Anybody planning to pick up the new Dinosaur Jr? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody planning to pick up the new Dinosaur Jr?

Rae
05-01-2007, 08:21 PM
I think it came out today, although I've had a leaked copy for a few weeks. My opinion is that it's a damn good record. At the risk of sounding like a classic rock fan (although I guess it's somewhat appropriate since Mascis & Co. seem sometimes to worship at that altar themselves), it's great to hear a band that's 20-25 years on making a comfortable record like this. Kinda reminds me of the records that Sonic Youth makes these days-- nothing terribly revelatory but still great in that familiar way. This is unmistakably the same band that made You're Living All Over Me and Bug two decades ago... the album starts off strong with "Almost Ready," but it really hits its stride for me on the second through fourth tracks. "Crumble" is vintage Mascis, as is "Pick Me Up," which starts off as an uptempo rocker that you might expect to clock in at under three minutes but somewhere along the way gets lost in self-deprecating insecurity and guitar jamming and ends up passing the six-and-a-half-minute mark. "Back to Your Heart" is Lou Barlow's first contribution and the moment when the record feels really transcendent. Barlow's only other tune, the rocking "Lightning Bulb," is also among his best.

Overall, nothing that's gonna convert anybody but a great marathon shirt for anybody that's nostalgic for their drug-addled, lo-fi college rock.

http://search.insound.com/search/showrelease.jsp?p=INS36018
http://www.fatpossum.com
http://www.dinosaurjr.com

~Rae

Swish
05-02-2007, 04:39 AM
Kinda reminds me of the records that Sonic Youth makes these days-- nothing terribly revelatory but still great in that familiar way. Overall, nothing that's gonna convert anybody but a great marathon shirt for anybody that's nostalgic for their drug-addled, lo-fi college rock.
~Rae
.......you don't exactly paint a picture that makes me want to run out and buy it, or I guess I should say, go to DeepDiscount.com (for anyone who doesn't know, this was formerly DeepDiscountcd.com but was merged with their DeepDiscounddvd.com site and you can buy everything at one place, along with books and other crap) and order it.

I always liked this band, but as you mention, there's nothing here that is terribly revelatory, and I figure if I buy it, like so many others in my collection, it won't grab me and will become yet another dust-gatherer. I am looking forward to the new one from The National though.

Swish

Rae
05-02-2007, 07:51 AM
I always liked this band, but as you mention, there's nothing here that is terribly revelatory, and I figure if I buy it, like so many others in my collection, it won't grab me and will become yet another dust-gatherer.

Maybe I should've said, "nothing that's gonna convert anybody, but if, like me, these guys at some point became one of your favorite bands, you will love this and listen to the **** out of it this summer because it's basically as good as any of their records (just not as cutting-edge anymore)".

~Rae

-Jar-
05-02-2007, 08:40 AM
Maybe I should've said, "nothing that's gonna convert anybody, but if, like me, these guys at some point became one of your favorite bands, you will love this and listen to the **** out of it this summer because it's basically as good as any of their records (just not as cutting-edge anymore)".

~Rae

well it's no my list, though my list sort of depends upon when the Library gets it :)

maybe I'll go get on the waiting list..

I'm like, 443th on the list for the Arcade Fire! d''oh!

-jar

Monkey Bones
05-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Saw them on Letterman a couple nights ago doing Almost Ready. I usually get home these days right about the time Leno and Letterman wrap it up with the music guest. Fun to see them back together, still a little sloppy live, like they hadn't practiced much. J with his long white-blonde locks hanging half-way to his waist and covering his face, top of the guitar tucked under the gut, price tag hanging from the guitar strap, Wipers t-shirt under the sweats ... for some reason I thought of Spinal Tap :)

Hehehe, but love to hear him play. Love to hear anyone tear it up on the guitar these days, getting so rare. They had Lou mixed pretty high so really more bass roar than guitar at times. Bet it sounded a lot better in the studio there since Dave sounded like he was (genuinely) pretty impressed. I see that it's up on youtube now, so if you want it, here it is, but a quick sample and it doesn't seem to be recorded very well ....

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JNr1vOChZ6U"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JNr1vOChZ6U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Resident Loser
05-02-2007, 09:17 AM
Saw them on Letterman a couple nights ago doing Almost Ready.

...thank God for Fast-Forward...

jimHJJ(...grind...drone...grind...drone...)

Rich-n-Texas
05-02-2007, 10:14 AM
...thank God for Fast-Forward...

RL, if that sound you're describing is what's coming from your new VCR/DVD combo machine, you'd better take it in for service while it's still under warranty. :biggrin5:

Because I'm old, I am a classic rock fan but I don't remember Dinosaur Jr. or any of the band members, but he does jam on that Letterman piece.

Ah! Now I see why... I didn't go to college. :cornut:

Monkey Bones
05-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Saw them on Letterman a couple nights ago doing Almost Ready.
And...thank God for Fast-Forward...

Hehehe, coulda sworn that someone said almost the same identical thing after opening one of your posts. Might be wrong, though :idea:

But yea, I hear ya, and if you step away a little it does sound a bit like a wayward tractor moving through your house, but man, when you get inside the music, it just feels so right. Music in one of it's purest forms. Played because .. well, that's what you do. No great reward. Just a way to get it out. Fun stuff.

Resident Loser
05-02-2007, 11:13 AM
Hehehe, coulda sworn that someone said almost the same identical thing after opening one of your posts. Might be wrong, though :idea:

But yea, I hear ya, and if you step away a little it does sound a bit like a wayward tractor moving through your house, but man, when you get inside the music, it just feels so right. Music in one of it's purest forms. Played because .. well, that's what you do. No great reward. Just a way to get it out. Fun stuff.

...at least my posts change tempo once in a while...and they certainly contain more melodic content...Were the guitarist and bassist even playing in the same key towards the end? Hard to tell...the audio on Letterman generally s*cks with louder groups...limiters or some other form of compression, maybe just overdriving their front-ends...

I'd hardly call that "...music in one of it's purest forms...", in fact I'd be hard pressed to call it music in any form...He!! I'd rather listen to Opeth...

jimnHJJ(...or a half-hour version of Spoonful...)

Stone
05-03-2007, 06:31 AM
Damn, those guys were/are great. I really need to get this at some point. In the meantime, I think I'll break out a couple Dino Jr. albums this weekend.

<---------------------------- Dial 999 if you really want the truth.