11 months and 4 subpoenas later [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 11 months and 4 subpoenas later

JohnMichael
05-03-2007, 06:24 AM
Today it finally happened. I testified against the young man who tried to choke his girlfriend outside of my apartment. The incident happened in June of 2006 but due to the victim not showing up and then the accused not appearing it was continued three times. Of course I was compensated for my time with a check for $6.00 for each trip to court. When I receive this check combined with the first three I might buy one vinyl record.

I was pleased that the victim finally seemed a little more at ease when he was sentenced and she finally thanked me for intervening. I hope he is not too angry when released since he obviously knows where I live.

basite
05-03-2007, 07:22 AM
well what can one say...

at least now it's over, so don't bother about him too much...

and keep them spinning,
Bert.

Bernd
05-03-2007, 07:45 AM
.....a long time. Well done friend. I think the guy knows now that you are not a coward, unlike some. Full marks for coming to her aid.:thumbsup:
Some years back, I stopped a burglary and pinned the guy to the floor till the cops showed up. Afterwards I was pleased that handguns are banned here though.
When it finally got to court he had a Jacket 15 cm thick, but he knew I wouldn't be intimedated or back down.
Just enjoy the knowledge that you have done good.

Peace

:16:

kexodusc
05-03-2007, 07:47 AM
Did ya grow a set to lend some weight to your testimony? j/k :D

JohnMichael
05-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Did ya grow a set to lend some weight to your testimony? j/k :D

No, but I did not pee myself on the stand.

markw
05-03-2007, 08:17 AM
You did the right thing.

What did they sentence him to?

JohnMichael
05-03-2007, 08:29 AM
You did the right thing.

What did they sentence him to?

He only received 90 days. What was originally going to be a charge of domestic violence was changed to assault due to the fact the victim did not show up for the second court date. Since I was there they were able to keep the case alive and they refiled for assault so my testimony would be enough. The third time I went to court he was in another court for a drug charge. So finally he had his day in court. I am very unfamiliar with the system but I do not think 90 days is enough. Of course I saw his ferocity and anger directed to my neighbor. At that time I would say her life was truly in danger.

GMichael
05-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Go go Boy! (can I say that?)
Teach them thugs a lesson. But just 90 days? Took longer to get him in than he'll be there.

Nice pair..........

ForeverAutumn
05-03-2007, 09:54 AM
You're still my hero!

kexodusc
05-03-2007, 10:23 AM
Well let's hope the sentence follows him around for quite some time.
I don't recall, or missed the back story if you ever told it. How'd all this go down originally?

JohnMichael
05-04-2007, 06:28 AM
Well let's hope the sentence follows him around for quite some time.
I don't recall, or missed the back story if you ever told it. How'd all this go down originally?

Kex I was lucky enough to have this young woman move into an apartment on the second floor and she brought her drug dealing boyfriend and his friends. We had a lot of traffic for 3 months before she was evicted. All kinds of fun such as everyone standing in the upstairs hall with walkie/talkie phones making deals. People knocking on doors for cigarettes, to use the phone and ask for rides to other cities. We got to the point we would not answer our doors or the outer security door. They would pull out hedges to block the security door. I would tell friends not to visit. We were under seige. All is peaceful again.

Here is a link to the choking incident.
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=18501

bobsticks
05-07-2007, 04:12 PM
JM, you're the man.

I would imagine that the young woman probably didn't show the slightest bit of gratitude, that would be the status quo. Regardless, you did the right thing on several accounts. Thanks for the inspiring behavior--score one for the good guys.