Time for my next upgrade [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Time for my next upgrade

elapsed
05-05-2007, 10:49 PM
I've been building a new two-channel system over the past few months. My system now consists of:

Speakers: Fidelity Acoustics RFM-2
Integrated Amp: Krell KAV-400xi
CD Player: Naim CD5i
Network Music Player: Squeezebox 3
Interconnects: QED Qunex 1
Cabling: QED Silver Anniversary XT
Shelving: Quadraspire Q4
TV: Sharp Aquos LC-37D62U

I'm trying to determine my next upgrade. Some ideas I'm toying around with are:

1. REL T-3 subwoofer. I live in a condo, and I'm looking for a small musical subwoofer that won't disturb my neighbours

2. Rega P3 turntable, plus a cartridge and phono stage

3. I can't believe I don't own a DVD Player! Deeply considering an Oppo 981. I'd prefer to purchase an HD Player, but I'll wait until this nonesense sorts itself out.

Any recommendations on these upgrades, or others to consider?

basite
05-06-2007, 12:33 AM
a better interconnect would be a good start too :)
the P3 is different than the other 2 in your upgrade possebilities list, I see that you don't have a TT, but do you have records? Vinyl is worth the effort, but it's getting expenive these days...

then, the sub, if you really think that you need more bass, the sub is the winner, but if you're happy with the amount of bass, don't do it, you're only going to disturb your neighbours...

the dvd player is also a good tought though...

Good luck,
Bert.

Feanor
05-06-2007, 03:51 AM
I've been building a new two-channel system over the past few months. My system now consists of:

Integrated Amp: Krell KAV-400xi
Interconnects: QED Qunex 1
Cabling: QED Silver Anniversary XT
Shelving: Quadraspire Q4

I'm trying to determine my next upgrade. Some ideas I'm toying around with are:

1. REL T-3 subwoofer. I live in a condo, and I'm looking for a small musical subwoofer that won't disturb my neighbours

2. Rega P3 turntable, plus a cartridge and phono stage

3. I can't believe I don't own a DVD Player! Deeply considering an Oppo 981. I'd prefer to purchase an HD Player, but I'll wait until this nonesense sorts itself out.

Any recommendations on these upgrades, or others to consider?

I'd say you have a nice system right now. By all means do for the Oppo or some other DVD player.

The REL might be nice depending on your main speakers, but I don't know the Fidelity Accoustics, so I reserve comment.

Do you really want to get into vinyl? If you have a sizeable LP collection at the moment, fine, otherwise forget the phono stuff. Contrary to the humbug you might hear around here, decently well recorded CDs sound as good as vinyl. (Oh, but then I'm a classical listener: can't speak for the trivial popular stuff).

The QED interconnects and cable are fine. They aren't a priority to replace.

Just my thoughts!! :thumbsup:

jrhymeammo
05-06-2007, 09:47 AM
zzzzzzz........

Contrary to the humbug you might hear around hear

ZAP!!

:(

jrhymeammo
05-06-2007, 10:01 AM
Bill, I think you should replace your DL-110 before you brandish da Fly Zapper 3000XL. DL-110 is definetly not refined, but it serves me well for certain music you probably dont own.

Elapsed,

So your budget is around $2K?

How about a Universal Player for everything except CDs?
Oppo might be just what you need for visual purpose, but it may be a complete junk when you close your eyes.

For the TT thing, I would get a modern deck for around $500 and spend the remainder on a good cart/phono pre + whatever you can dish out for accessories. Vinyl set is not perfect, but when I get it right... boy there's not a single "My Avator" that will keep me away from LPs. Well maybe two.... but probably not.
For the LP you may or may not have.. I dont see the point of Feanor's argument. Sure it's always nice to hear our favorite albums, but I think we like music enough to keep on making purchases. It's a pain in the anus though.

Feanor
05-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Bill, I think you should replace your DL-110 before you brandish da Fly Zapper 3000XL. DL-110 is definetly not refined, but it serves me well for certain music you probably dont own.
For the TT thing, I would get a modern deck for around $500 and spend the remainder on a good cart/phono pre + whatever you can dish out for accessories. Vinyl set is not perfect, but when I get it right... boy there's not a single "My Avator" that will keep me away from LPs. Well maybe two.... but probably not.
For the LP you may or may not have.. I dont see the point of Feanor's argument. Sure it's always nice to hear our favorite albums, but I think we like music enough to keep on making purchases. It's a pain in the anus though.

The bottom line here is if you've got the LP collect, you might as well be able to play: sure, clean vinyl sounds good. But you can buy a wack of CDs for the price of a half decent vinyl playback system; (JRA's $1500 sounds about right). And you'll pay dollar for dollar the same for LPs as CDs in general; (they also sell CDs at garage sales).

Parenthetically, as a classical listener, I'd be out of luck it I had to rely on LPs for my listening. For twenty years CDs have heavily outsold LP in this genre -- and as for new releases on vinyl? moohahahahaha.

aevans
05-06-2007, 06:18 PM
I like vinyl, but I know the limitations of the product.. I would upgrade your digital stuff to make it sound more musical, instead of investing a competeing format. maybe an external dac or something similar, I'm not too familiar with your equipment choices, so you would know better.

A sub would be my number one choice for a recomendation because your missing part of the music right now, if not for your living situation it would be a slam dunk.. one think to think of is that you can always turn the sub off at night for the neighbors, and play it durring the day at reasonable volumes.

bobsticks
05-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Hey Elapsed,

You've obviously been busy putting together a pretty solid system. I don't know if a DAC will provide the most utility for dollars spent. That Naim is a very nice unit (as you well know).

I'm also not familiar with Fidelity Acoustics so only you can be the judge on your bass extension needs. I'm going on the assumption that you put as much effort into your speaker decision as you did the rest of your gear and, under the circumstances, a sub may be overkill.

Was the figure of 2k yet another arbitrary number that J-Murda pulled out of his magical, mystery Jrhymeammo-land? I never saw that mentioned in the thread previously. For 2k I might consider finding a new/old stock Denon 2910 and a sub. You might be able to pick up both on the used market.

Happy hunting and let us know which way you go.

emorphien
05-07-2007, 04:57 PM
How are those REL subs, like the T-3? I'm somewhat familiar with their higher end subs.

Mr Peabody
05-07-2007, 06:47 PM
If you've gone this long with out a DVD player, I have to wonder how much you'd even use it. It's interesting that there is some one out there not caught up in the movie rental routine.

I do like my turntable and it's fun hunting vinyl but if I didn't already have a collection I wouldn't get into it. New audiophile pressings are out there but expensive. Good vinyl isn't that hard to find really. Although, vinyl is not as convenient to play as CD's and I play CD's more. I like to take care of my stuff and I don't always feel like cleaning the record, the stylus and if listening to something for the first time or an album that isn't so great all the way through, you have to get up to skip a track, or suffer through it. Hey, these are real considerations. I have to agree with Feanor on Classical. Classical has more quiet passages than any other music and it's exptremely hard to get quiet from a turntable. Even on good vinyl I still get some surface noise between tracks or on silent passages. I'm using a Rega cart. I've been told others are better at keeping the surface noise down.

Anyway the sub is the only thing I can't really find a good reason for you not to buy.

I do have to admit once I got into home theater, I liked it much more than I thought.

jrhymeammo
05-08-2007, 06:46 PM
Was the figure of 2k yet another arbitrary number that J-Murda pulled out of his magical, mystery Jrhymeammo-land?

Of course, were you suprised? I got whatchu need, man.

Hey Elapsed,

I had no idea REL offered a sub for $600. Now I'm more than curious. If you go with a T3, I would like to hear your opinion. I've been thinking about getting a "subtle" subwoofer. Neutric Speakon dilly looks like something I've been looking for. How would you hook it up? Unbalanced or NS option? Not sure how good the sub would be, but I can't imagine REL selling less than mediocre products.

JRA

listenUPyo
05-09-2007, 05:49 PM
That's a pretty good start! Have fun in searching for the perfect piece.

emorphien
05-09-2007, 06:29 PM
I've been thinking about getting a "subtle" subwoofer.
That's an excellent way of putting it. For a while I had been thinking about test driving the AV123 X-sub after reading so much about it. Maybe I still will, would be interesting.

elapsed
05-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Hi Guys, thanks for all of the advice! I ended up purchasing the REL T3 a couple of nights ago. Very happy with my purchase, this is a very musical subwoofer, great for a small living small like a condo. I haven't had any complaints from the neighbours yet, and have found it blends very well with my speakers. I have just a tiny bit of volume set, just to lightly fill in the bass. The REL only goes down to 30Hz, but I can't really ask for more in a small 8" sub. I auditionned this sub against a B&W PV1 (which is 3x the price), but I think I will eventually trade up to the PV1 which was very, very musical in a small space, and has no vibrations (does not transmit bass energy into the floor, so less change of disturbing my neighbours).

Also, very happy with my Fidelity Acoustics speakers. These are transmission line speakers with a 1st order crossover, using a ring raditator tweeter and Scanspeak midwoofer. They are manufacturered locally here in Vancouver. They do have excellent bass response in some rooms that I've auditionned them, but I've found in my space the bass is lacking unless I really crank my Krell (which ends up with a knock on my door!).

System is slowly coming together, but my next purchases will be an SLR camera and a new espresso machine. Then I can get back to audio. ;)

jrhymeammo
05-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Nice choice.

It's a good sub. I dont think mine has broken in yet, but it is starting to tighten up more and more. Give it more time, elapsed
It looks so much better without a grill on the passive radiator.

I'm not getting lower(30s) extention because I have about 8' of extra space behind my seating position. We just gotta play around a bit. But this sub was exactly what I was looking for.

bobsticks
05-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Congrats to both y'all gents.

Ain't sardine-style living great. I've got the for sale signs up but with the market as it is I don't see getting into something bigger without taking a beating. Until then, ya make do with watcha got.

Is it reasonable to hope that the new camera will be used for some pics of the system?

Cheers

Woochifer
05-20-2007, 01:26 PM
I'm with Feanor (again) ... the DVD player's a no brainer, especially since you already own a LCD HDTV. The Oppo is a good option because it also plays DVD-A and SACD, which largely failed in the market but still have a lot of titles available to discover. Plus, all of those discs have high resolution two-channel tracks, many of which noticeably improve upon the CD versions. A universal DVD player like the Oppo adds a great amount of flexibility to your system, especially with so many music DVDs now available (and many of them using PCM audio with higher resolution than CDs).

The sub could be a nice addition if you're willing to take the time to properly set it up and work with the room acoustics using a parametric EQ and/or acoustical treatments. The utility of a subwoofer, especially in a two-channel setup like yours, depends greatly on the setup and room integration. Done properly, a sub can add a lot of musical enjoyment by extending the range, and improving the midrange coherency by relieving the mid/woofers from having to reproduce the lows. But, having a sub in an apartment can be a major pain because of how unpredictably low frequencies travel through to adjacent units. (i.e., your neighbor could hear bass that's louder and boomier than what you hear in your room)

I love my vinyl and still have a turntable hooked up to my main system, but if you don't already have an LP collection, I generally don't recommend buying a turntable. It basically boils down to cost -- with turntables and cartridges, there's much greater variation in performance than you'll ever see between CD players, and the entry price for minimally acceptable performance is much higher than you get with digital formats. Cheap turntables have a huge downside especially if they get fitted with inadequate cartridges (cartridges are often very overlooked, but they can easily make or break your vinyl playback, as low end cartridges can sound horrible). And you got a learning curve with setting up the turntable and fitting the cartridge.

And there's the the vinyl itself. New LPs are now a low volume limited edition specialty product that cost much more than new CDs. Even though the pressing quality is generally good, title selection is limited, and only a handful of stores in a given metro area will stock new vinyl. Then you got used LPs. While one can often find a good selection of vinyl at a reasonable cost, used LPs can vary a lot in their condition and pressing quality. Even different copies of the same album can vary significantly.

Exploring vinyl can be rewarding, but be aware that getting the most out of it will require a significant investment in both time and money if you're not already into the format.

Mr Peabody
05-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Transmission lines done correctly are very effective. Have you played with speaker placement? Another thing to keep in mind is Krell amps have an iron grip control on bass response, you'll get accurate fast bass, hard hitting, but no matter what you do you won't get rumble or flabby bass. The only way to get that would be through inflated settings of a sub. I could take Rap or Dance discs that would make car subs boom and drop them into my Krell system and the bass was there but it was so tight and controlled that the sound was quite different. As good as Krell is people who like that type of boomy bass will not like Krell. Krell plays extremely deep though with the right speakers. Put in something like the first track on Paula Cole and when that low frequency comes in it is amazing.

elapsed
05-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Is it reasonable to hope that the new camera will be used for some pics of the system?
I haven't gotten the new SLR yet, but here are some pics I took tonight :)

http://members.shaw.ca/missrani/hifi/Hifi%20System%20001.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/missrani/hifi/Hifi%20System%20002.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/missrani/hifi/Hifi%20System%20003.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/missrani/hifi/Hifi%20System%20004.JPG
http://members.shaw.ca/missrani/hifi/Hifi%20System%20005.JPG

elapsed
05-20-2007, 10:38 PM
Nice choice.

It's a good sub. I dont think mine has broken in yet, but it is starting to tighten up more and more. Give it more time, elapsed
It looks so much better without a grill on the passive radiator.

I'm not getting lower(30s) extention because I have about 8' of extra space behind my seating position. We just gotta play around a bit. But this sub was exactly what I was looking for.
Does the grill come off? I'm nervous to give it a strong tug, would be curious to see how this looks..

I'll give the sub time to break in, my dealer gives me a year to decide if I want to upgrade. Thanks for the advice!

radtech13
05-22-2007, 08:57 AM
First, why a DVD player for a two channel system? I am assuming it is for SACD, but I'm not sure. Second, have you ever thought of going with a more full range speaker? Personally, I am not a fan of powered sub-woofers? As for the Rega P3; I'm not sure you could better for the money.

elapsed
05-22-2007, 09:14 AM
First, why a DVD player for a two channel system? I am assuming it is for SACD, but I'm not sure.
This is my only system, it is two channel. Why shouldn't I enjoy DVD's? My system is 90% music, 10% TV, I didn't see the point of budgeting towards a mediocre 5.1 system in a small space when I could have a fantastic two channel system.

Second, have you ever thought of going with a more full range speaker?
I'm quite happy with my speakers.. Again, these were purchased for a small space, I wasn't looking for the bass extension.

Personally, I am not a fan of powered sub-woofers?
Ideally I would purchase a passive sub, but I don't see the point in such a small space with an 8" woofer. I'm not looking to drive the subwoofer hard, I'm just looking to add some warmth to my system and at a very low volume. The 150 watt high current Class AB amp in the REL will do me just fine, and doesn't break the bank.

radtech13
05-22-2007, 09:22 AM
I get it. For me two channels means audio only, never thought of it for movies. So yeah, a DVD player would therefore make sense. Not knowing your price range, but how about the Adcom GDV-870. List price is $599.00. Have a friend who auditioned one recently. He like it quite a bit.

elapsed
07-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Made a huge change today, I traded my Krell KAV-400xi for a Naim NAIT 5i integrated. All I can say is... wow! The synergy with the Naim CD5i is just outstanding. This is exactly the sound I've been looking for. Interestingly enough, I don't feel the need for the REL subwoofer anymore, the Naim produces exactly the bass I was looking for, and far more than the Krell. Who'd have thought?

Also decided to pick up my first turntable. Got an excellent deal on a low millage Rega Planar 3 w/ motor upgrade and Eichmann Bullets, plus a 10x5 Dynavector Cart. But of course I'll also need a phono stage, so I put in an order for a Naim Stageline and FlatCap 2x power supply. Everything is being set up this Friday, can't wait!

dean_martin
07-26-2007, 07:57 AM
elapsed,
those are very good pics (even without the new camera). It looks like you know what you're doing. Which SLR are you considering?

To stay on topic - nice system too. I've been curious about the Naim stuff, but with their connection method it seems "whole system" is the way to go.

basite
07-26-2007, 12:22 PM
congrats, we'll be waiting for pics :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

O'Shag
07-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Elapsed,

Naim Nait 5i - really cool! Your system is very nice. Looks like a great room to kick back in and enjoy the music. If I might suggest an upgrade. You are using the QED Silver Anniversary XT, and that is excellent wire - I know because I graduated from the regular SA to the XT. If you want a real kick in the pants, move up to the Genesis Silver Spiral bi-wire. I just got my 7' pair. Bloody awesome! By the way - you may have been following the MLS soccer, and what about that wonderful new team Toronto FC? I find them so inspiring, and its great to see how the whole city fof Toronto is supporting them. They looked brilliant against Aston Villa (English Premier League side). Mo Johnston has done a great job putting that team together. I love to see Canada get stuck in to the soccer!!

jrhymeammo
07-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Does the grill come off? I'm nervous to give it a strong tug, would be curious to see how this looks..!

I apologize for the late reply.

Yeah, that thing is on there pretty snug. How are you enjoying it? I ended up selling mine on Agon for $400. T-3 was great with my bookshelf speakers, but I no longer have need for it.

Sounds like we are both enjoying our upgrades.Be sure to let us know about your phono stage. Do you plan to power it with your integrated amp?

:thumbsup:

elapsed
07-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Naim Nait 5i - really cool! Your system is very nice. Looks like a great room to kick back in and enjoy the music. If I might suggest an upgrade. You are using the QED Silver Anniversary XT, and that is excellent wire - I know because I graduated from the regular SA to the XT. If you want a real kick in the pants, move up to the Genesis Silver Spiral bi-wire. I just got my 7' pair. Bloody awesome!
Agreed, the QED Silver Anniversary XT is excellent wire! But I'm trading for Naim NACA5 cabling on Saturday, and already traded one of my QED Qunex 1 interconnects for a Naim SNAIC interconnect (which is a DIN as opposed to an RCA cable). As Naim is typically build as a system, I may as well go for full system synergy. I'll let you know how the cables compare!

elapsed
07-26-2007, 05:40 PM
I apologize for the late reply.

Yeah, that thing is on there pretty snug. How are you enjoying it? I ended up selling mine on Agon for $400. T-3 was great with my bookshelf speakers, but I no longer have need for it.

Sounds like we are both enjoying our upgrades.Be sure to let us know about your phono stage. Do you plan to power it with your integrated amp?

:thumbsup:
Agreed, really enjoyed the REL T3. Interestingly enough, my dealer wants to drop by and connect the REL directly to the woofer on the other side of the coil in my speakers, in order to get the subwoofer in phase with my speakers. Still debating if I want to go this route, I'd be a bit nervous to perform this upgrade without first hearing the results. In any case, I'm likely to go back to a 2.0 system.

But I am doing one upgrade on my speakers, my dealer has ordered me a bigger coil, different capacitor, and different damping. I heard the upgraded speakers on Tuesday, absolutely love the sound! Only $100 for the upgrade, I can't go wrong. :)

jrhymeammo
07-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Only $100 for the upgrade, I can't go wrong. :)

Seriously. I can't remember the last time I upgraded my speakers for that amount.

I need to get in on this magic capacitors can offer. I should get my HCA-2 modified and see what it can do. Maybe I should change the cross over on my Maggies.

I think you'll be happier going back to 2.0. I got sick of messing with it. Next thing I knew, I wasnt enjoyiong music. Just playing music to toy with my sub....

Let me guess....Incognito?

JRA

elapsed
07-26-2007, 06:50 PM
I think you'll be happier going back to 2.0. I got sick of messing with it. Next thing I knew, I wasnt enjoyiong music. Just playing music to toy with my sub....
Exactly, I spend all of my time adjusting the subwoofer and worrying about the bass level so that I don't bug my neighbours!

One of the things that really appeals to me about the Naim systems is that I can sit back and just enjoy the music, without worrying about cabling, upgrades, specs, and all that silly nonesense. I love the sound, I've finally found a system I can just enjoy for the music, without getting caught up in analyzing every aspect of the components.

jrhymeammo
07-26-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm certain that you'll have a great synergy between your components.
Let us know how you like the analog setup once you get it spinning. Now, that is worth fiddling around.

Peace

Bernd
07-27-2007, 05:47 AM
...like the present or so it seems.
Congrats on the new amp. As you have found out Naim gear works best with one another. Much better within a Naim system then outside of it. If you like the Naim sound-great. Enjoy. But I would stay well clear of Naim Speakers. Never heard a decent one yet.And your speakers look good.
As for Vinyl, yes it can get expensive, but the musical rewards are great. Again I have not heard a CDP that plays music like my TT. Try and listen to a couple of Phono amps before settling on the Naim. You might like to try a Valve Phono as an all Naim system can sound a bit cold and lacking in musicality. Great PRAT though. But only you will know what sort of sound you like.
I reckon you have bought well with the Rega and the Dyna. Those two items really gel and work great together. On top of that the Rega TT and arm can be tweaked a lot to get much more out of it.
Looking forward to hearing how you get on and seeing some more of your excellent photos.
Enjoy and have a great weekend.

Peace

:16:

Mr Peabody
07-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Way to go! It's nice when you get your system the way you want to hear it. A lot can be said for synergy.

Be sure to comment on your turntable some day, I've been thinking of trying that particular cart next on my P3.

elapsed
09-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Finally received my new Naim Stageline and Flatcap power supply. I'm in audio heaven! System now consists of:

Integrated Amp: Naim Nait 5i
Turntable: Rega Planar 3 w/ motor upgrade
Phono Cartridge: Dynavector 10x5
Phono Plugs: Eichmann Bullets
Phono Stage: Naim Stageline w/ FlatCap 2x
LP Brush: Goldring Super Exstatic
Interconnects: Naim SNAIC, QED Qunex 1
Speaker Cabling: Naim NACA5
Shelving: Quadraspire Q4 maple
Remote: Logitech Harmony 880
Surge Protector: Belkin SurgeMaster HD

Also picked up the new M.I.A., fantastic album, highly recommend :)

http://members.shaw.ca/missrani/hifi/IMG_4447.JPG

Mr Peabody
09-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Good deal, glad to hear you got your system the way you want. I'm thinking of trying that Dynavector for my next cartridge. Have you ever compared it to a Rega cart?

elapsed
09-16-2007, 05:49 PM
The Dynavector 10x5 is my first cart, I bought it based on countless recommendations on the Naim forum. I purchased both the Planar 3 and Dynavector cart used from a Cyrus dealer here in Vancouver who was previously a serious Naim gearhead but jumped ship. Unfortunately didn't have the opportunity to audition any other carts, though my Naim dealer was recommending an Elys cartridge.

Mr Peabody
09-16-2007, 07:32 PM
I have to laugh, the Elys is my first cartridge on my P3. I guess if either of us change or get a chance to compare we'll have to share notes.

elapsed
09-29-2007, 07:03 PM
I took a big leap of faith this afternoon, traded up my Naim CD5i for a CD5x, which is powered by my Naim FlatCap-2x power supply. Biggest purchase I've ever made, aside from my condo and car. I'm absolutely astounded at the difference a source can make, I'm beginning to understand the whole Naim "Source First" approach. All I can say is... wow, wow, WOW.

PS - also demo'd a Naim CDS3 over the weekend with a Naim XPS2 power supply. Essentially a $17,000 CD Player, connected to Naim Nait5i integrated ($1,500). Absolutely unreal experience. But the level of insanity over the price of this CDP is mind boggling. I guess you could argue the CD5x is also insane.

jrhymeammo
09-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Congrats on your upgrade!!

Man, it's about time I upgraded something. But I had to replace a pair of tires today..

How does CD5x differ from CD5i?

elapsed
09-29-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm no audiophile, just a music lover, so it's hard for me to describe how it sounds, it's more of a feeling. Everything sounds just right. Detail is enhanced without distracting from the music, the player adds tons of warmth, my entire living room now becomes a stage. Listening to music through this CD Player is an experience in itself.

Before demo'ing the CD5i vs CD5x with FlatCap I didn't believe one CD Player could be dramatically better than another, I was more inclined to first upgrade the pre and power. The CD5x has changed my opinion altogether on what Redbook CD is capable of, I highly recommend this CD Player.

Mr Peabody
09-29-2007, 08:57 PM
Congrads on the new addition. I'm also glad to have at least one person here besides myself who understands the importance of the source. Most here are from the school speaker is the most important link and fail to understand that changing speakers just let you hear the same bad signal a different way, you have to upgrade your source to gain any real improvement in sound quality or quality content. $17k into a Nait would be a little extreme but what your doing with the 5x is cool.

About ten years ago I had a CD player go out and I was shopping to replace it. I had already stumbled into this high end shop and had my eyes opened to where hi fi can go. So I went back when I needed a player. I started looking at an Arcam Alpha 6 but the guy kept dropping my disc in an 8, then a 9, each time I was amazed at the difference I heard. I ended up ordering a 9. So even when I eventually upgraded.my amp or whatever, I've always had a high end CD player on the front end. I went from the Alpha 9 to a Krell 250, then a 280cd and now I'm using a separate transport to an Audio Note DAC.

Back in the 80's I worked for a retail/distributor, one day I walked into the service shop where they had a pair of inexpensive Kenwood speakers they used for the test bench all the time, I was talking and all the sudden sound came through the speakers that sounded so good I couldn't believe it. I asked what they were doing, they had a beautiful McIntosh tube amp hooked to them. That was my first taste of true high end gear. I never forgot though how good that entry level pair of speakers sounded with good gear. I feel you need a reasonable balance in all your components capability but if I'm going to be off balance anywhere, the source will have the emphasis.

elapsed
05-02-2008, 10:28 PM
The upgrade bug has hit again.. I've traded in my integrated amp towards separates! My Nait 5i has been now been retired in favour of a brand new NAC-122x preamp and NAP-150x poweramp. My last upgrade for the year, I now have a fully balanced system. Still warming up, but she sounds absolutely fantastic.

Pictures soon to come, I'm still waiting for my Chord Crimson RCA to DIN-5 interconnects to arrive from the UK in order to connect my Squeezebox, plus I need another Naim SNAIC5 in order to power my phono stage. This system uses unconventional DIN connectors, no RCA inputs like on my old amp.

On another topic altogether, learned an expensive lesson back in January while dusting my turntable, hoping to have my Dynavector 10x5 replaced this month... I'm dying to get my turntable back in operation :)

elapsed
05-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Speaking of unconventional cabling, you need a rocket scientist to connect a Naim system hehe

CD5x -> DIN5-DIN5 -> 122x
CD5x -> SNAIC5 -> FC2x (the FlatCap2x offers a huge analogue power supply upgrade)
122x -> SNAIC5 -> FC2x (the pre-amp is passive, so it is powered by the FlatCap2x)
FC2x -> SNAIC4 -> 150x (we only need 4 pins now on the SNAIC, as there's no need to supply power)
Stageline -> SNAIC5 -> 122x (the SNAIC5 cable carries both audio and power, and is powered off the pre-amp)
Squeezebox -> RCA to DIN5 -> 122x
PVR -> RCA to DIN5 -> 122x

Thankfully Naim includes all of the interconnects with the components, so there was only one SNAIC5 cable that I needed to purchase for this system.

Feanor
05-03-2008, 01:49 AM
Speaking of unconventional cabling, you need a rocket scientist to connect a Naim system hehe

CD5x -> DIN5-DIN5 -> 122x
CD5x -> SNAIC5 -> FC2x (the FlatCap2x offers a huge analogue power supply upgrade)
122x -> SNAIC5 -> FC2x (the pre-amp is passive, so it is powered by the FlatCap2x)
FC2x -> SNAIC4 -> 150x (we only need 4 pins now on the SNAIC, as there's no need to supply power)
Stageline -> SNAIC5 -> 122x (the SNAIC5 cable carries both audio and power, and is powered off the pre-amp)
Squeezebox -> RCA to DIN5 -> 122x
PVR -> RCA to DIN5 -> 122x

Thankfully Naim includes all of the interconnects with the components, so there was only one SNAIC5 cable that I needed to purchase for this system.

And eviable, elapsed, given Naim's stellar reputation; (unfortunately I've never heard a complete Naim system). Of course Naim has always been eccentric with cabling.

Black & green kind of reminds me of Batman, but regardless, I really like the Naim styling.

I'm not completely clear, though: does one FlatCap2 do it for everything?

elapsed
05-03-2008, 08:52 AM
I'm not completely clear, though: does one FlatCap2 do it for everything?
The FlatCap is capable of powering two devices. Previously I had her powering the CD5x and Stageline phono stage, but now I have her powering the CD5x and 122 preamp. The 122 can be powered by either an external power supply or off the poweramp, the obvious choice being a power supply. Currently I have the Stageline powered via the preamp, which is a slight performance loss for my phono from my previous setup.

If I were ever to upgrade the preamp to a 202 I open myself to a world of new options.. The 202 is capable of having two power supples - a NAPSC to power the digital, and either the FlatCap or a Hi-Cap to power the analogue. My plans are to build up to a 202 with Hi-Cap next year, and to keep the FlatCap for the CD5x and Stageline.

If you have an opportunity, audition an LP12 and CDX2 with a Hi-Cap/282/250 system, absolutely astonishing what Naim is capable of once you enter into the 200 Series systems.

Mr Peabody
05-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Very nice system E, glad for you.

elapsed
06-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Just received my new Quadraspire Q4 rack last night! I've been waiting a couple of months for this order, in the meantime I was stacking all of my components on my old rack.. found a wonderful sonic difference with all of the components on separate shelves!

http://members.shaw.ca/missrani/hifi/Hifi%20Upgrade%20007.JPG

http://members.shaw.ca/missrani/hifi/Hifi%20Upgrade%20008.JPG

Cheers,
elapsed

bobsticks
06-22-2008, 12:30 PM
What a cool system for a small area. I've followed this thread since it's inception and I respect the way you've upgraded over time, each move to a predesigned purpose. I bet it sounds fantastic...and it ain't hard on the eyes either.

elapsed
06-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Bobsticks, thanks for the kind words, yes it sounds fantastic! But wait until you see the cabling nightmare behind it ;)

http://members.shaw.ca/missrani/hifi/Connections%20001.JPG

http://members.shaw.ca/missrani/hifi/Connections%20002.JPG

Ignore the purple QED interconnect, I'm still waiting on an order for new Chord Crimson DIN-5 to RCA interconnects for my Squeezebox and PVR

Cheers,
elapsed

basite
06-23-2008, 07:11 AM
Very nice rack!!

I have quadraspire feet under my cdplayer, works fantastic too...

I'm still looking for a decent rack myself...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.