Musical Escapades... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Musical Escapades...

PeruvianSkies
05-06-2007, 08:47 PM
I gotta question for everyone just to see if anyone else ever had this happen to them...

Have you ever listened to a particular song that you haven't heard in (insert: years, months, long time, etc) and it brings back not memories so much, but rather an era of your life or a particular feeling in life?

Unlike how certain songs make me recall perhaps a certain memory I recently came across a song that I played quite often probably close to 10 years ago. It was during that time that I was in college and going through alot of inward changes in my life about who I was, and other usual college stuff. The song didn't necessarily 'impact' me so much, but I suppose it's more like a familar smell that upon recognizing it you recall a certain place, person, thing, etc. So this song really touched me because I starting thinking back on the past decade and was really smacked with the reality of how fast time goes.

Anyone relate or have similar experience with songs and such?

MindGoneHaywire
05-06-2007, 09:37 PM
Sure. It's something that tends to fade with time unless you spend a lot of time revisiting music from a time when most people feel they haven't maybe grown into the people they eventually become. But it's something that's especially rewarding considering how many people seem to be really into music as much as the people on these boards, but end up adopting attitudes towards this or that, i.e. I don't listen to that stuff we listened to when we were adolescents, or, I've moved on & now all I listen to is ______ (unspoken: 'because now I'm all mature & can't relate to how I felt as an adolescent, or don't want to).

Often I find it's stuff that I had in heavy rotation that does this, but in many cases I got burned out for one reason or another. Ever spend a weekend discovering & re-playing, constantly, a song or rec? Those usually make for nice rediscoveries. iTunes helps tremendously. I have a playlist that has familiar stuff I don't think I'll ever get sick of...and so far it's more than 1700 songs & 5 gb +. And it's difficult to resist the temptation to comb through it instead of listen to...say...the sophomore effort from an artist I might've discovered within the past five years whose first albums knocked me out, but I have to work to digest & absorb the new one. In my case, that would be followup recs from artists like Madeleine Peyroux, Ray LaMontagne, Bebel Gilberto, the Little Killers, Jet, the Electric Six, My Morning Jacket, and several more. I want to like the new stuff as much as I liked the first one I heard, whether or not it was a debut, but sometimes it's tough, especially since only know am I in a position to take advantage of repeat listens...and some of these recs I picked up months ago. Or a year ago. Or two years, or more. And they just sit there. There's only so many hours in the day.

And the easy way out is to just go back to that first rec that sounded so good...and concentrate on what I've heard lately that hits me the same way, whether it's a debut or not...and right now that's Amy Winehouse. What kind of f*ckery is this?

Oh, and some songs can bring up memories of old girlfriends, which can be good or bad, depending, of course. Tomorrow I'll go back to some old school punk, once again; on the weekends, it's more jazz, r&b, & old soul. Today was Marvin Gaye, Etta James, and some stuff from various label R&B comps from the 40s & 50s. Reminds me of what I was up to when I first stumbled upon the stuff, and, so long as I don't listen to it every day, never gets old.

Rae
05-07-2007, 06:28 AM
I recently came across a song that I played quite often probably close to 10 years ago.

So what song was it?

~Rae