Hamlet: bout time!!!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hamlet: bout time!!!!!!

PeruvianSkies
05-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Word is that Kenneth Branagh's HAMLET is finally coming to DVD...it's about dang time. This is an important film to me because it is the last feature film to be shot completely in 70mm, which looked stunning as all get-out! While I like the Mel Gibson version of this film, this one is more complete and just sweeping in every way imaginable. Here are the details that I found from thedigitalbits.com

Warner has just finally confirmed the release of Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet: 2-Disc Special Edition on 8/14 (SRP $26.99). The set will contain the remastered film in anamorphic widescreen video (transferred from the original 70mm elements) with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, a new introduction to the film by director/star Kenneth Branagh, audio commentary by Branagh and Shakespeare scholar Russell Jackson, the To Be on Camera: A History with Hamlet featurette, the 1996 Cannes Film Festival promo and a Shakespeare movies trailer gallery. We expect high-def versions on both formats to be announced in the weeks ahead as well.

You'll also find the Hamlet: 2-Disc Special Edition packaged as part of Warner's The Shakespeare Collection box set (due 8/14 - SRP $59.92), which will also feature Max Reinhardt's A Midsummer Night's Dream (1935), Sir Laurence Olivier's Othello and the MGM version of Romeo and Juliet starring Leslie Howard and Norma Shearer (also available individually for SRP $19.97 each).

Anyone else excited or am I the only Bill Shakespeare fan around here????

Worf101
05-08-2007, 03:58 AM
I enjoyed Hamlet and found it to be a wonderful film. I do like Olivier's version a bit better. But man, "The Melancholy Dane". I never realized until watching Brannaghs version recently just how many lines from the play have found their way into the lexicon of terms... Interesting.

There is indeed something rotten in the State of Denmark. It's JSE's feets.

Da Worfster

PeruvianSkies
05-08-2007, 04:54 AM
I enjoyed Hamlet and found it to be a wonderful film. I do like Olivier's version a bit better. But man, "The Melancholy Dane". I never realized until watching Brannaghs version recently just how many lines from the play have found their way into the lexicon of terms... Interesting.

There is indeed something rotten in the State of Denmark. It's JSE's feets.

Da Worfster

I would have to agree that Olivier's HAMLET is probably a more authentic interpretation, but I like Branagh's version for the production value and sweeping nature. Both are quite good and I guess it just depends on what kind of mood you are in as well. RICHARD III is probably one of Olivier's best productions of a Shakespeare play, shot in VistaVision with glorious color it's unbelievable looking!

SlumpBuster
05-09-2007, 10:04 AM
While I like the Mel Gibson version of this film

In my best impersonation of Phil Hartman impersonating Frank Sinatra "Neva' heard of 'em! Next!"