Need Sub help!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need Sub help!!

mdchambe
02-19-2004, 10:22 AM
Hi,

I am in the process of upgrading my sub. I currently have a paradigm ps-1200. My budget is around $1000. This sub will be primarily used for home theater use, although i would guess the split would be around 80%HT/ 20%Music.

The two alternatives I am considering right now are the following:

Option 1

DIY Adire Audio tempest design (monolith). This incorporates a 700w plate amp, the tempest, and 2 15" passive radiators all in a 36*20*26 box. This design will cost me right around $1000 I think once i have completed the enclosure. Size is not really an issue.

http://www.adireaudio.com/diy_audio/subs/monolith.htm

Option 2

This option would be a SVS PCi 25-31 or 20-39 (or pair if necessary). This would cost a little more (if two are bought), but may be worth it. Which of the SVS models would you recommend??

I am not sure of the room size that these will go in. I am finishing graduate school and will soon be moving. Either way, they will someday be used in a dedicated home theater application.

Thanks for your help!!

Bryan
02-19-2004, 12:28 PM
Best bet for right now would be to wait until you know for certain the room size. If it is greater than 3,000 cubic feet you will want a more powerful sub. If it is around 1,500 cubic feet you will need a far less powerful one. That being said I have a 20-39CS and am pleased with it. Another consideration could be the HSU VTF-3 (http://www.hsustore.com/vtf3.html) for $699 shipped (though it will likely ship come late March).

mdchambe
02-19-2004, 12:39 PM
OK then, lets assume that my theater will be between 2000-3000 ft^3

If this was the case, what would everyone recommend.

zapr
02-19-2004, 12:52 PM
........Why upgrade from the ps1200? I would think the paradigm would be quite ample even in a large room.........Zapr.

mdchambe
02-19-2004, 01:02 PM
becuase I have the ability and desire to have something better.

Any input

This Guy
02-19-2004, 01:26 PM
This is what I personally would get.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=300-764&DID=7

Very powerful and you really get your money's worth. If paradigm or someone made this it would cost upwards of a grand. And they're much under your budget, so you could easily buy another one if you want. A poster named "Sealed" wrote a review of this in the Tweaks/DIY forum. But any of those choices you mentioned would be fine, too, except they are ported and I prefer the sound of sealed subs.

-Joey

mdchambe
02-19-2004, 01:31 PM
Just curious, are enclousre that use passive rediators usually considered ported. The monolith design from Adire is not ported, but does use 2 passive radiators.

Thanks

This Guy
02-19-2004, 01:36 PM
they are considered sealed. My bad I forgot that had passives. I never heard a passive radiator sub, but suppose to go as loud and low as ported, but without the port "chuffing" that mnay designs encounter at high SPL. The Monolith should sound real nice. I would always go DIY cause you get more for the money and don't pay the middle man mark up.

-Joey

mdchambe
02-19-2004, 01:38 PM
Thanks for you help.

mdchambe
02-20-2004, 09:40 AM
Come on people, there have to be some more people out there with ideas!

Thanks!

Evan
02-20-2004, 04:35 PM
If you have the desire for something better, why screw around with a $ 1000 budget?
Do you think you will notice an improvment over the PS 1200 in that price range, maybe?
I say let the purse strings loose and go up to the Paradigm Reference Servo-15. :D
Just an idea.....

cam
02-20-2004, 05:14 PM
Paradigm now has a new flagship sub. Sorry I forgot the name. Check out their website. With the new offering I am sure the servo 15 will drop in price. Last time I check it was around $1300 Can. Now that is an upgrade for that money burning a hole in your pocket. Or take a listen to the brand new pw2200 for $1000 Can. I am picking up mine in a week and I can hardly wait. I can not stand my ps 1000 for another day.

This Guy
02-20-2004, 07:51 PM
He doesn't need a servo controlled sub, he mainly listens to ht and doesn't need that kind of sub for HT. Also with the servo system, it makes the sub less efficient, and it already only has a 400 watt amp. This sub was made for precise musical playback (ofcourse it would also be fine for HT, but not great). He needs some boom, One reason I reccomended the Dayton sub kit is cause the amp has a built in parametric equalizer, this lets you tone down, or boost certain frequencies where the sub is too loud or too low in volume, every room will have its on frequencies that are too loud or too low. Also, SVSubwoofers are suppose to be really great HT subs with exceptional music playback. I don't think you could lose either way, Just my opinion

-Joey

cam
02-20-2004, 08:41 PM
If not a servo try the paradigm seismic series sub. Brand new. If that is too much, pw2200 should be all you will need. If that doesn't float your boat, then the pw2100. Or you could forget what I said and go really hi end and get the signature servo 15 that way a upgrade in the future would be unessesary.

zapr
02-21-2004, 01:53 PM
Paradigm now has a new flagship sub. Sorry I forgot the name. Check out their website. With the new offering I am sure the servo 15 will drop in price. Last time I check it was around $1300 Can. Now that is an upgrade for that money burning a hole in your pocket. Or take a listen to the brand new pw2200 for $1000 Can. I am picking up mine in a week and I can hardly wait. I can not stand my ps 1000 for another day.
Cam............I have the ps1000 as well. What don't you like about it? Can you let me know what differences you notice between the 1000 and pw2200? Pros-cons. Thanks........Zapr.

cam
02-21-2004, 02:25 PM
I will review the pw2200 as soon as I break it in. One week or so till I get it and probably two to three weeks after that I will tell all. And yes I will describe the differences between the pw2200 and the ps1000.