Aging Lush Fans [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Aging Lush Fans

PeruvianSkies
05-04-2007, 08:29 PM
It's hard to believe that the band LUSH has been around now for 15 years, but unfortunately have not been able to reground after the death of Acland. I must say this band was solid in all 3 of their studio albums and it's a shame that nothing has come since in over 10 years. I am just an aging Lush fan, waiting for, perhaps, another regrouping...I'll mark that down right next to my Nirvana reunion tour with The Smashing Pumpkins.

Rich-n-Texas
05-05-2007, 07:09 AM
I'm not an aging Lush!!! :incazzato:

(According to my psycho-analyst)

Monkey Bones
05-05-2007, 07:40 AM
I am just an aging Lush fan, waiting for, perhaps, another regrouping...
The new Blonde Redhead record that I've gushing about kind of fills that void for me. Very much in that same vein. Called "23" and on that same 4AD label. Kind of like a mix of Lush and Radiohead, in some ways, which might lead to Coldplay if not careful, but these 2 Italian twins and 1 Japanese girl keep tend not to mix the influences together so much that they become just a generic blend .... Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons is still my favorite, but "23" has led to some of the nicest listening pleasure I've had lately. Very nice record, and only paid $7.99 too.

From the gushing fan pages at myspace ... Blonde Redhead's noisy, dissonant guitars, alternate tunings, and quiet, stilted lyrics have often been compared to early Sonic Youth. After randomly meeting at an Italian restaurant in New York, Japanese art students Kazu Makino and Maki Takahashi and Italian twin brothers Simone and Amedeo Pace formed the band in 1993. The name was taken from a song by the '80s no-wave band DNA. With Makino and Amedeo on guitars and vocals, Simone on drums, and Takahashi on bass, the band's chaotic, artistic rock caught the attention of Sonic Youth drummer Steve Shelley, who produced and released the band's debut album, Blonde Redhead, on his Smells Like Records label. Shortly after the album's release, Takahashi left the band. The remaining members continued as a trio, releasing a second album in 1995 on Shelley's label, titled La Mia Vita Violenta. For their 1997 release Fake Can Be Just as Good, recorded on Touch and Go, the trio was joined by guest bass player Vern from Unwound. By 1998, the band eliminated bass and scaled back to guitars, drums, and vocals for In an Expression of the Inexpressible. Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons and the Melodie Citronique EP followed two years later. The band's first for 4AD, Misery Is a Butterfly, was released in spring 2004.

PeruvianSkies
05-05-2007, 08:06 AM
Here is a webpage on the "Rushing Man" by Carol Brunz.

http://www.columbuslibrary.org/cmlarts/imagedisplay.cfm?workid=4954&hits=62&startrow=%20&searchlist=B&searchindex=N&searchtype=B&original_type=NB

Check it out.

SlumpBuster
05-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Damn Peru, I think we have alot more in common than I previously thought. :D Lush would be in my top 10 favorite bands of all time all genres.

I didn't think there were any other Lush fans on such a Prog and Indie heavy board. Emma Anderson is one of my all time favorite guitar players. She was a unique sight to behold live. At the risk of sounding sexist, she had a balls out style while still remaining femine and sexy. Her guitar was just so crunchy, loud and authoritative with such a great tone.

I'll never forget their show in support of Lovelife. I went with my new girlfriend at the time (now my wife) who was the first music geek I ever dated. I had to lay this Lush sound on her, so we went to the show. The lights went down and the band snuck out in the pitch black darkness to their places with the prerecorded opening of Light from a Dead Star playing. I still remember looking at my wife as King hit that opening bass chord, she just started smiling from ear to ear. When Emma came in with the harmony vocal, my wife turned to me and said "God d@mn!" I still use Light form a Dead Star to audition any new equipment.

A small part of the great tragedy of Acland's death was that the band was really just starting to escape from their "shoegazer" heritage and branching out with some very eclectic and daring song writing. A song like "The Childcatcher" off Lovelife both musically and lyrically demonstrate an increasing maturity and literary sensibility. I will never tire of that song.

Acland actually wrote my favorite Lush song "Piledriver." It was a b-side to the "500" single from Lovelife. Acland sings it although the vocal is heavily distorted and difficult to understand. Much, if not all, of the lyrical content foreshadowed his suicide, although I've never seen a definitive version of what the lyrics actually are.

I was also floored to hear Avril Levigne rip off the Lush b-side "I Wanna be Your Girlfriend" which was released on the Topolino compilation, for her single new "Girlfriend."
Lush in 1996: "Hey, hey, you, you, I wanna be your girlfriend."
Avril in 2007: "Hey, hey, you, you, I don't like your girlfriend."
Sombody's gonna get sued. Although the songs are significantly different, that hook is straight up stolen, with the theft (I think) being by cowriter Dr. Luke rather than Avril. (But, I actually think Avril's new album is phenomenal, and I love Dr. Luke's work.)

Finally, not to nitpick, but its closer to twenty years, not fifteen. Lush formed in 88, with the first EPs in 89. The early EPs were re-released by 4AD as the Gala compilation in 90. But the 15 years you sight is correct in that the first LP, Spooky was released in 92. I'll stop showing off now. :P

PeruvianSkies
05-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Finally, not to nitpick, but its closer to twenty years, not fifteen. Lush formed in 88, with the first EPs in 89. The early EPs were re-released by 4AD as the Gala compilation in 90. But the 15 years you sight is correct in that the first LP, Spooky was released in 92. I'll stop showing off now. :P

I had originally wrote in nearly 20 years, but I thought someone would try correcting me saying ...well, their first CD came out in 1992, although I remember hearing 'of' them around 1989. Thanks for the correction/clarification although I was aware I should have just stuck with my initial impulse.

-Jar-
05-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Lush definately contributed to the history of shoegazer music in a major way, "Sunbathing" being one of the genre's finest moments.

I saw them at Lolla 2. First band of the day.

Another great female-vocaled dream rock band that left us 3 studio albums were the Darling Buds. Any fan of Lush should enjoy their 3rd gazer-touched release called "Erotica".. in a cut-out bin near you!

-jar