling too anxious, but, hey, it's free.

likeitloud
05-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Whats up FA, You're right about 07 being great for new music, what with new Ozzy in
a couple weeks, new Scorps out this week, AC/DC end of the year, Dream Theater,
Velvet Revolver, It's all good.

Saxon..The Inner Sanctum
Shadows Fall..Threads Of Life
Night Ranger..Hole In The Sun
Saliva..Blood Stained Love Story

Mr Peabody
05-09-2007, 05:58 PM
What year is the Saxon and Night Ranger from? I haven't heard anyone mention Saxon in years. I have one of their albums on vinyl but I can't remember the name. I like it a lot though.

likeitloud
05-10-2007, 05:31 AM
Both were released last month, the Night Ranger is OK, the Saxon is very good.

Stone
05-10-2007, 06:45 AM
What do you think of that Feist disk? She's Canada's new Darling and was on our local morning show this week. I only saw her perform one song, but it was pretty darn good. I also saw her with Broken Social Scene a couple of years ago and was also impressed by her performance there. But I've also heard some stuff by her that I didn't like so much.

So far I like it quite a bit. It's a bit more sparse than I thought it would be, so I'm still getting used to it.

Monkey Bones
05-10-2007, 07:43 AM
Not very much yet for me, but some things on the horizon I'm looking forward to. So far ...

Sly & the Family Stone 7-disc box, very cool, still haven't even listened to it all, but sounds way better than any version I've heard before

Blonde Redhead - 23, just a great record, still has everything I love about them, very unique sound, totally enjoyable, might be my record of the year in a few more months if I haven't worn it out by then

Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha, demo copy from one of my RR buddies, real copy on the way. Love this record. Bird probably can do no wrong by me at this stage. Way up there near the top of my artist of the new millenium list based on the last 4. Head to head with Kazu and the Pace brothers above for favorite listen right now. Both enchanting listens that linger long after.

Hood - Outside Closer, picked it up used cause I love the one that came before it, not quite as good, seems to wander around more, but I do like that sound

Electrelane - No Shouts, No Calls, on it's way so haven't heard the whole thing yet, but loved the downloads that I posted previously. Won't have the Albini touch, but still sounds sympathetic to that recording style. Hope it was mastered as well as the great sounding last two.

The Twilight Sad - Fourteen Autumns & Fifteen Winters, just ordered this one too, anxious to hear the real thing after listening a bit to some downloads. "And she would darken the the memory" really hooked me in a good way, like some of those droney anthems by Interpol, when they aren't being too mopey.

Mr MidFi
05-10-2007, 10:36 AM
So far, I am liking the new ones from Porcupine Tree, Arcade Fire and Andrew Bird...as I've mentioned in previous threads. There are some really great moments in all of them.

The jury's still out on the new Wilco. I'm liking it more than I did at first, but it just seems so...light. I'm having trouble sinking my (summer)teeth into it. Maybe my patience will eventually be rewarded. Maybe.

And I picked up an old fave from yesteryear, finally, on ceedee...Thick as a Brick. Ah, to be a pimply-faced 15 y.o. kid again, smoking a bong for the first time and discovering that crazy-ass album cover.

Thinking about getting that new BRMC disc, based on what I've heard so far...how you liking that one, Autumn?

NP: Paul Simon, Rhythm of the Saints

bobsticks
05-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Kind of a slow week for me musically speaking and I had already decided to take a trip up north to my hi-rez and classical source on Saturday. When the rush hour blues kicked in the quick, right turn to the indie store seemed like a good thing. You've got to eat a balanced diet and, besides, I was curious about some stuff.

Today's take:

My Mornig Jacket~Z
The Arctic Monkeys~Favorite Worst Nightmare
Amy Winehouse~Back To Black
Meat Beat Manifesto~Actual Sounds + Voices
Government Mule~High & Mighty
Bebel Gilberto~Momento
Karizma~A Mind of It's Own
My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult~Confessions of a Knife
Coleman Hawkins~The Hawk Relaxes
Bright Eyes~Cassadega
Ray Lamontagne~Trouble
Bjork~Volta

...and I just got done spinning Los Straightjackets~Twist Party which has some pretty cool tunes to wear a bad suit and scarf La Grande avec fromage to even if at the end it starts to sound like the ghost of Bobby Pickett sodomizing Dick Dale a bit.

Even a moderate plundering over the weekend would make this a solid week for new tunes.

Cheers

Mr Peabody
05-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Both were released last month, the Night Ranger is OK, the Saxon is very good.

Amonth! Where did you hear about these? Is it the original members of NR? I'll check for the Saxon, I thought they might have been like most Metal bands of yesteryear and faded away to sell cars or something. Do you know how long since their album before this was?

Hey, there's a new guy on the board called "digital", he has a link to his website, I checked it out and there is a story about the new Rush album being released on a new format. I shouldn't bring it up because I just browsed it late and forgot most of it but it is suppose to have a 5.1 mix and I think some video. It sounded interesting.

likeitloud
05-11-2007, 04:39 AM
Amonth! Where did you hear about these? Is it the original members of NR? I'll check for the Saxon, I thought they might have been like most Metal bands of yesteryear and faded away to sell cars or something. Do you know how long since their album before this was?

Hey, there's a new guy on the board called "digital", he has a link to his website, I checked it out and there is a story about the new Rush album being released on a new format. I shouldn't bring it up because I just browsed it late and forgot most of it but it is suppose to have a 5.1 mix and I think some video. It sounded interesting.

Yes, Night Ranger is back with singer Jack Blades, and Lead Shred Brad Gillis(Very under-
rated)....Saxon had flown off the radar, but have been releasing material forever, there
disc prior to Inner Sanctum, was 2002's Killing Ground, another must have for Rock
guitar/Metal fans. Saxon's issue to me is, you have to get past the vocals, once you do,
you'll see/hear, these guys really know how to play, and there 2 guitarists really have
talent, right up there with Priests Tipton/Downing, give the new disc a listen, let me
know what you think.

Jim Clark
05-11-2007, 03:07 PM
I've got a couple mentioned in this thread included in my 2007 buying. Like Swish I'm waiting for THE NATIONAL! Also set for Moonbabies, Wheat, Postal Service among others this year.

Got that Twilight Sad that Davey's waiting on. Pretty cool in spots. My youngest asked what language the guy was speaking. For the record it's English with a heavy Glasgow accents.

VNV Nation - Judgement
Clinic - Visitations
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - Some Loud Thunder
The Shins - Wincing...
LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver
Blonde Redhead - 23
Arcade Fire
Andrew Bird - I got that preview copy and it didn't really grab me too much. After sitting in the visor holder for a month I pulled it out again and now it's one of my faves of the year and will be tough to knock out of the top ten. I always skip track five and skipping a track is never a good sign for a potential album of the year but top 10 is doable.

Got the first Feist album and love about half so I'm uncertain about the new one.
DNTEL - that Nobody grabbed too. I'm really digging it a lot.

oh yeah, and Love Of Diagrams.

That's all I can recall for 2007 but it's a pretty decent start.

jc

Rae
05-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Again, not 2007 releases but today I picked up:

Phil Ochs - I Ain't Marching Any More
Phil Ochs - In Concert
Wu-Tang Clan - Wu-Tang Forever (4 LPs!!!)
Safety Last - s/t EP
James White & the Blacks - Contort Yrself 12"

and from the dollar bin:
Joan Jett & the Blackhearts - I Love Rock & Roll
New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle 12"

Yep, it's a sickness.

~Rae

Audio Girl
05-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Here's what I purchased today (all ceedee):

(1) Amy Winehouse -- Back To Black (thanks again, Rae!)

(2) Macy Gray -- BIG

(3) Warren Zevon -- Preludes

Only have listened to the Amy Winehouse...can't take it out of the player so the others may have to wait until later this weekend...

:-)

Mr Peabody
05-11-2007, 07:23 PM
The Saxon album I have is Strong Arm of the Law. I checked out some samples and it's amazing how they kept their same sound over the years.

PeruvianSkies
05-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Tonight I am putting Bright Eyes latest album on repeat for the next few hours....we shall see how things go.

Slosh
05-12-2007, 04:28 AM
Clinic - VisitationsWhat do you think of this? I really like their first two albums but Winchester Cathedral left me cold, although it still has a few decent songs. Anyway, I still haven't found a place to preview this after all this time.

Andrew Bird - I got that preview copy and it didn't really grab me too much. After sitting in the visor holder for a month I pulled it out again and now it's one of my faves of the year and will be tough to knock out of the top ten. I always skip track five and skipping a track is never a good sign for a potential album of the year but top 10 is doable.The leaked version has a different track order than the real thing. Track 5 on the legit album is "Armchairs" and is probably my favorite song on this album and maybe of his entire career. I can see you not liking it :D

Most recent purchase for me isn't really new and actually I believe it was you who sent me a preview a few years ago. Better late than never

ForeverAutumn
05-12-2007, 07:21 AM
Thinking about getting that new BRMC disc, based on what I've heard so far...how you liking that one, Autumn?

It's the only BRMC that I own so I can't compare it to other CDs of their's. But for a first listen, I like it. I need to spend more time with it, but I can see this drawing me in to wanting to explore this band more. As for how it stands up in their catalogue, you may want to poll people who are more experienced with this band than I am.

Jim Clark
05-12-2007, 11:16 AM
What do you think of this? I really like their first two albums but Winchester Cathedral left me cold, although it still has a few decent songs. Anyway, I still haven't found a place to preview this after all this time.The leaked version has a different track order than the real thing. Track 5 on the legit album is "Armchairs" and is probably my favorite song on this album and maybe of his entire career. I can see you not liking it :D

Most recent purchase for me isn't really new and actually I believe it was you who sent me a preview a few years ago. Better late than never

Yeah, I ended up liking the preview so much that I bought a legit copy as I usually do. "Armchairs" has a lot in common with unnatural acts with hippo balls.

As for the Clinic, you are owed. I'm on it.

jc

Monkey Bones
05-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Track 5 on the legit album is "Armchairs" and is probably my favorite song on this album and maybe of his entire career.
What a beautiful song. Like some epic classic from Lennon-McCartney, when they moved in that direction. Or Harry Nilsson. I think he's singing better than ever on this song, sounds almost like Roy Orbison toward the end. Brilliant lyrics, really wraps up that whole "armchair for the apocalyse" imagery that has swept through the last few albums. Crisis? What crisis? Reminds me of that great short story that I often mention by Sam Delany, Time considered as a helix of semi-precious stones. OK, so he doesn't quite rise to those very lofty literary levels, where almost every line seems like it was written in your own thoughts, but good golly miss molly, Bird is gem. Man out of time....

The awkward pause
The fatal flaw
Time, it's a crooked bow
Time is a crooked bow

Fifty-five and three-eighths years later
at the bottom of this gigantic crater
an armchair calls to you
now this armchair calls to you
and it says that someday
we'll get back at them all
with epoxy and a pair of pliers
as ancient sea slugs begin to crawl
through the ragweed and barbed wire

Jim Clark
05-12-2007, 01:55 PM
What a beautiful song. Like some epic classic from Lennon-McCartney, when they moved in that direction. Or Harry Nilsson. I think he's singing better than ever on this song, sounds almost like Roy Orbison toward the end. Brilliant lyrics, really wraps up that whole "armchair for the apocalyse" imagery that has swept through the last few albums. Crisis? What crisis? Reminds me of that great short story that I often mention by Sam Delany, Time considered as a helix of semi-precious stones. OK, so he doesn't quite rise to those very lofty literary levels, where almost every line seems like it was written in your own thoughts, but good golly miss molly, Bird is gem. Man out of time....

The awkward pause
The fatal flaw
Time, it's a crooked bow
Time is a crooked bow

Fifty-five and three-eighths years later
at the bottom of this gigantic crater
an armchair calls to you
now this armchair calls to you
and it says that someday
we'll get back at them all
with epoxy and a pair of pliers
as ancient sea slugs begin to crawl
through the ragweed and barbed wire

You and Sloshy can have that one. I'll stick by # 10, Scythian Empires. Now that's a toon.

jc

Monkey Bones
05-12-2007, 05:18 PM
You and Sloshy can have that one. I'll stick by # 10, Scythian Empires. Now that's a toon.
Yea, love that one too. Probably my favorite. But kind of hard to understand why you like one and not the other. Oh well, doesn't matter to me, just glad I don't suffer from the same occasional lapses in good taste http://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Hey, Blonde Redhead! Waddaya think of that one so far? Many skippers on it? None for me, love it all, but maybe I'm too easy?

likeitloud
05-12-2007, 06:20 PM
The Saxon album I have is Strong Arm of the Law. I checked out some samples and it's amazing how they kept their same sound over the years.

I have it also, also check out Solid Ball Of Rock, good stuff. It's cool that "Real" metal
bands are still out there shredd'in, there's new Priest on the horizon, new Ozzy on
5/25, so there's always hope.

Jim Clark
05-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Yea, love that one too. Probably my favorite. But kind of hard to understand why you like one and not the other. Oh well, doesn't matter to me, just glad I don't suffer from the same occasional lapses in good taste http://forums.audioreview.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Hey, Blonde Redhead! Waddaya think of that one so far? Many skippers on it? None for me, love it all, but maybe I'm too easy?

Hey yeah, I'm enjoying parts of 23, heretofore referred to as Blonde Radiohead : )

Kidding aside, it's another one of those, "what were they thinking" packaging screw ups.

I really dig the opener and wish the balance had some of the same energy instead relying on undercurrents. If they did that they would have ended up with a Garbage (the band!) album though.

Track three, The Dress is a favorite too.

I"m going to give it some more time and see if more than the first three tracks appeal to me. As always, I remain hopeful.

jc

Monkey Bones
05-13-2007, 07:43 AM
Hey yeah, I'm enjoying parts of 23, heretofore referred to as Blonde Radiohead : )

Kidding aside, it's another one of those, "what were they thinking" packaging screw ups.

I really dig the opener and wish the balance had some of the same energy instead relying on undercurrents. If they did that they would have ended up with a Garbage (the band!) album though.

Track three, The Dress is a favorite too.

I"m going to give it some more time and see if more than the first three tracks appeal to me. As always, I remain hopeful.

jc
I tend to like the Blonde Radiohead tracks the best, "Publisher" being my current favorite. The sound that reminds me most of Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons. But "Dress" is probably the song that best harkens back to the dark side of the last album, Misery is a Butterfly, and probably my favorite from the first half. I think alot of people are echoing your sentiment about front loading, but for me, some of the best songs flow through the second half, when the sound opens up more, not quite as layered in the production, and more diverse. And "My Impure Hair" is a near perfect closer, very stripped down by comparison.

3-LockBox
05-16-2007, 11:40 PM
I been on a real classical music bender lately. I have mostly samplers in the past, you know, the kind they give away free, just for auditioning the Bose Wave Radio experience, anyway...I have a few actual full length symphonies, but I guess I'm not a true afficienado of classical cuz I enjoy the comps too much. For example, I like a mix of modern and classic symphonies, so what better way to hear this than the Telarc series, Time Warp and Star Tracks I & II, comprised mostly of exerps and main themes, these discs sound great. I find so much of what I hear in classical symphonies to be a bore, yeah yeah I know, I'm not an afficienado. I even enjoy the edited versions of some classical pieces I hear on the Fantasia 2000 CD; again, excellent sound quality. I do enjoy some full length symphonies, like the Four Seasons, Stravinski's Firebird Suite and Rite Of Spring, Motzart's Three Divertimenti for Strings concerto, and R.Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra in its entirety is pretty good, even though I'm pretty much numb to the intro by now.

Also Sparch Zarathustra as well as Holst:The Planets are recent purchases along with the new one from Blackfield.

Rae
11-23-2007, 02:15 PM
Is this the official recent purchases thread?

Electric Fetus was having a 20% storewide sale today. Would've been nice to avoid any consumption on this fabricated holiday but my impulsive side trumped my ideological one. $40 got me (all on vinyl):

- Caetano Veloso - Estrangeiro
- Dion & the Belmonts - The Dion Years (2 LPs-- finally the Dion collection I've been looking for)
- Billie Holliday - The Lady Sings the Blues
- Van Morrison - Astral Weeks (near mint!)
- The Modern Jazz Quartet - Blues at Carnegie Hall
- Miles Davis - In a Silent Way (great looking copy)
- John Fahey - Popular Songs of Christmas and New Year's (y'know, the season)
- David Lindley & El Rayo-X - Win This Record! (just heard Davey mention these guys from time to time... better be good)
- Yaz - Upstairs at Eric's (ran across this in the dollar bin and couldn't remember if I had it already. I did. Now I realize that must mean I don't listen to it anyway. Anyone want 2 copies?)

~Rae

Davey
11-23-2007, 04:39 PM
- David Lindley & El Rayo-X - Win This Record! (just heard Davey mention these guys from time to time... better be good)

Well, I only have the one before that, the one pictured below, and it is a ton of fun. Great sounding record too. Everybody here probably has a few records with Lindley playing some instrument(s).

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41P9BCYEX7L._AA240_.jpg

The original vinyl is really the only way to hear Astral Weeks, it just has so much vibrancy and delicacy that doesn't seem conveyed nearly as well on the CD. Hopefully someday someone like Steve Hoffman will get a crack at it, and capture that sound on the CD too. Very unlikely, but maybe. Is yours the original green label issue? The later ones with the palm trees sound pretty good too, that's what I started out with, but that original is pretty highly sought after, and it does sound better.

audio amateur
11-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Since a few weeks ago:
Big Sur- Big Sur
Portishead- Dummy
Sasha- Xpander EP
Sasha live in Ibiza- Global underground 13
Medal of Honor OST (this one is simply glorious)
Medal of Honor- Underground OST
Medal of Honor- Frontline OST
Esthero- Breath from another
50 Cent- The massacre
Fragma- Toca
Final Fantasy VII Reunion Tracks
Kanye West- The college dropout

That's most of what I can remember

Bernd
11-24-2007, 02:34 AM
After a very enjoyable session with the Sigur Ros box set I thought I would explore something similar musically.
This is what arrived:

Mono - You are there

Yndi Halda - Enjoy eternal bliss

Laura - Radio swan is down

Blueneck - Scars of the midwest

I am enjoying all of these and if Sigur Ros does it for you, check these out. Any recommendations of this genre?

Peace

:16:

Mr Peabody
11-24-2007, 05:17 AM
Just what would you call that genre? I bought one Sigor Ros album, the name escapes me now, it was like nothing I've heard before. I play it occasionally when in the mood but not my normal flavor. I'll have to check out those other groups you mentioned. I always like to check samples of music I haven't heard of before.

When you are in the mood to Rock have you ever listened to bands like Epica, Nightwish or Tristania?

Bernd
11-24-2007, 07:34 AM
Just what would you call that genre? I bought one Sigor Ros album, the name escapes me now, it was like nothing I've heard before. I play it occasionally when in the mood but not my normal flavor. I'll have to check out those other groups you mentioned. I always like to check samples of music I haven't heard of before.

When you are in the mood to Rock have you ever listened to bands like Epica, Nightwish or Tristania?

I would call that genre "post-rock", but don't like that term. I have not heard the bands you mentioned and I shall check them out. Even though I am not an out and out rock fan, but it's always good to find something new. Thanks.

Peace

:16:

Ex Lion Tamer
11-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Is this the official recent purchases thread?

Electric Fetus was having a 20% storewide sale today. Would've been nice to avoid any consumption on this fabricated holiday but my impulsive side trumped my ideological one. $40 got me (all on vinyl):

- Caetano Veloso - Estrangeiro
- Dion & the Belmonts - The Dion Years (2 LPs-- finally the Dion collection I've been looking for)
- Billie Holliday - The Lady Sings the Blues
- Van Morrison - Astral Weeks (near mint!)
- The Modern Jazz Quartet - Blues at Carnegie Hall
- Miles Davis - In a Silent Way (great looking copy)
- John Fahey - Popular Songs of Christmas and New Year's (y'know, the season)
- Yaz - Upstairs at Eric's (ran across this in the dollar bin and couldn't remember if I had it already. I did. Now I realize that must mean I don't listen to it anyway. Anyone want 2 copies?)

~Rae

That's a very nice little haul Rae, certainly worth comprimising your values for, I'd say. Especially theBillie, the Van, the Miles and the MJQ. I think I'm about due for some vinyl mining myself.

Here are my most recent finds...

Morphine - Cure for Pain, another one to blame dbi for, I've only had Yes up to nw, which is great - Cure for Pain just might be greater

The White Stripes - Icky Thump; I like it, definitely dirtier and greasier than Elephant.

The National - Boxer; very good too, I like it better than Cherry Tree

Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend, this one gets all the pub, but so far I prefer 100% fun.

The Olivia Tremor Control - Dusk at Cubist Castle; it's actually a much longer title, which I can't remember here, first impressions are good, but I need to spend a whole lot more time to figure this one out.

The Catherine Wheel - Chrome, About time I picked up this reveered album - turns out it's just my cup-a-tea.

Dinosaur Jr. - You're living all over Me Another overlooked (by me) classic - sounds like a killer at first listen.

Mercury Rev Boces; one listen - not sure I'll be taking to this one.

Wilco - Summerteeth; can you believe how many classic albums I don't have?

Josh Ritter - The Historical Conquestes of... Everything that Sloshy says about this one seems about right.

Babyshambles - Shotter's Nation Along the lines of other Brits like The Libertines, Futureheads - not my favorite style these days, but this 'ain't half bad.

Interpol - Our Love to Admire - more of the same from Interpol, not really a bad thing, but is's getting a little redundant/boring

Patrick Watson - Close to Paradise - Canadian Singer/songwriter recommended to me by a co-worker, just a first impression so far - bit of a jeff Buckley wannabe. We'll see if my impression inproves from here.

Radiohead - In Rainbows; Is it me or is this not being talked about at all? I like it well enough, probably more-so than Hail to the Thief, but less so than the big three.

Super Furry Animals - In Venus This is my first SFA album, It is good. Will look for more

Pinback - Some Voices/Off Cell Lucked into this EP twofer; after really enjoying Summer in Abbadon, these come as a nice little suprise.

Idlewild - The Remote Part; 100 Broken Windows is a real favorite of mine - hard to explain why it took so long for me to get another Idlewild album. This one doesn't seem to have anything as great as Roseability or Mistake Pageant or Little Discourage, but seems like a solid album.

So you can see I have a lot of listening to do.

Rae
11-28-2007, 12:28 PM
The original vinyl is really the only way to hear Astral Weeks, it just has so much vibrancy and delicacy that doesn't seem conveyed nearly as well on the CD. Hopefully someday someone like Steve Hoffman will get a crack at it, and capture that sound on the CD too. Very unlikely, but maybe. Is yours the original green label issue? The later ones with the palm trees sound pretty good too, that's what I started out with, but that original is pretty highly sought after, and it does sound better.

Yeah, I looked at it and it is actually a solid green label. Sounds real nice.

Here are my most recent finds...

Morphine - Cure for Pain, another one to blame dbi for, I've only had Yes up to nw, which is great - Cure for Pain just might be greater

Definitely my favorite Morphine by some distance. This is my all-time hangover record.

Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend, this one gets all the pub, but so far I prefer 100% fun.

Not me!

Dinosaur Jr. - You're living all over Me Another overlooked (by me) classic - sounds like a killer at first listen.

Yeah, another favorite! Get Bug, too-- they're of a piece.

Radiohead - In Rainbows; Is it me or is this not being talked about at all? I like it well enough, probably more-so than Hail to the Thief, but less so than the big three.

I'm really curious to hear yr impressions of this. I heard one single on the radio and was pretty underwhelmed.

Idlewild - The Remote Part; 100 Broken Windows is a real favorite of mine - hard to explain why it took so long for me to get another Idlewild album. This one doesn't seem to have anything as great as Roseability or Mistake Pageant or Little Discourage, but seems like a solid album.

Puke. This one is so overproduced that I can't listen to it. Only worthwhile track was their cover of "I Found That Essence Rare" on the bonus EP. These songs sounded so great live, too; I saw them in the tiny 250-person capacity 7th St Entry on the Remote Part tour and they absolutely rocked. Guess someone just wanted to give 'em that MTV/radio sheen. If you don't have it already, go backwards and pick up Hope is Important... that one is almost as good as 100 Broken Windows (and sometimes I like it even better just due to its scruffiness).

Great haul overall, though!

~Rae