Player for PAL/European DVDs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Player for PAL/European DVDs

Terry D
05-06-2007, 02:31 AM
Hi folks, I'm a newbie here trying to find out some useful info before I emigrate from England to Canada. I have quite a collection of European Region 2/PAL format DVDs. Whilst it is quite easy to but PAL/NTSC players over here in the UK as some of us buy discs direct from the US, the same does not appear to be the case across your side of the pond. Hence I need help sourcing a decent DVD player (or recoder) that will play both PAL and NTSC discs.

I was hoping to buy a DENON DVD 1930 and the UK version is suitable apart from the voltage supply problem (240V 50Hz/110V 60Hz). The Canadian 1930CI has no PAL capability unlike the UK's 1930. On checking with Denon.ca, I would have to spend the extra and go for the DVD-2930CI and DVD-3930CI. Similarly, Panasonic over there say they don't have a player in their range that can play PAL discs. At the moment I'm thinking of getting the UK version and running it off a mains trasformer, but any pointers to a good reasonably priced player would be very much appreciated.

PeruvianSkies
05-06-2007, 04:25 AM
Hi folks, I'm a newbie here trying to find out some useful info before I emigrate from England to Canada. I have quite a collection of European Region 2/PAL format DVDs. Whilst it is quite easy to but PAL/NTSC players over here in the UK as some of us buy discs direct from the US, the same does not appear to be the case across your side of the pond. Hence I need help sourcing a decent DVD player (or recoder) that will play both PAL and NTSC discs.

I was hoping to buy a DENON DVD 1930 and the UK version is suitable apart from the voltage supply problem (240V 50Hz/110V 60Hz). The Canadian 1930CI has no PAL capability unlike the UK's 1930. On checking with Denon.ca, I would have to spend the extra and go for the DVD-2930CI and DVD-3930CI. Similarly, Panasonic over there say they don't have a player in their range that can play PAL discs. At the moment I'm thinking of getting the UK version and running it off a mains trasformer, but any pointers to a good reasonably priced player would be very much appreciated.

Check out this site: http://www.regioncodefreedvd.com/

I have ordered a few players from them and all have been really great. The Samsung HD941 is a great unit, also the Pioneer Elite or Denon models. Go with any of the models that can do the best PAL/NTSC conversion.

Luvin Da Blues
05-06-2007, 06:02 AM

Check out the OPPO DV981HD. I just picked one up for $260 Can and so far can't complain on any front and it does both PAL and NTSC as well as SACD and DVD_A.

http://www.oppodigital.com/

Terry D
05-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.