Bridged Krell? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bridged Krell?

quad121
05-06-2007, 11:49 AM
I wonder if anyone has the Krell KAV-500 (or similar). When purchased the previous owner had 4 of the five channels bridged. The two left side channels bridged and the two right channels bridged.

The question is how he had it connected to the speakers. the left pair of channels. the positive (red) speaker wire was connected to the Positive (red) binding post.
The Negative (black) speaker wire connected to the adjoining channels Negative (black) binding post. This is repated for the Right speaker on the other Bridged channels.

When i was looking through the User Manual it says that the negative of the Speaker wire is connected to the Positive Binding post??? of the adjoining channel.

Please could someone verify this

Thankyou,

Regards,

quad

aevans
05-06-2007, 05:23 PM
I'v always seen it positive/positive, but it may differ.. I would go by the user manual, others may have additional knowledge about this particular amp.

aevans
05-07-2007, 01:05 AM
found some more info, positive positive is usually for push pull bridging.
instead of just pushing on the positive, the amp pulls on the negative and pushes on the positive, usually the preamp will have 2 sets of rca's or some specific instructions on preparing the signal for this type of operation, although it may be an internal function of the amp - really it's still up the the user manual to tell you how to properly set it up.

standard bridgeing is just a way to get more power out of reduced ohms - the amp sees two 4 ohm speakers instead of one 8 ohm, the amp has to be set for this as well.

I think bridging offers more power than push pull, but I have not found anything that says that.. push pull should sound better, I know I like it.

quad121
05-07-2007, 06:08 AM
Thankyou very much for all the help you have supplied!

I've connected the Amp up per User Manual and it seems to be better. I don't have to turn the Pre Amp up as far.

Thankyou Again aevans