The Darkness - best rock act and best British group and best album? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Darkness - best rock act and best British group and best album?

Davey
02-19-2004, 10:23 AM
You silly Brits!

http://www.brits.co.uk/page?articleId=3042

:)

Mike
02-19-2004, 10:43 AM
You silly Brits!

http://www.brits.co.uk/page?articleId=3042

:)

Yeah I know - but at least we came good with Duran Duran and their outstanding contribution to music award!!

Mike

Jim Clark
02-19-2004, 11:03 AM
Hey, it's on the internet so it must be true. Who'da thunk it?

jc

mad rhetorik
02-19-2004, 01:37 PM
Yeah, The Darkness are <i>GREAT!</i> Especially if you pine for AOR bands like Journey, REO Speedwagon, and Boston to come back into the public consciousness! <b>YAY!</b> I hope there's a lightshow at their next concert!

They're a bunch of assclowns. Even if their shtick is supposed to be ironic (I'm not sure if it is, to be honest), Spinal Tap beat them to it by a good 20 years, and they were actually funny. Nothing like a watered-down parody of a parody of sh-tty pretentious arena rawk. The hype machine sure picked a horrible band this time. Let's hope their 15 minutes will end soon.

Moreover, <i>Duran Duran</i> for "Outstanding Contribution To Music?" I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Awards programs/articles from the mainstream music press (whether from the UK or US) are for the shortbus.

<b>Grrrrr. </b>

3-LockBox
02-20-2004, 09:16 AM
The one video I've seen of them is a real kick. But, I don't think they're trying to revivalists. I think they know that they're a parody, but at least where Spinal Tap was funny (but with dreadful music), these guys can rock, and do have musical talent. I do wonder how a follow-up will sound, since only about two-thirds of their debut was really note worthy. I hope they can take all the hype with a grain of salt and not let it go to their heads. I was surprised at how many of the younger audience seem to eat this stuff up however. Who knows, maybe grunge rock has a chance for a comeback. Or prog for that matter (...nah).