Display failure on Yamaha RX-V670 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Display failure on Yamaha RX-V670

thephotomaster
05-01-2007, 08:57 AM
I have a Yamaha A/V receiver, model RX-V670. It's about 10 years old now. One day after turning on the unit the display panel (LED read out) did not display the audio functions. All of the other functions appear to work, but without being able to see the actual function selection in the display. Has any one had this problem? Is there a fuse inside that needs to be replaced? If the solution is more complicated then a fuse replacement, then I'll approach a local repair shop. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kim

hydroman
05-01-2007, 11:18 AM
No seperate fuse for the display. It is a card.

You could try opening it up and wiggling the connectors first. No joy? Get the info off the card and try to get one off the internet. This is what the repair shop will do. Can't get a card? Even from Yamaha?

Time to get the NEW unit, eh? WooHoo! Pay with American Express - they automatically add another year (IIRC) or more to original mfgr warranty (see AMEX for details).

thephotomaster
05-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the information and advice. I did remove the case cover and tried moving the connector/cables that come from the rear of the LED panel. No success. All though, with enough light on the display (flash light) the LED information is being displayed and changes with selections. The LED panel is not emitting any light to see the characters. It's a small inconvenience to read the display using a flash light (LOL...) compared to the effort/expense to repair this unit. I use this receiver as a secondary stereo in my workout room. I have a Yamaha HTR-5490 A/V receiver as the primary surround sound unit. It works great! The Panasonic DVD player I had first, rolled over and died in less then a year. What a hassle that was with the manufacturer. Long story short: I don't buy Panasonic products anymore. I now have a Yamaha DVD-S520, which I was going to buy initially. I also have a Klipsch SW-10. The surround sound speakers are Polk M40 (F), M30 (R). The center is a Polk CSi5.

Thanks again!

PS: I have a vintage Bang & Olefsen turntable that still works 100%. It's hooked up to a vintage Sansui G-2000, with matching speakers. Don't remember the P/Ns. Right on!

dmoes
05-05-2007, 02:32 PM
I had a similar problem with a Yamaha receiver cant quote the model I'm to lazy to go upstairs to look, I think its a little older than 10 years maybe 15. it sounds like yours is similar. if a flashlight makes the display visible Its is actually a back lit segmented LCD display with different colour filters for different functions the back light on mine was a tiny incandescent bulb that burned out. I measured the voltage on the connector and went to Radio shack and got a bulb that was close in size and put it in its just held in a rubber grommet. It worked for a year or two and blew again I then replaced it with a High intensity wide angle white LED and a resistor to prevent the supply voltage from blowing the LED. its not as bright but its quite readable. My Yamaha CD had the same system for the display the replacement bulb in it outlasted the player.

Just look at the back of the display panel and see if there is a plastic bulge covering the whole display with two wires coming from the center, its probably this same system gently pull on the wires and it should come out if its the same design.