Compiling a shortlist to audition..... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Compiling a shortlist to audition.....

markl1712
05-05-2007, 05:03 AM
Ok, I am compiling a short list of floor standing speakers at around the £1000 ($2000) price point to go with:

Cyrus CD8x + PSX-R
Cyrus 8vs + PSX-R
Cyrus Smartpower+

I listen to Rock, blues, folk, classical - pretty varied - in a medium sized (for London!) room (23'x17') so I want a good allrounder.

Suggestions please.

:)

compaqguy
05-09-2007, 07:41 AM
I myself like the sound of the MartinLogan Montage. It is $1400 in the US, and likely will be slightly higher where you are. The sound is enveloping and smooth. However, it has the "planar" sound...IE: small, but wonderful sweet spot.

I would also throw in the Onix Strata Mini, available at av123.com

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=78.1

Rock789
05-09-2007, 07:39 PM
paradigm studio series (imo rev 3 sounds a bit better than rev 4), focal jm lab Chorus 800 V series, focal jm lab profile series,
If you are looking for used, focal jm lab electra S series or cobalt S series

spf
05-10-2007, 03:06 AM
A second vote for the v3 of the Paradigm Studio series. A pair of Studio 60s would be very nice for your setup. If you want a huge sweetspot, you can also look at multidirectional (bipolar or dipolar, omnipolar, etc.) speakers from companies like Definitive Technology, Mirage, Martin-Logan and Quad. Cheers!

Shane

compaqguy
05-10-2007, 03:33 AM
If you want a huge sweetspot, you can also look at multidirectional (bipolar or dipolar, omnipolar, etc.) speakers from companies like Definitive Technology, Mirage, Martin-Logan and Quad. Cheers!
Shane

Since when does an electrostatic (MartinLogan) speaker have a huge sweetspot? I used to own a pair, and know several people that own them. The sweetspot isn't BAD, but it is FAR from huge... now the soundstage on the other hand... THAT is huge :-P

drseid
05-11-2007, 01:28 AM
Ok, I am compiling a short list of floor standing speakers at around the £1000 ($2000) price point to go with:

Cyrus CD8x + PSX-R
Cyrus 8vs + PSX-R
Cyrus Smartpower+

I listen to Rock, blues, folk, classical - pretty varied - in a medium sized (for London!) room (23'x17') so I want a good allrounder.

Suggestions please.

:)

You might want to consider looking into a used pair of Legacy Audio Signature IIIs. These may be hard to come by in the UK, however (as they are US based), but $2000 used is around the going rate if you can. These are excellent all-arounders that should fit your needs nicely.

A possibility new would be some Consonance Eric-3s... I think they might be a bit smallish for your room size and may not get as low as you would like for Rock. Still at about $1800/pr. new they are quite the bargain, and one of the few floorstanders I can recommend in your price range (new).

Good luck,

---Dave

nightflier
05-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Definitely add the Magnepan 1.6's to your list. I've heard them at other people's houses and must say, there is not much else out there at $1700US that comes close. If you're more into boxes, you should give Quad a listen. I have a pair of the 22L's and they are excellent performers (and they will save you a bit of money, too).

One the other hand, I don't think the Definitive Technology are your best choice for 2-channel stereo. Definitely movie-oriented speakers.