Do I smell a budget phono pre of the year? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Do I smell a budget phono pre of the year?

jrhymeammo
05-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Check out the new phonostage that will be introduced later. Just based on specs, it looks might impressive.
My next phono stage was going to be the bigger brother LP5.3 for its quiet S/N. But this little guy looks like he can handle on his own.

http://www.simaudio.com/moonlp3.htm

The Budget Product of the Year?

No idea on how it'll sound, but at $400 almost everyone can afford it. Balanced outputs would be nice much nicer for those lucky ones, and would probably be much quieter since LP5.3 would need to be turned up 6dBs less. But basing just on LP3's specification, noise doesnt seem to be too much of an issue no matter to connection. Looks like I no longer need to save $1000-1400 for a new phono stage, but will see...

I can't wait to read reviews on this piece. But chances are, it's gonna be filled with words like cold and thin. Let's hope not.

JRA

JohnMichael
05-04-2007, 06:39 AM
Good job JRA. I had decided not to make anymore changes in the analog chain but that sweet looking preamp has caught my attention. I thought about a new cartridge or phono preamp but I wanted to listen to the new mods longer before other changes. Nice price and looks well built. I guess I will shoot a few weddings this season to cover the purchase price.

basite
05-04-2007, 07:11 AM
that is so on my to do/wish list now :cornut:

Great find :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

JohnMichael
05-04-2007, 07:24 AM
that is so on my to do/wish list now :cornut:

Great find :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

I am looking forward to your review of the Marantz CD5001 OSE

basite
05-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks, I'm working on it :)
but it could be that I finish the advents too this weekend, in that case I'll first 'briefly' review the advents, and then review the Marantz after that...
shouldn't be any later than wednesday though...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

nightflier
05-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Check out the new phonostage that will be introduced later. Just based on specs, it looks might impressive.

Yes, the specs are impressive, but there are other options like the Clearaudio Basic and the Musical Fidelity X-LPS v.3, that I also would like to audition, but honestly, the Jolida JD9a is still at the top of my list - at $450 new, it stands head and shoulders over the others, although I've read that with better tubes it is far better.

Realistically, moving up from my Phonomena, a preamp needs to have easy, front-dial adjustments for gain and cap. For the next level up ($1200-ish), I'm still not ready to decide. Here's one I stumbled across in the latest Acoustic Sounds Catalog that should be interesting to play with (and it has balanced outputs):

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=38656&sct=music

royphil345
05-04-2007, 04:36 PM
I agree. I love my Jolida in that price-range. Wider range of adjustability for gain and loading with reasonably fine steps. Tweaking really made a difference... "Meaty", dynamic sound while remaining very smooth, extended and musical (stock tubes are a little on the warm and wooly side, not at all unpleasant though)... Ability to roll tubes to better suit your taste... I've got the Groove Tubes GT-12AX7-M in there now. A little more neutral and extended than the stock tubes, but still on the warm side. Will eventually try some good NOS tubes. It's sounding so good now, I'm in no hurry. I'd love to see even better gear become available for less cash. Not going to hold my breath though... This thing sounds REALLY good and I think it would be very tough to beat for the same money. Probably the biggest difference a component ever made in my system besides speakers.

I've also seen the Musical Surroundings Phonomena selling on Audiogon for about the same price. Excellent parts quality... Very adjustable (although the cover must be removed)... Another tough one to beat for the money...

jrhymeammo
05-04-2007, 05:40 PM
With MM or high output MC cartridges, noise from phono pre is almost never an issue. But since most of us here play with LO MC, I think we benefit much more with quieter phono pres. The specs on the LP3 looks insane for the price. At that point, I have to thing the surface noise would become more noticeable, than its SN ratio. I think LP3 would allow freaks like us to hear details we've never heard before. But alot of know that's not always the deciding factor for our purchases. It's all about eliminating listening fatigue.......and curiousity.

Damn Roy, I can;t convince you that you NEED LP3? Com'on man, dont front me like that.

JRA

royphil345
05-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Damn Roy, I can;t convince you that you NEED LP3? Com'on man, dont front me like that.

JRA

LOL... Maybe if you move just one of your hands (avatar)...

I'm just saying it's going to have some serious competition in the price-range and I've found the abilty to fine-tune a little more to be extremely valuable, maybe even necessary in a phono stage. I'm sure the solid-state Phonomena compares in S/N ratio and it's very adjustable. Usually sells for closer to $600.00. For a little over $400.00 it was hard to pass up. Although, I really couldn't be much happier with the JD-9A / moving coil combination. Everything I hoped for. There is a little "whooshing" that can be heard with the volume cranked... This phono stage packs a wallop though... Won't ever be turning the volume near that high with a signal present.

I guess I was just saying... "don't count your chickens before they're eggs"... or something like that... If it turns out to be "the cat's pajamas", I'll sell my Jolida and buy an LP3...

jrhymeammo
05-05-2007, 06:07 AM
I think it's just another thing some companies do not publish.
What phonopreamp can match specs below within 6dB in unbalanced connection for under $1000? Im not really sure how many I can name in $1000+. I'm not quite sure how meaningful the info is since most of companies use different measurements such as Weighted, Unweighted at @Full-Scale or @ a certain frequency, and of course the price-tag.

<table bgcolor="silver" border="1" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="90%"><tbody><tr><td> Signal-to-noise Ratio (full scale @ 40dB gain)</td> <td> 104dBr </td> </tr> <tr> <td> Signal-to-noise Ratio (full scale @ 60dB gain)</td> <td> 87dBr</td></tr></tbody></table>
Are those something you guys consider very seriously? I say all of this because I enjoy listening to records with lower noise.
But, I do wish my phono stage had front/back panel adjustment switches since I use 2 TTs with mine, but I just leave the cover off for easy access.

Whatchu guys think?

royphil345
05-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Jolida specs:

Frequency Response: 5Hz to 110KHz, (+/- 1 dB)

SNR: > 100 dB
Distortion THD: Less than .02%

Input Impedance: 100Kohms

Output Impedance: 600 ohms
Phono Stage: MM: 70 dB, 5 mV
MC High: 85 dB, 0.5 mV – 1.5 mV
MC Low: 95 dB, 0.25 mV – 0.5 mV
Input Resistance: 100 ohm, 300 Ohm, 1Kohm, 47Kohm
Input Capacitance: 47 PF, 100PF, 150PF, 220PF
Tube Complement: 2 pcs. 12AX7
Size: 17 in. (W) x 13 in. (D) x 2 in. (H)

Weight: 10 lbs., 14 lbs. Boxed
Warranty : Two years parts and labor, one year on tubes

Like you said, not sure how meaningful the numbers are, but the Jolida is no slouch. Check out the gain available. There are reduced level outputs available to tame it. Driving a passive preamp with a moving coil would be no problem using the high level outputs. Additional load resistance settings of 70 ohms, 75 ohms, or 230 ohms may also be obtained using a combination of switches. Sounds pretty sweet for a little over $400.00 shipped. Tough competition for the new guy... LOL

jrhymeammo
05-05-2007, 04:53 PM
[quote=royphil345]
Phono Stage: MM: 70 dB, 5 mV
MC High: 85 dB, 0.5 mV – 1.5 mV
MC Low: 95 dB, 0.25 mV – 0.5 mV /quote]

I've read that before on their site, but I just couldnt think that is possible.

What is the lowest output provided by JD-9? I think that's where they measured their SN ratio of 100dB. Ratio of less than 90db wouldnt be much audible under normal listening, right?
Can you tell me the noise level on your pre thru your speakers when nothing is playing? That would help me out alot. I've been searching for Battery Powered or SS phono pre to purchase months from now, but would like to stay with valves. $4-500 is something I can do before summer starts.

royphil345
05-05-2007, 10:35 PM
There's a touch more noise when the volume's cranked all the way up and nothing's playing than there was with my all solid-state phono stages. You wouldn't be turning the volume up that high with this thing though and I did really have to crank the volume with the others. Definitely believe the gain specs. Using the low gain outputs and a low output MC, it has about the same output as my CD player if not more... That's using the weaker outputs... The stronger outputs seem more suited for use with a passive pre or some other pre with less gain...

There might be a little audible noise during extremely quiet passages when playing music very, very loudly using a low output MC. Seems about par for the course in this price-range. If the S/N specs for my all solid-state units were accurate, I'd say that it does seem the Jolida should measures a little better and that the specs seem accurate. I'm sure >100db is for the MM setting (lowest gain setting available)...

If you're looking for the absolute quietest phono stage there is... This might not be it. Although, it's not especially noisy and has quite a few really nice attributes for the money. Guess I'll have to bring it over and see if it works in your system or not... ROAD TRIP!!!... LOL.

Check out the deal I found after I already bought mine... and that's with free shipping... http://store.tivocommunity.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EA&Product_Code=1313&Category_Code= Don't know if it's a reliable web retailer or not... or how long they might take to ship... Bought mine at Uptown Audio where it was shipped instantly... no exaggeration... http://www.uptownaudio.com/jolida/jdStore.htm

The Musical Surroundings Phonomena looks pretty tweakable and tempting as well... http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/inc/sdetail/10123

jrhymeammo
05-06-2007, 09:20 AM
There's a touch more noise when the volume's cranked all the way up and nothing's playing than there was with my all solid-state phono stages. You wouldn't be turning the volume up that high with this thing though and I did really have to crank the volume with the others.

If the S/N specs for my all solid-state units were accurate, I'd say that it does seem the Jolida should measures a little better and that the specs seem accurate.

So are you basing it on the volume level on your receiver? Or comparing noise with similar SPL you would be playing?

I ask this because I assume outputs on your Jolida, Rotel and NAD are different.

I may have to audition the next phono pre I'll buy.....damn it I hate doing that. Where is fun in that?

JRA

royphil345
05-06-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm basing it very unscientifically on the fact that the noise level seems just a little louder at a given position of the volume control compared to my other phono stages... while the signal is much louder. Specs seem legit...