Are we not horses? No, but we are kinda like Neutral Milk Hotel... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Are we not horses? No, but we are kinda like Neutral Milk Hotel...

Monkey Bones
05-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Ah, the concept of the horse, in this case six-legged robotic horses that are convinced that they are real horses? C'mon, hasn't that been done to death already? I mean, really :)

Hehehe, thanks FA,this is some cool stuff. I had no idea. Where did this come from? There is a component of the Decemberists' sound, so guess that isn't a big surprise. But those quavery vocals, were you a closeted Jeff Mangum groupie. Okkervil River afficianado perhaps? Surely you must be a Will "Bonnie 'Prince' Billy" Oldham fan? Or a big Modest Mouse fan? Maybe Micah P. Hinson? Old Canes? Yeah, this is fun, even if owing a bit too much to some of my favorites at times. Hard to believe they pull it all off, and it does seem precariously close to careening off track once in a while, when all the players seem about to head off in different directions, but they all come back together over and over. Quite a cast of intrumentalists, almost like one of those popular big Canadian ensembles, but this a lot more folkie than the new millenium post rock.

Rae
05-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Ah, the concept of the horse, in this case six-legged robotic horses that are convinced that they are real horses? C'mon, hasn't that been done to death already? I mean, really :)

Sometimes I think that you are being deliberately obscure... the name of the band that you reference doesn't even appear in your post! And it took me a couple of Google searches before I was even sure that you mentioned the name of the record either.

No sound where I'm at right now but I'll try to check this out when I get on another machine.

~Rae

ForeverAutumn
05-03-2007, 12:33 PM

Hehehe, thanks FA,this is some cool stuff. I had no idea. Where did this come from? There is a component of the Decemberists' sound, so guess that isn't a big surprise. But those quavery vocals, were you a closeted Jeff Mangum groupie. Okkervil River afficianado perhaps? Surely you must be a Will "Bonnie 'Prince' Billy" Oldham fan? Or a big Modest Mouse fan? Maybe Micah P. Hinson? Old Canes? Yeah, this is fun, even if owing a bit too much to some of my favorites at times. Hard to believe they pull it all off, and it does seem precariously close to careening off track once in a while, when all the players seem about to head off in different directions, but they all come back together over and over. Quite a cast of intrumentalists, almost like one of those popular big Canadian ensembles, but this a lot more folkie than the new millenium post rock.

Where did this come from? Good question. I have no idea why I like this CD. It's definately not my usual fare. But I kinda thought that you might get a kick out of it. I think that I sent a copy to Swish Daddy too.

I don't know much of the bands that you've compared it to, but I was definately hearing some Deadly Snakes in the vocals and Rheostatics in the music, so maybe those are my references for enjoyment...not sure really. I must have been in an experimental mood (or maybe just a mental mood) when I picked this one up.

Needless to say, this album is living proof that this place has definately expanded my horizons.

Swish
05-04-2007, 05:09 AM
Where did this come from? Good question. I have no idea why I like this CD. It's definately not my usual fare. But I kinda thought that you might get a kick out of it. I think that I sent a copy to Swish Daddy too.

...it was the first and only one of the four you sent that I've played so far (sorry, just too busy). I was actually going to post about it over the weekend, and then that little sh<a>it from Cal-ee-four-nia went and spoiled it for me.

That being said, I thought of Neutral Milk right from the get-go, and it's no surprise that the Pitchfork reviewer mentioned them too, along with Okkervil River;

In truth, even after abandoning the concept review idea, I feel the burden of responsibility to describe for you music that often seems just beyond the reach of verbs and adjectives-- Fiona Stewart's swirling violin running tangent to the melodies; those demonstrative horns volleying fanfares across Eaton's vocals; the unsettling unraveling of "My Children, Be Joyful" and closer "We've Got a Lot to Be Glad For"; the way songs bend themselves into a heraldic sing-alongs, as if Eaton is leading a congregation in hymns. His vocals and the band's liberal application of brass instruments have inspired many comparisons to Neutral Milk Hotel, but in truth, Are We Not Horses? recalls Okkervil River's similarly hoofed Black Sheep Boy in the metaphoric potential of its anthropomorphism as well as in its considerable musical accomplishment.

Nice surprise FA.

Thanks,
Swish

Monkey Bones
05-04-2007, 07:54 AM
Sometimes I think that you are being deliberately obscure... the name of the band that you reference doesn't even appear in your post!
And sometimes I think you are being deliberately *****y! I mean, maybe I'm just old, and ...er ...oh yea, and forgot to include the name of the band, did you consider that? What was it again anyway, I can't seem to find the CD. I know it's a silly name, something about a rock. Oh well, probably better to be thought of as obscure instead of the guy that can't compose a complete post? Ya know, short a couple cards? Attic's a little dusty? Not enough brain cells for the Prozac to be effective? Nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean, know what I mean ....

NP: Queen Anne's Revenge from one of my favorites of the last few years. Oops, there I go again, where is that CD ...

ForeverAutumn
05-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Rock Plaza Central (http://www.rockplazacentral.com/)

Stone
05-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Where's my dinner?

ForeverAutumn
05-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Where's my dinner?

Your monkey steak is still marinading. Be patient.

3-LockBox
05-04-2007, 10:58 AM

Quick! hit the delete post option!

Monkey Bones
05-04-2007, 11:02 AM
I love it when you use those sexy double entendres. Makes me all clammy inside.

The other day I met a girl named Joy ...