Home theater setup on a budget [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home theater setup on a budget

srtibb
05-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to the board. I have a Samsung 50 inch Plasma mounted above my fireplace. The equipment I need to be hooked up the TV is cable box (for High Definition)XBOX 360, Sony DVD, and a Surround sound with 5 speakers. I would like to house these equipment in a TV cabinet in the adjacent room.

My question is - what is the best equipment/wiring do I need to accomplish this? And how much will it cost (estimate)? Not very knowlegeable about this kind of stuff, and someone is coming to my house on Monday to give me a quote, I want to make sure, they do not tell me I need certain equipment I can do without.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

thekid
05-05-2007, 07:28 AM
srtibb

Welcome to this site. You will certainly find a lot of information here by some very knowledgeable people. Unfortunately I am not one of them ..... :)

I do not have any personal experience regarding your question,but can offer a little advice.
The equipment you describe is pretty basic and honestly I think a thorough read of your owner's manuals and a little research on this site would provide you the information you need to set this equipment up yourself. I am by no means a audio/technophile but I was able to set up my 3 systems with relative ease.

However, since you may have already decided to go with a installer I would recommend that you decide on how/what kind of set-up you want. In your question you do not mention what type of speakers you have. Depending on whether the speakers are floor-standers, bookshelf or in wall will probably all impact installation costs. Room dimension and speaker set up/location will also impact cost so perhaps if you supply more details some of the experts here can help you out.

Sound and Vision magazine and other publications routinely profile some in home HT set-ups and while they are on the high-end usually, it might give you some ideas for how you would like your set-up to run. They usually list prices in these articles so it might help you.

Good luck

PeruvianSkies
05-05-2007, 08:08 AM
Hi everyone, I am new to the board. I have a Samsung 50 inch Plasma mounted above my fireplace. The equipment I need to be hooked up the TV is cable box (for High Definition)XBOX 360, Sony DVD, and a Surround sound with 5 speakers. I would like to house these equipment in a TV cabinet in the adjacent room.

My question is - what is the best equipment/wiring do I need to accomplish this? And how much will it cost (estimate)? Not very knowlegeable about this kind of stuff, and someone is coming to my house on Monday to give me a quote, I want to make sure, they do not tell me I need certain equipment I can do without.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

What IS your budget first...then we can help furthermore.