Power Cords [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Power Cords

quad121
05-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi every one. Been reading up on Power cords and wondered does changing your power cord from the standard one supplied make a difference?

Thankyou,

Regards,

Paul

GMichael
05-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Depends on who you talk to. Some say yes. Some say no. Others say that the ones who say yes don't know what they are talking about. Still other say that the ones who say no can't hear what they are hearing so don't tell me what I'm hearing.

Sit back, enjoy the ride. Good luck trying to figure out what camp is right.

Rock789
05-03-2007, 05:32 PM
if the stock power cable is undersized, a better (bigger) cable will help...
most likely the power cable is sized correctly so no need to worry about voltage drop...

Mr Peabody
05-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Hey, Quad, did you get a CD player yet?

I have had very good results with upgrading my power cords. I replaced my Krell cords with just entry level Transparent and the results were very good. It helped with the amp but it was even more noticeable on my CD player and phono stage. I borrowed a cord from the local hi fi shop to try. I was so impressed after trying it on various equipment that I replaced every cord that could be detached. I also bought a used MIT power cord to use with my LINN amp when I bought it, and it is also a good cord.

The best thing to do is see if a shop in your area will lend you one to try or buy one from a website that allows a 30 day return. I'm sure you will keep it but you will have to make up your own mind.

I've also had good results with using the PS Audio Quintet power center. PSA makes interconnects and power cords as well. www.amusicdirect.com was offering a free DVD from PSA on the history of electricity if you might be interested.

quad121
05-03-2007, 11:14 PM
Hey, Quad, did you get a CD player yet?

I have had very good results with upgrading my power cords. I replaced my Krell cords with just entry level Transparent and the results were very good. It helped with the amp but it was even more noticeable on my CD player and phono stage. I borrowed a cord from the local hi fi shop to try. I was so impressed after trying it on various equipment that I replaced every cord that could be detached. I also bought a used MIT power cord to use with my LINN amp when I bought it, and it is also a good cord.

The best thing to do is see if a shop in your area will lend you one to try or buy one from a website that allows a 30 day return. I'm sure you will keep it but you will have to make up your own mind.

I've also had good results with using the PS Audio Quintet power center. PSA makes interconnects and power cords as well. www.amusicdirect.com was offering a free DVD from PSA on the history of electricity if you might be interested.

Hi Mr Peabody.

I'm giving a Densen B400 XS a go. Borrowed it from a shop who are gonna let me try it out!

Mr Peabody
05-05-2007, 04:24 AM
I'm not familiar with them, let us know how it goes.

quad121
05-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Hi Mr Peabody,
I've used the densen for a while now and it's got a lot more detail than the 6000. The sound clarity is crisper and the bass is tight.
It works very well with the Krell