Greetings! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Greetings!

mikeguru
05-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Greetings all.
I've just joined the AR Forums, and wanted to just say "hi" to all the audio/video enthusiasts here, be they newbies or experts. I'm not new to audio/video - I've been an "audiophile" for over 30 years. Began with true home theatre in 1991. My current equipment is somewhat "dated" compared to much of the stuff being discussed here, but that's OK. We enjoy it very much. Here's a list of current equipment:

Pioneer VSX-D1S (5.1 Surround/AV Receiver)
Carver TFM-42 (750 Watts RMS Stereo Amp)
Infinity Kappa 9s (Main Speaker Pair)
Infinty Beta C250 (Center Speaker)
Carver TS441s (Rear Speaker Pair)
Sony KP-53HS30 (Rear Proj TV)
JVC DR-MV5S (VHS/DVD-Recorder)
Pioneer DV-343 (DVD Player)
ProScan PSVR87 (Super VHS VCR)
Pioneer CLD-2730K (Laser Disc Player)
Pioneer PDM-910 (6-Disc CD Changer)
Pioneer GR-777 (Programmable Graphic EQ)
Nakamichi CR-1A (Single Cassette Recorder)
Pioneer DT-555 (Timer/System Controller)

In addition, I use an Apple 17" MacBook Pro and Apple's Airport Express to stream audio to the AV receiver from anywhere in the house. We will probably acquire an AppleTV to extend these "live streaming" capabilities to the video side of things soon. The only other thing that we're contemplating adding in the near future is an XM Home Receiver. Since my '06 HHR came equipped with XM, a "Roadie" type unit will probably be best, so the Mrs. can enjoy XM in her car as well. (GRIN)

Finally, we're in the process of building a new home, and a "Whole House Tech Wiring" package is part of the options being built in during construction. This includes 5.1 wiring in the living room, where all of the current HT equipment will be installed.

I welcome comments/suggestions.

Cheers!

PeruvianSkies
05-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Greetings all.
I've just joined the AR Forums, and wanted to just say "hi" to all the audio/video enthusiasts here, be they newbies or experts. I'm not new to audio/video - I've been an "audiophile" for over 30 years. Began with true home theatre in 1991. My current equipment is somewhat "dated" compared to much of the stuff being discussed here, but that's OK. We enjoy it very much. Here's a list of current equipment:

Pioneer VSX-D1S (5.1 Surround/AV Receiver)
Infinty Beta C250 (Center Speaker)
Carver TS441s (Rear Speaker Pair)
Sony KP-53HS30 (Rear Proj TV)
JVC DR-MV5S (VHS/DVD-Recorder)
Pioneer DV-343 (DVD Player)
ProScan PSVR87 (Super VHS VCR)
Pioneer CLD-2730K (Laser Disc Player)
Pioneer PDM-910 (6-Disc CD Changer)
Pioneer GR-777 (Programmable Graphic EQ)
Nakamichi CR-1A (Single Cassette Recorder)
Pioneer DT-555 (Timer/System Controller)

In addition, I use an Apple 17" MacBook Pro and Apple's Airport Express to stream audio to the AV receiver from anywhere in the house. We will probably acquire an AppleTV to extend these "live streaming" capabilities to the video side of things soon. The only other thing that we're contemplating adding in the near future is an XM Home Receiver. Since my '06 HHR came equipped with XM, a "Roadie" type unit will probably be best, so the Mrs. can enjoy XM in her car as well. (GRIN)

Finally, we're in the process of building a new home, and a "Whole House Tech Wiring" package is part of the options being built in during construction. This includes 5.1 wiring in the living room, where all of the current HT equipment will be installed.

I welcome comments/suggestions.

Cheers!

Hello and welcome. Hope you enjoy your time at this site. Your setup/system is a very common one with some very popular equipment and I am sure you will eventually meet others who have or had some of your gear as well. Do you plan on upgrading or adding anything to your system with the new home? I think you could definitely keep much of that gear and just add some new toys to really take yourself to the next level.

Dan..
06-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Does the ProScan PSVR87 (Super VHS VCR) have the Commercial Advance feature? This feature is the ability to mark commercials after recording and then to automatically skip them during playback.

Thanks,
Dan..

qwertt
06-04-2007, 11:21 AM

Mike
I just bought a pair of kappa 9s and am looking for a good amp to drive them i found a carver tfm-42 for 450 and I was woundering if that is what you are driving your kappas with? and how you liked it? By the way I just bought the Itv and I absolutly love it. Definetly worth the money.
thanks for your help
Jon

westcott
06-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Welcome!!

As Peruvian pointe out, much of you equipment will work just fine with a modern home theater system.

Are you going to have a dedicated home theater? Do you have plans for future upgrades and what path that may take?

Will cables be easily upgradeable and what are you going to run for now to meet your present and possible future needs?

As you can tell, I love to spend other peoples money!!!f

I also do not see any reference to cable of satellite boxes. Are you strictly streaming all your current video? Are you putting in an Over The Air antenna for free HD programming?

I could go on and on with all kinds of questions as there seems to be no end to the possible considerations when designing and building a home theater.

Another important point is the fact that power can be a real obstacle, especially when you start including sensitive equipment like subwoofers that require a clean signal and lots of power. I always suggest running separate circuits in a room to avoid ground loops that can really kill a party.

Good Luck and if you need feedback from people who have been there and made their fair share of mistakes, you have come to the right place.

lousygolfer
06-19-2007, 09:34 AM
How do you like the Carver TS441S speakers for your rear surrounds? I'm thinking of picking up a pair for the HT in my new house which is also under construction, possibly two pairs, one for side surrounds, one for rear surrounds. They only are rated down to 90hz, though, so I'm wondering if that impacts their sound. My current side surrounds in a 6.1 setup are a cheap pair of AR 215PS bookshelves I bought off eBay that I figure go down to around 55-60hz, so I'm a bit concerned that the Carvers might sound a bit thin or be otherwise lacking because of the limits of their 4.5" woofer/driver. Any comments on these speakers would be appreciated.