too sub or not too sub [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : too sub or not too sub

aevans
05-05-2007, 05:21 AM
I only do stereo, meaning two speakers.. no suround sound stuff.

anyway to the situation:

I've got a very good setup now, 2 full range speakers, but the boxes on them are a little worn out.. I did a driver replacement about 10 years ago with madisound stuff. The only problem is they roll off around 48hz, they are sealed, so it's a slow roll, but it's a roll.

The 3 options are:

1. build new cabnets that are ported.. I hate sloppy bass, so I'm not sure how this would work, and it would only get me to about 35hz, so a ton of work for 13hz improvement, and the chance of sloppy bass.

2. build a sub using some woofers I've got laying around.. they are the same as the one's in the mains, swan 305's. the only way to get them real low is with a bandpass box, which puts them "crossing over" the mains at 48hz and extending down to 24hz.. I've never really heard a good bandpass box, most of it sound like ****, I don't know if this is a product of the design, or of the materials used. one thing I like is the limited fq range, as I'm not a fan of sub/sat sounds above 80hz.

3. bass shakers in the listening chair.. I'm really unsure about this as I've never messed with them.. I'm not really into feeling bass, but I imagine thats about all I can honestly do below say 30hz.

note: I'm not looking to spend more than a hundred bucks or so on this little adventure, so equipment recommendations need not apply.

basite
05-05-2007, 07:32 AM
if you want to go really low, you're not going to get there with the swans...
they're still woofers, not subwoofers...

when you're going to build a sub, and you want it decent, you should at least get a real subwoofer like this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-185&ctab=1#Tabs

if you can, you could get 2 of them, so you have 2 real subs, on for the left, one for the right...

it should blow you away, and would outperform the swans, and the bassshakers...

Good luck,
Bert.

aevans
05-05-2007, 01:04 PM
I guess the real question is - does a band pass box by nature sound like ass, or is it just a product of the musical taste and goals of the people usually associated with them.

I can get down to 24hz with the swans and the output levels matches the mains, so I don't see the need for anything more than that.

DEVO
05-05-2007, 04:28 PM
If the Swans can get to 24hz, build a sealed box and get a good stereo amp for each, bi-amp them and they should rock!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Rock789
05-05-2007, 04:30 PM
a properly designed bandpass box will reproduce the frequencies it is designed to reproduce very nicely...
they usually sound like ass when attempting to play frequencies outside of it's design (that is, frequencies too high or too low)

aevans
05-06-2007, 06:25 PM
thanks for the heads up, you really made my day.

I'll put a big coil in the path for a low pass, and I don't expect anything below 18hz to happen. I'll let you know when I get done building the box.