Paging Rush fans [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paging Rush fans

ForeverAutumn
05-01-2007, 05:04 PM
If anyone is interested, Kim Mitchell will be interviewing Geddy and Alex live at 6:00pm eastern time tomorrow (May 2). You can listen at http://www.q107.com.

It should be very interesting to hear this former frontman of Max Webster interview his long-time friends. Max Webster and Rush hit the Toronto music scene around the same time. Growing up in Toronto, both bands were thought of as Rock Gods (and still are). In 1980, the two bands collaberated on the song Battle Scar, which was released on Max Webster's, Universal Juveniles album.

Because of their history together, I suspect that this won't be your ordinary interview.

There was also a 90 minute show recorded in the Q107 studio to release the album. The show was made up from an hour of interviews with Geddy and Alex and another hour with Neil. You can view video clips of the interviews here (http://www.q107.com/home/Music/LegendsofClassicRock/RushExclusive/tabid/301/Default.aspx), just click on video and the full transcripts are available if you click on extras.

As for the album itself, I've only given it one spin so far and that was at work where I couldn't really listen very well. So, I'm not gonna comment yet.

likeitloud
05-01-2007, 06:30 PM
If anyone is interested, Kim Mitchell will be interviewing Geddy and Alex live at 6:00pm eastern time tomorrow (May 2). You can listen at http://www.q107.com.

It should be very interesting to hear this former frontman of Max Webster interview his long-time friends. Max Webster and Rush hit the Toronto music scene around the same time. Growing up in Toronto, both bands were thought of as Rock Gods (and still are). In 1980, the two bands collaberated on the song Battle Scar, which was released on Max Webster's, Universal Juveniles album.

Because of their history together, I suspect that this won't be your ordinary interview.

There was also a 90 minute show recorded in the Q107 studio to release the album. The show was made up from an hour of interviews with Geddy and Alex and another hour with Neil. You can view video clips of the interviews here (http://www.q107.com/home/Music/LegendsofClassicRock/RushExclusive/tabid/301/Default.aspx), just click on video and the full transcripts are available if you click on extras.

As for the album itself, I've only given it one spin so far and that was at work where I couldn't really listen very well. So, I'm not gonna comment yet.

Thanks for the heads up!

Mr Peabody
05-01-2007, 07:31 PM
I heard a one hour Rush special today on local radio promoting Snakes & Arrows. From what I heard, and I was at work, I wouldn't run out and buy it but some of the tracks sounded much better than past newer stuff. I know this post was for "Rush fans" but I thought I'd visit anyway. Is that crashing?

Our city has been very friendly to Canadian Rock. Kim Mitchell's, Going For a Soda is a "classic" for us, as well as Battle Scare. I also have several Triumph and April Wine albums. Do you guys claim Chilliwack? A couple of their songs are classics too, like Fly At Night.

kexodusc
05-02-2007, 04:01 AM
I'll comment on the album after one spin...it's great, and the production is much better than Vapor Trails.
Thanks for the heads up, FA.

GMichael
05-02-2007, 05:09 AM

So cool.

Rich-n-Texas
05-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Why does the name Kim Mitchell ring a bell in this yank's head? I used to CRANK Triumph, and I remember April Wine's stuff, but I can't seem to pull anything up for Kim Mitchell... :idea:

3-LockBox
05-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Our city has been very friendly to Canadian Rock. Kim Mitchell's, Going For a Soda is a "classic" for us, as well as Battle Scare. I also have several Triumph and April Wine albums. Do you guys claim Chilliwack? A couple of their songs are classics too, like Fly At Night.

The midwest and southern US has always been a little more receptive to Canadian acts, since they aren't border states, there seems to be little or no biases toward Canada/Canadians. I am from Tennessee and never knew any cultural animosity twix the two countries existed until I got to Washington state.

This is just an observation however, and not an indictment, since my home state still has a few biases of its own to work out.

Mr Peabody
05-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Kim Mitchell was in the band Max Webster Band. I forgot exactly what his role was but I'm thinking he was vocal/guitar.

ForeverAutumn
05-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Kim Mitchell was in the band Max Webster Band. I forgot exactly what his role was but I'm thinking he was vocal/guitar.

That's correct. He also had a very successful solo career.

His current gig is afternoon DJ on Toronto's classic rock station and playing the odd small show around the neighbourhood. The radio station is holding a 30-yr anniversary bash this summer where Max Webster will be reuniting as the headliner. I'd love to go but you gotta win tickets, and since I never listen to the radio anymore...well...it just ain't gonna happen.

As I expected the interview was excellent. Not everyone can get away with calling Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee, Al and Ged. :cornut:

Mr MidFi
05-03-2007, 06:08 AM
Hey, Autumn...My wife asked me the other day if I'd heard anything about the new album, and I told her to wait until Forever Autumn chimed in with her thoughts.

Well, you've had enough time for a couple of listens now. What's the verdict?

ForeverAutumn
05-03-2007, 07:08 AM
Hey, Autumn...My wife asked me the other day if I'd heard anything about the new album, and I told her to wait until Forever Autumn chimed in with her thoughts.

Well, you've had enough time for a couple of listens now. What's the verdict?

It's typical Rush. Not the best that they've ever done but better than their last two CDs IMO. I'm quite enjoying it. There are a couple of tunes destined to be classics, I think, Armour and Sword and The Main Monkey Business (instrumental).

Lyrically, I like it. A few of the lyrics are kind of weak, but there are some great lyrics too. Many of the lyrics are the result of Neil Peart's ponderings about religion. So some might call the CD anti-religious, but for me...I can relate.

Overall, it gets a big thumbs up from me. If you're a Rush fan, this should definately be on your Buy list.

kexodusc
05-03-2007, 07:33 AM
It's typical Rush. Not the best that they've ever done but better than their last two CDs IMO. I'm quite enjoying it. There are a couple of tunes destined to be classics, I think, Armour and Sword and The Main Monkey Business (instrumental).

Lyrically, I like it. A few of the lyrics are kind of weak, but there are some great lyrics too. Many of the lyrics are the result of Neil Peart's ponderings about religion. So some might call the CD anti-religious, but for me...I can relate.

Overall, it gets a big thumbs up from me. If you're a Rush fan, this should definately be on your Buy list.
Ya know, I find Vapor Trails and Snakes & Arrows contain the best lyrics Rush has ever written on one album. Mostly Peart, no doubt. Nice to see at least one band that will write with a bit of a positive spin these days, too. S&A has some great tunes on it, but like Vapor Trails its the lyrics that really grabbed my attention at first. Which is saying something as lyrics are usually an afterthought for me.

3-LockBox
05-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Ya know, I find Vapor Trails and Snakes & Arrows contain the best lyrics Rush has ever written on one album. Mostly Peart, no doubt. Nice to see at least one band that will write with a bit of a positive spin these days, too. S&A has some great tunes on it, but like Vapor Trails its the lyrics that really grabbed my attention at first. Which is saying something as lyrics are usually an afterthought for me.

Hey, I think Vapor Trails is a great album, period.

It's the mastering of that album that puts me off. I know, I know, I look like an audiophile when I write that, but the production done on that album is the worst I've ever heard on a Rush album. I'm hoping to hear this one before I buy it.

kexodusc
05-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Hey, I think Vapor Trails is a great album, period.

It's the mastering of that album that puts me off. I know, I know, I look like an audiophile when I write that, but the production done on that album is the worst I've ever heard on a Rush album. I'm hoping to hear this one before I buy it.
You're right about that. The material was killer live, the album, well... I can tolerate it in the car, on my computer but it sound like crap on my system. S&A is better in that area. Nothing incredible though, but a solid improvement - there's some dynamics at least.

Whatever happened tot he rumours Vapor Trails was getting remastered?

3-LockBox
05-03-2007, 04:51 PM
Whatever happened tot he rumours Vapor Trails was getting remastered?

I think that was just skuttlebutt...N.Peart would have to admit it sucked enough to allow someone else to remaster it, since supposedly, he was the one who produced and mastered it.

It is soooo harsh though, which is a shame, cuz I love Ghost Rider...

kexodusc
05-04-2007, 03:55 AM
I think that was just skuttlebutt...N.Peart would have to admit it sucked enough to allow someone else to remaster it, since supposedly, he was the one who produced and mastered it.

It is soooo harsh though, which is a shame, cuz I love Ghost Rider...
Yeah, it sounds like the band was smooshed into an elevator during recording.
Some of the tunes are excellent though, the DVD's are great at least.

I haven't had much time with Snakes & Arrows yet outside of my laptop but the one spin I gave it was encouraging. I'll be curious to see the reviews of the mastering on this one. The biggest thing I noticed was more instrument separation. It's still seems to be recorded a bit on the "loud" side though.

ForeverAutumn
05-04-2007, 04:11 AM
I can't comment on the production side either. I ripped the CD to my iPod and gave my husband the CD. He's only heard it in his truck. If I have time this weekend, I'll spin it on the good speakers.

kexodusc
05-04-2007, 05:45 AM
I can't comment on the production side either. I ripped the CD to my iPod and gave my husband the CD. He's only heard it in his truck. If I have time this weekend, I'll spin it on the good speakers.

I just gave it a quick spin on my stereo, it's a far superior recording to Vapor Trails, better than a lot of other Rush albums including some of the remasters. Shouldn't be much of an issue this time around.

I guess there's a DVD album release of this coming out in a month or two? I read in a magazine this album was recorded with 5.1 in mind. Could be interesting. I like this CD more and more every time I play it. "Working Them Angels" is a great tune!

ForeverAutumn
05-04-2007, 06:18 AM
I just gave it a quick spin on my stereo, it's a far superior recording to Vapor Trails, better than a lot of other Rush albums including some of the remasters. Shouldn't be much of an issue this time around.

I guess there's a DVD album release of this coming out in a month or two? I read in a magazine this album was recorded with 5.1 in mind. Could be interesting. I like this CD more and more every time I play it. "Working Them Angels" is a great tune!

During the interview that sparked this thread in the first place, Neil mentioned that they are in the process of mixing the 5.1 version right now. It's being mixed by Neil and the guy who produced the album (his name escapes me at the moment).