Mix reviews for Spiderman 3. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mix reviews for Spiderman 3.

Smokey
05-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Although haven’t seen movie, but the reviews seem to be mix in third installation.

Positive points:

It is a SpiderMan movie.

Amazing action sequences. Best special effect of three movies. With budget of $350 bl, that is understandable.

Sandman and Venom are a brilliantly created creatures.

Negative points:

Too many villains and conflicts. Seems to want to cram in as much as possible.

Story and character development are lacking.

Clocking at 140 minutes, it contain too many “soapopera” scenes and dialog, especially in the middle.

Anybody seen it to add to this reveiw?

kexodusc
05-06-2007, 03:41 PM
I just saw it...

I'll say it's no worse, and no better than 1 and 2 (which I liked, but found to be overrated). I actually liked the multi-villain approach, kept things interesting, faster paced than the previous 2, and really built up a climax...

The soap opera aspect was actually less painful than the other 2 movies, I found it had more humor which made it bearable.
Great action sequences, but all in all a predictable Spidey-movie.

They did a great job bringing Venom to the big-screen though. One of the coolest comic book bad guys ever, the only complaint is there wasn't more of him. The kid from That 70's show did a surprisingly good job as Eddie Brock. I was impressed, originally thought that was a terrible casting. I was wrong.

Reminds me of X-Men 3 in that it seemed "rushed", forced 3 movies worth of story into 1 film. Except I liked X3 more. Then again, I liked all the X-Men movies better than Spiderman movies, so I'm biased there.

Nothing new here, if you liked 1 and 2 and want to see some more, go see it. If you want "different", wait for Silver Surfer. What can we expect by movie 3 of a comic book series?

Truth be told, I was happy the character development was kept short - that was my biggest beef with 1 and 2 - you'd have to live under a rock to not know Spidey's back story, and how much "back story" do we really need for a evil alien enemy? Geez, when critics attack character development of comic book villains in a sci-fi/comic movie, their really struggling. That ain't what people are payin' for.

I'll say it's my favorite of the Spidey's only because it has the coolest bad guy and fewer cheese-ball love scenes that make you puke.

s dog
05-06-2007, 05:04 PM
I dont want to start a war or anything like that but i didnot think much of this movie at all. Maybe its because i had my hopes way to high or maybe its because im 50 years old, I was kinda bored though the 1st half of the film and i didnot like the dancing down the street and in the bar, I also felt that the scene with the crane and the girl hanging out the window looked fake, And the black stuff just happens to be crawling around where spiderman and his girl are hanging out is a bit much for me. For as much money they poured in to this film i was expecting a hell of a lot more, Im guessing most people probably liked this movie and i hope they did, But for me it just didnot have it, to be completely honest i dam near fell asleep, I only hope for my sake pirates 3 can save the month of may. PS. theres more tears in this movie than there is at a funeral. Happy movie going everyone.

L.J.
05-07-2007, 05:45 AM
I thought it was alright. Not as good as I hoped for but not bad either. Definately not enough Venom.

S dog, most of your points stood out to me as well, but not enough to ruin things for me. I actually thought the dance parts were pretty funny. The wife and I got a good laugh out of it.

kexodusc
05-07-2007, 06:08 AM
I thought it was alright. Not as good as I hoped for but not bad either. Definately not enough Venom.

S dog, most of your points stood out to me as well, but not enough to ruin things for me. I actually thought the dance parts were pretty funny. The wife and I got a good laugh out of it.
Pretty much sums up my feelings about all 3 of the movies.

I kinda hoped Venom would have had a "Darth Vader" type presence, instead he was only given a supporting role in the film. Oh well.

The bar scene and dancing I though were hilarious...I know a guy who looks and acts just like Tobey Maguire doing that.

Smokey
05-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks for review guys. May be I just wait for DVD to see this movie. I agree though that they should cut down on Spidy's love interest, and bring on more actions.

GMichael
05-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks for review guys. May be I just wait for DVD to see this movie. I agree though that they should cut down on Spidy's love interest, and bring on more actions.

Or at least replace the love with lust. Doesn't it ever rain in the city anymore?:incazzato:

Smokey
05-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Or at least replace the love with lust.

Lets hop ForeverAutomn don't see your post. She will change her mind about calling you gentleman from now on :rolleyes5:

GMichael
05-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Lets hope ForeverAutomn don't see your post. She will change her mind about calling you gentleman from now on :rolleyes5:

I'll have you know that she appreciates my warped sense of humor. I make her laugh. But, I wouldn't call me a gentleman either.

Smokey
05-07-2007, 01:40 PM
GM, I really like your sense of humor also. I always click on your post because of humor. You remind me of another member in the old board call Dickhertz. His posts were also always humorous mix with good information.

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

GMichael
05-07-2007, 01:47 PM
GM, I really like your sense of humor also. I always click on your post because of humor. You remind me of another member in the old board call Dickhertz. His posts were also always humorous mix with good information.

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Nice handle

PeruvianSkies
05-07-2007, 06:06 PM
It sounds like the Spider-man series is taking a similar path that X-Men did, where the first film was ok, laid the groundwork, the second one was far superior, and then the third was ...eh.

I am not fully surprised in the least though because these comic-book-turned-films lose steam quick and become formulaic. I am anxious though to see the WOLVERINE film.

kexodusc
05-08-2007, 03:46 AM
It sounds like the Spider-man series is taking a similar path that X-Men did, where the first film was ok, laid the groundwork, the second one was far superior, and then the third was ...eh.

I am not fully surprised in the least though because these comic-book-turned-films lose steam quick and become formulaic.
I just finished having this discussion with 2 passengers on my plane.
Think that's the nature of the beast with comic/hero movies. The advantage of a comic book hero is you can continue to tell a different story based in the hero's world. The disadvantage is the more you see it, the more it becomes predictable, and there's more obvious limitations to what you can do. Seems everyone in the world gets that except for movie critics, which is why millions keep going back for more.

I dunno if this is like X-Men though, to me Spidey 3 is a much better film than Spidey 1. If this came out at in 2002 and #1 was the 2nd sequel, I'm sure there'd be no debate.
If it's only flaw is it didn't re-invent the wheel it did alright. I thought Spidey 2 was pretty weak, despite having the most interesting bad guy from a character perspective. I did fall asleep watching that one. It just dragged on in parts.

But like X3, this movie suffers from trying to fit too much into 1 film. Story wise, I found X3 to be the most interesting, but the execution ruined it. The same could be said here, except it wasn't as disappointing because movies 1 and 2 weren't as good.

I am anxious though to see the WOLVERINE film.
Really? Magneto was a far more intriguing character for me, if they had to spin-off someone, it should have been him...The only way I'd pay to see Wolverine is if Magneto was the bad guy.

L.J.
05-08-2007, 07:15 AM
Perhaps they should kill off MJ. That should get things movin' a bit.

You know, I think I liked Spidey more when he was wearing the black suit :devil:

PeruvianSkies
05-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Really? Magneto was a far more intriguing character for me, if they had to spin-off someone, it should have been him...The only way I'd pay to see Wolverine is if Magneto was the bad guy.

They are making that film as well, MAGNETO will be released in 2009 and WOLVERINE in 2008. MAGNETO will focus on the early relationship between Xavier and Eric.

bobsticks
05-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Hey P-Sky, is the Wolverine movie going to be based on th eFrank Miller mini-series? I remember that from when I was a wee young'un--very cool.

PeruvianSkies
05-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Hey P-Sky, is the Wolverine movie going to be based on th eFrank Miller mini-series? I remember that from when I was a wee young'un--very cool.

Doubtful. At this point Hugh Jackman is on board as is Brian Cox. Ken Watanabe is rumoured to be the Silver Samurai. From what I understand the film will be based primarily on the revenge aspect of Wolverine on Victor Creed and how he ended up in the Mutant Weapon X program. I have not heard how much of this is dedicated to that portion yet, but that is all in development right now...they have not begun preliminary shooting.

Another cool thing is that my friends brother (a movie producer) is officially one of the producers for Terminator 4, which that deal just broke this past week and it's looking very good!

kexodusc
05-12-2007, 03:56 AM
Another cool thing is that my friends brother (a movie producer) is officially one of the producers for Terminator 4, which that deal just broke this past week and it's looking very good!
Hey that's cool, ask for a stand-in/extra role as "soldier 342" and be the one who gets killed.
I think I'm the only one in the world who really, really liked T3!

PeruvianSkies
05-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Hey that's cool, ask for a stand-in/extra role as "soldier 342" and be the one who gets killed.
I think I'm the only one in the world who really, really liked T3!

Actually I really really liked T3 as well, and maybe we are the only two people. Anyway, my friends brother is actually a financial backer on T4 and he was on the team that was buying the rights, which I am still trying to hear back if this film will be released through Sony or independantly. MGM bought the rights to Carolco years ago and then MGM was bought by Sony and it's just a big mess...this purchase has been in the making for months.

AmpItUP
05-24-2007, 05:46 PM
I was impressed with Venom, and I liked how it was played. But yeah, it has too much melodrama that I felt heavy just watching it.