Yamaha receiver - "enhanced mode?" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha receiver - "enhanced mode?"

Shake The Rug
05-04-2007, 02:00 PM
What is the "enhanced" mode used for on Yamaha receivers? I notice that the "cinema dsp" icon pops up when enhanced mode is selected. I'm not quite sure what that is either. Do things sound better in enhanced mode? Better for movies? Concerts? Any info would be appreciated!

Shake The Rug

nightflier
05-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Shake,

I don't have a Yamaha receiver, but it's probably a computer-chip generated mode (the Yamaha's have lost of them). Take some time to listen to it with one of your favorite movied and ask yourself: is the sound coming a typical speakers/receiver sound or do I feel like I am actually in the movie? Most computer-chip generated modes don't really sound natural, so let your ears be the judge.

Rich-n-Texas
05-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Shake The Rug,

I have a Yamaha HTR 5740 receiver, and I use this mode to hear two channel sourced audio in multi-channel output. My manual explains all of these DSP features pretty well.

PeruvianSkies
05-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Similar to my Pioneer Elite...there are various settings for music, movies, enhanced mode, 6-stereo, and a variety of other surround sound processing mixes. To me, these are absolutely a waste or remote space...I could care less about these features because I want to listen to my source the way it is meant to be. Therefore, a CD should be in 2-channel stereo, a 5.1 mix should be just that...in all 5 channels w/ sub. I don't want my receiver making a choice on how the sound is delivered because these settings tend to be awkward and annoying. The only setting that I could possible see a use for (and this is stretching it) is the 6-channel stereo, which can be helpful if you are playing CD's for a large group of people in a large room and you want more than just 2 speakers active, but still want to keep the integrety of stereo sound.

I have a friend who insists (instead of leaving the decoder to auto where it plays the source as intended) he chooses Stereo Surround, which drives me absolutely nuts when I am over there watching TV or playing PS3 because the sound is so weird. It sounds hollow and awkwardly aggressive in all the wrong parts of the room. The surrounds are active, but sometimes dialogue gets spread too thin and it's just flat-out-annoying.

That's just me though.

bfalls
05-05-2007, 01:35 AM
I have an older Yamaha RX-V2095 (100Wx5, 25Wx2). In enhanced modes, the front effects channels are used, bass level is increased and overall feel is more dynamic.

Shake The Rug
05-05-2007, 08:21 AM
so in other words, it's more for when you have a source that's only 2 channel but it also works for 5.1 as well?

Also, to Rich-n-Texas, there's another way of listening to 2 channel sources - in standard mode, you can select "setup" on the remote and get a list of choices to choose from (PL Movie, PL Music, PLIIx Music, Neo:6 Cinema, etc.) - How is this different from just selected enhanced mode?

kelsci
05-05-2007, 08:22 AM
Hi Bfalls; my brother had the 2095. I did play around with it a few years back. I do not recall if the enhanced modes activataed those two front effect speakers since the receiver had the option of not using those effects speakers and folding that sound back into the main speakers. I remember that there was an "enhanced" setting for Dol.Dig and perhaps for DPLOGIC. I never cared for the enhanced mode feature of that receiver. As a 5.1 receiver, the 2095 IMHO was topnotched for 5.1 Dol.Dig and DTS home theater sound. I think it has better sound than anything in the current Yamaha line as well. It also has a bass boost feature that works very well.

Woochifer
05-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Yamaha's DSP modes are intended to take a default signal and simulate a particular room environment. When watching movies on that Yamaha, you have two levels of signal processing -- 1) the default decoding (i.e., the "normal" Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM, or Dolby Pro Logic modes), and 2) the Cinema DSP modes. The Cinema DSP modes take the default signal and layer an additional level of processing.

The "Enhanced" mode is one of Yamaha's least aggressive DSP modes and it's intended to create a soundfield similar to what you would hear in a typical multiplex movie theater. However, a movie theater is not necessarily a good acoustical environment to emulate, so it does come down to your preferences. The Enhanced mode does give you a little bit more spatiality and indeed makes your home listening more reminiscent of sitting in a movie theater, so if you like that effect, there's not much drawback to using that mode.

DSP modes are somewhat controversial because they can add noise to the signal, and sound very artificial if poorly implemented. Compared to other manufacturers, Yamaha does a much better job with their DSP modes and allows for a lot more flexibility in adjusting those DSP modes to listener preferences and/or room conditions. For one thing, their DSP modes are based on acoustical measurements taken from actual rooms. For example, the Spectacle mode IIRC was modeled after a large 1,200 seat theater in L.A. (the now demolished Century Plaza), and watching movies in that mode are reminiscent of how movies sound in that particular auditorium (for better or worse).

In the end, the default modes (with no DSP processing) reflect how the movie soundtracks are intended to sound. If you want to take a purist approach to your settings, then this is the way to go. If you prefer the larger soundfield that a movie theater or concert hall provides, then go ahead and try out the different DSP modes on your receiver. After all, you already have them.

GMichael
05-05-2007, 03:28 PM
I thought that it took 5.1 and simulated 6.1 or 7.1 with it.

kelsci
05-07-2007, 09:26 AM
GM; that is usually called a "virtual surround back". Some Pioneer receivers made in the past few years had that option and current models may still have it. I also think some JVC receivers had it. It may have been on some Yamaha models such as the 5730.

Rich-n-Texas
05-07-2007, 09:58 AM
Shake,

Write down everything Wooch said. That's what I did! :thumbsup: ;)

PeruvianSkies
05-07-2007, 06:08 PM
Shake,

Write down everything Wooch said. That's what I did! :thumbsup: ;)

Yeah, because that's probably where he got this information from, he is a good copy&paste person, although at least it seems that he puts things into his own words. Although as much as it seems like he knows what he is talking about, I wouldn't always count on it.

Rich-n-Texas
05-08-2007, 05:36 AM
Maybe I'm mistaken, but isn't that how a person learns? You read/experience, absorb, then when asked, you reply in your own words.

PS, you know first-hand that I appreciate the advice and effort you've taken to answer my questions, but I really think you need to lighten up on some of the people you've had disagreements with in the past here. Some people would consider what you said about Wooch a personal attack. I remember three years ago when I joined this discussion forum reading a lot of knowledgable answers from Wooch and many others to questions ranging from my dumba$$ ones to some highly technical ones. I know you think of this website as a "community", so if you want to set a good example and give people the impression that you can be a good source of info, don't you think it would be to your benefit to leave the insults for the PM route?

Just my opinion though.

PeruvianSkies
05-08-2007, 08:52 AM
Maybe I'm mistaken, but isn't that how a person learns? You read/experience, absorb, then when asked, you reply in your own words.

PS, you know first-hand that I appreciate the advice and effort you've taken to answer my questions, but I really think you need to lighten up on some of the people you've had disagreements with in the past here. Some people would consider what you said about Wooch a personal attack. I remember three years ago when I joined this discussion forum reading a lot of knowledgable answers from Wooch and many others to questions ranging from my dumba$$ ones to some highly technical ones. I know you think of this website as a "community", so if you want to set a good example and give people the impression that you can be a good source of info, don't you think it would be to your benefit to leave the insults for the PM route?

Just my opinion though.

I could leave those things for PM's, my issues with Wooch (and others have them with him too) is that he doens't know as much as he likes to come off as. I am not disputing his knowledge in certain areas, even in this particular thread, but I caution others that when taking his advice to perhaps check other sources as well, because again, he comes across as highly knowledgable, but that's (in some cases) just a fascade.

There are certainly times on this forum when I am simply unable to respond to someones questions because I just don't know the answer, or don't know what they are necessarily talking about because I don't have first-hand experience, so I leave that to other people to handle.

Next time I shall post with caution and try to be more friendly. Thanks Rich.

Woochifer
05-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Yeah, because that's probably where he got this information from, he is a good copy&paste person, although at least it seems that he puts things into his own words. Although as much as it seems like he knows what he is talking about, I wouldn't always count on it.

:lol: Yer funny

Just my opinion though.

Just keep reading and absorbing and trying things for yourself. That's what I've learned over the years on this board. Plenty of people have helped me along the way, and the credibility of pointers and advice from different people will inevitably sift itself out. All you have to do is follow the threads, put the differing opinions and points of view to the test in your own room, and decide for yourself. I generally prefer to stay on topic, others seem to be good at digging their own holes.

GMichael
05-08-2007, 02:01 PM
:lol: Yer funny

Just keep reading and absorbing and trying things for yourself. That's what I've learned over the years on this board. Plenty of people have helped me along the way, and the credibility of pointers and advice from different people will inevitably sift itself out. All you have to do is follow the threads, put the differing opinions and points of view to the test in your own room, and decide for yourself. I generally prefer to stay on topic, others seem to be good at digging their own holes.

Hey, how'd you do that? Your post says motives and your quote says digging. Nice trick.

Anyway, my motives have been to be a smart ars. But I do enjoy reading your posts as they have always checked out to be right on for me.

noddin0ff
05-08-2007, 06:23 PM
The condensed version of what Wooch said (and he IS the authority) is that enhanced just lends a greater sense of space.