Speaker noise? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker noise?

quad121
05-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Hi everyone, the other day i noticed thare was a slight buzz coming from both speakers? I tried disconnecting every thing form the Pre Amp but the noise was still there. So on disconnecting the Pre Amp from the Amp the noise stopped! I checked the routing of the cables but they were ok.

Is there certain placements of the seperates on the stand?

I have the Power Amp at the bottom and up from that i have the Pre Amp would this cause this buzz?

Thank you all

Regards,

Paul

hydroman
05-04-2007, 12:14 PM
first thought -

cables breakdown, connectors corrode. Try swapping first.

Routing affects noise. Are they as short as possible? Routed away from power cords?

Lastly, car audio section of the store for noise filters that go in-line with the RCAs.

Brainstorm
05-05-2007, 12:08 AM
Try attaching a lead of wire to the ground connector on the rear of each unit and see if this noise goes away.

aevans
05-05-2007, 05:28 AM
keep the preamp away from everything, a lot of highend preamps come with seperate power supplies, and should not be placed near anything else. the ground wire and cable swap is a good start, I would suggest moving equipment it that does not work..

also, it could just be a bad component in your preamp, but you want to rule out everything else first, before calling the repair man

quad121
05-05-2007, 08:19 AM
Thankyou for all your advice. I've checked the cable routing and made sure that the power cables are kept away from the audio cables. I've tied upthe power cables together and routed them to the left and i've tied up the audio cables (nterconnects) and routed them to the right. Theres a good 12" between them!
Theres still a slight buzz like interference form both speakers though.

I'll try moving the Krell Pre Amp further from the rest of the components and see if that soughts it out!

aevans
05-05-2007, 01:15 PM
did you make any changes in your setup for this sound to show up, or did it just show up one day? another thing to check is of coarse the power outlet that is in use to make sure that it's wired properly. you can also reset your breaker in your fuse box.. which may help if it's gotten a really big load on it recently.

quad121
05-05-2007, 09:52 PM
did you make any changes in your setup for this sound to show up, or did it just show up one day? another thing to check is of coarse the power outlet that is in use to make sure that it's wired properly. you can also reset your breaker in your fuse box.. which may help if it's gotten a really big load on it recently.

The noise has appeared since i changed my setup. Before i had the Krell Power Amp and PreAmp i had a NAD intergrated Amp which i didn't notice any noise.

aevans
05-06-2007, 09:13 AM
try using the nad as a preamp, just to make sure it's not the amp making the noise.

also, how long have you had the krell.. I've used class a amps that took a few weeks of being on to get all of the qwerks out. Just cook it and see if it will heal thy self.

if it really is the preamp see if you can use another set of outputs to the amp (xlr's instead of rca's, or the otherway around).. also try switching inputs to see if the problem can be avoided.

worst case call krell and ship it to the factory for a refresh.. or just live with the noise.

quad121
05-06-2007, 10:42 AM
I've tried the NAD as a pre amp in place of the Krell Pre Amp but there is still the buzz. When i purchased the Krell KSL-3 Pre Amp it was new! It was still sealed in it's box.

Will it take a while for the Krell Pre Amp to 'burn in'?

aevans
05-06-2007, 11:22 AM
if the you used the NAD as a preamp and there was a buzz, then it is the KAV-500 that has noise. I would let it burn in.. if after a week or two it does not get better then I would consider sending the amp to krell or checking back here to see if anyone else has an idea.

how old is that krell? I know the KAV-500 came out in the 90's, if it's been around that long, it can start to make a little buzz... I'd call krell and check on the price for a service on it if the burn in does not fix the problem.

quad121
05-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Hi aevans, I purchased the KAV 500 secondhand. It's not the 500 as when i un-hook the interlinks the noise dissappears. It only makes the noise when the Pre Amp is connected.

As i said the Pre Amp was in new condition, never been used. The box was still sealed with the original packing tape!

aevans
05-06-2007, 05:21 PM
if you get the same buzz when using another preamp, then it's the amp.. it may only happen when you connect the rca's on the back, but it's still the amp.

listenUPyo
05-09-2007, 05:50 PM
I fixed the same problem by swapping the cables. Try it.

quad121
05-10-2007, 12:40 AM
Thankyou for all your help. I'll try swapping cables.

quad121
05-10-2007, 06:49 AM
Hi everyone, Just got hold of a pair of Balanced XLR leads and bingo! the noise has gone!!
Thankyou everyone for your advice.
Regards,
quad

bluerush
05-22-2007, 09:23 PM
This has happened to my speakers too! But it's all ok now.

McIntosh MC252 (http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/mcintosh-laboratory-inc-1500/mc252-power-amplifier-5956.html) - Get the MC252 Power Amplifier Catalog by McIntosh Laboratory, Inc.