Paint Job, What would you use? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paint Job, What would you use?

stevef22
05-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Hi everyone, I found this Kenwood M2A but it needs paint. I know its rare someone would repaint their vintage gear but I wanna. Is there a tutorial for painting audio gear? What paint/method would you use?

Thanks,
Steve

http://enigmawebdesign.com/jnk.jpg This is mine.

http://www.audioscope.net/images/kenwoodbasicm2mk24.jpg
Final product?

mlsstl
05-03-2007, 05:46 AM
That is going to be tough. The "good" panel looks like anodized aluminum that has had the lettering silkscreened. Most people have no equipment to re-anodize metal plate nor the ability to redo the silkscreen. Your best bet will probably be to look for a cleaner that will remove the grunge without taking off the existing lettering, and then just accept the fact that you have acquired a piece of equipment with "character."

basite
05-03-2007, 06:32 AM
yep, though one...

it isn't just paint that they used, and you can't just repaint/respray it.
but you'd be amazed what a good cleaning job would do...

I see lots and lots of fingerprints, and since they show up real good, there will be a little dust too...
I clean my amp regulary (well not completely, but just to wipe off the fingerprints a little) but I did clean the old kenwood one time...

If you can, take off the front plate (unscrew the screws, there will also be screws under the 'hood' (?) so take that off too, and unscrew all the screws connected to it) ONLY remove the front plate (knobs can be cleaned too, if you wish, so you could take them off, but they'll be glued to the potmeter, so if they don't come off instantly, leave them on) do not remove the lights & stuff, because that will only make it more difficult afterwards.

then, I used a cleaning product that was made to clean a PC keyboard, works fine and removes all unwanted fingerprints & dust. Try that, but you could also try with just water, and scrubbing a little harder...

Good luck,
Bert.

Feanor
05-03-2007, 06:35 AM
Hi everyone, I found this Kenwood M2A but it needs paint. I know its rare someone would repaint their vintage gear but I wanna. Is there a tutorial for painting audio gear? What paint/method would you use?

Thanks,
Steve

This is mine. ...

Final product?

This a a huge no-no, at least for front panels. Like misstl said, you will never duplicate the lettering and without that you can only make matters worse.

I suggest you simply clean it up with ammonia. It surprising how good old finger grease can deteriorate the appearance over the years, and it is even more surprising how much improved the appearance is once this subtle accmumlation is cleaned off.

Repeat: do not paint front panels. It will ruin the appearance and reduce resale value (if that's a consideration).

DEVO
05-03-2007, 07:13 AM
This a a huge no-no, at least for front panels. Like misstl said, you will never duplicate the lettering and without that you can only make matters worse.

I suggest you simply clean it up with ammonia. It surprising how good old finger grease can deteriorate the appearance over the years, and it is even more surprising how much improved the appearance is once this subtle accmumlation is cleaned off.

Repeat: do not paint front panels. It will ruin the appearance and reduce resale value (if that's a consideration).

Exactly...I use this for all of my wifes antiques. It will take any fingerprints and dust w/ out damaging anything. But never...never...never paint a front panel, it would look horid!

basite
05-03-2007, 07:19 AM
But never...never...never paint a front panel, it would look horid!

and even that would be a gentle way of expressing it...

stevef22
05-03-2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the alarming concerns. I didnt know the metal was anodized aluminum, the tip of a good old cleaning is what I will do.

Steve

stevef22
05-03-2007, 01:02 PM
What are some good solvents for alluminum? I was reading that you can use some solvents on alluminum then rinse with water. As you can see from my pic the previous owner got some spray over form some sort of paint liquor on the amplifier. Elbow grese aint doing the trick.

-----------------------------------------------
How do I clean anodized aluminum?

Cleaning anodized aluminum is easy with the right technique. Because anodizing is so hard, you want to use an abrasive cleaning technique with a gentle soap. Do not use harsh acidic or alkaline cleaners because they may destroy the finish. Use solvents with care as they may stain the finish. Regardless of the technique, be sure to try a test area first. One recommended technique is to use an abrasive cleaning sponge with mild dish washing liquid. Always try a test small area first to prevent a widespread problem. (For more detailed advice, obtain a copy of Care of Aluminum from The Aluminum Association. )
--------------------------------------------------------
http://enigmawebdesign.com/spe.jpg

Is it ok to use general alcohol to clean aluminum? Thats what Im using right now, couldn't fine any ammonia.

Feanor
05-03-2007, 05:43 PM
What are some good solvents for alluminum? I was reading that you can use some solvents on alluminum then rinse with water. As you can see from my pic the previous owner got some spray over form some sort of paint liquor on the amplifier. Elbow grese aint doing the trick.

-----------------------------------------------
How do I clean anodized aluminum?

Is it ok to use general alcohol to clean aluminum? Thats what Im using right now, couldn't fine any ammonia.

Don't damage the lettering. I recommend not scrubbing with anything abbrasive. Just use a soft cloth. Ammonia is least likely to damage anything, but isopropyl alcohol is probably OK on anodized aluminium, (but watch the lettering).

If you have blobs of paint you migh have to use a solvent appropriate for dried-on paint of whatever type it is. (Chemical names don't come to mind, but there are such solvents.) I still recommend not scrubbing with anything abbrasive, use a Q-tip and apply and reapply until the paint softens, then use your finger nail.

Luvin Da Blues
05-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Don't damage the lettering. I recommend not scrubbing with anything abbrasive. Just use a soft cloth. Ammonia is least likely to damage anything, but isopropyl alcohol is probably OK on anodized aluminium, (but watch the lettering).

If you have blobs of paint you migh have to use a solvent appropriate for dried-on paint of whatever type it is. (Chemical names don't come to mind, but there are such solvents.) I still recommend not scrubbing with anything abbrasive, use a Q-tip and apply and reapply until the paint softens, then use your finger nail.

I guess if your ambitious enough, you could have the lettering engraved first. Then a decent professional metal refurbisher (custom auto shop??)could make that real nice.

basite
05-04-2007, 11:06 AM
alcohol will do fine too, just dont scrub it like you're going to sand it :)

and when possible, try to remove the front plate, you could miss bits if you don't...

Good luck, and let us know :)
it should drive your cerwin vegas with all ease :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.