The White Stripes? Really? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The White Stripes? Really?

ForeverAutumn
05-08-2007, 05:30 AM
I'm listening to the radio on the way to work this morning (it's a short drive, not worth the hassle of getting the whole iPod set-up going), and I hear this great song. I'm thinking that this is the best thing that I've heard on the radio in a very long time. I stick around to try to hear who the band is, and the DJ announces that it's The White Stripes.

Wow. I've really never liked The White Stripes. I've never heard a whole CD, just the stuff that gets played on the radio. But the radio stuff has never made me want to spend the time listening to a full CD. But now I'm wondering whether I should reconsider that stance and give them more of a chance.

I didn't catch the name of the song, but I'm guessing that it's new since I've never heard it before and the DJ said that in his opinion its the best song they're playing right now.

PeruvianSkies
05-08-2007, 06:44 AM
is it called ICKY THUMP??

nobody
05-08-2007, 08:53 AM
I'm a big White Stripes fan, so of course, I'm all in favor of your getting mroe White Stripes. I haven't heard the new single yet, so I don't know how it compares to their other stuff. But, if you don't like the singles that get played, you may be more inclined toward their last couple albums (Elephant and Get Behind Me Satan) as they feature a couple kinda crash and burn singles, but the rest of the albums are more relaxed affairs. White Blood Cells is very good and their first "big" album, but it is more uptempo most of the way through compared to the other ones I mentioned. I'm a huige fan of De Stijl, but its really stripped down. Their debut is just a strauight up lo-fi garage rocker.

basite
05-08-2007, 11:15 AM
nothing beats 'seven nation army' from the 'elephant' album I think...

Ex Lion Tamer
05-08-2007, 04:22 PM
And for all those White Stripes fans in Nunavut, here are the Canadian dates on their upcoming tour:

06-24 Burnaby, British Columbia - Deer Lake Park
06-25 Whitehorse, Yukon - Yukon Arts Centre
06-26 Yellowknife, Northwest Territories - Shorty Brown Multiplex Arena
06-27 Iqaluit, Nunavut - Arctic Winter Games Arena
06-29 Calgary, Alberta - Pengrowth Saddledome
06-30 Edmonton, Alberta - Shaw Convention Center
07-01 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan - TCU Place
07-02 Winnipeg, Manitoba - MTS Centre
07-03 Thunder Bay, Ontario - Community Auditorium
07-05 Toronto, Ontario - Molson Amphitheatre
07-06 Montreal, Quebec - Bell Centre
07-07 London, Ontario - John Labatt Centre
07-08 Ottawa, Ontario - LeBreton Flats Park (Ottawa Bluesfest)
07-10 Moncton, New Brunswick - Moncton Coliseum Arena
07-11 Charlottetown, Price Edward Island - Charlottetown Civic Centre
07-13 Halifax, Nova Scotia - Cunard Centre
07-14 Glace Bay, Nova Scotia - Savoy Theatre
07-16 St. John's, Newfoundland - Mile One Center

You gotta love a band that appreciate their fans enough to play Whitehorse.

Well done Jack & Meg.

SlumpBuster
05-10-2007, 08:22 AM
You gotta love a band that appreciate their fans enough to play Whitehorse.

Well done Jack & Meg.

They do lots o' good fan things. In Detroit (their hometown) they always play multiple shows at a smaller venue, even though they could just play one show in a big arena.

Plus, they release lots of wicked cool 7" singles.

And, yeah Forever Autumn, they really are that good. I don't think the radio singles are that representative. Nobody is right, De Stijl is a great record. It takes a couple of listens because it is somewhat eclectic. But, their version of Son House's "Death Letter Blues" will peel the paint from your walls and melt all your other records (to paraphrase David Lee Roth). "When I got there, she was layin' on the cooling board."

Audio Girl
05-11-2007, 06:48 PM
FA, this group is one of my faves. If you would like a comp, let me know. Your wish is my command. ;-)

ForeverAutumn
05-12-2007, 07:09 AM
FA, this group is one of my faves. If you would like a comp, let me know. Your wish is my command. ;-)

Thanks AG. I'd love a comp! I'll PM you with my address.