Definite beginner question.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Definite beginner question..

travelight
04-30-2007, 08:07 PM
I know for a lot of you guys, this is something you would probably just totally ignore because it may be annoying but I am really just getting into having a somewhat decent set up (hopefully). Anyways, I'm getting a Marantz 2200 receiver which is 15 watts at 8 ohms (i believe) and I have absolutely NO idea where to start with speakers. Obviously I know 15 watts isn't going to be knocking down the walls but I don't want to buy a speaker set up that is overkill or won't be able to be powered by the 15 watts..
Yes I know choosing speakers depends soley on my taste, but I don't even know where to start looking even because I don't even know how to start matching things up. Such as should I only be looking at speakers with say, a 50 watt max or what. I apologize for coming in here with absolute cluelessness and I know all you guys are audiophiles, and I am extremely jealous, but I guess I need to start somewhere. so if you can steer me in the right direction AT ALL, I would truly appreciate it.
thanks.

Resident Loser
05-01-2007, 04:57 AM
...would be surprised at what 15Wpc can do...with the right speakers, your average power levels for a reasonable SPL (Sound Pressure Level) will probably be around one or two Watts...I'll leave it to others to suggest specifics; consider the following just general guidelines.

You will need to look for speakers rated @ 8 Ohms nominal impedance...anything less may squeeze marginally more power out of your Marantz, but it may also tax it beyond is comfort zone...I can find no specs into a four-Ohm load.

You will want loudspeakers with a high sensitivity as they will be more efficient at using those 15 Watts...that would mean the speakers would need to be ported or horn loaded as opposed to of a sealed (acoustic suspension) design...

Generally speaking, such loudspeakers will likely be a bit bass shy, but...not to worry. Once you review the specs of likely candidates and audition those possibilities, should you need a bit more bottom-end, you can always purchase a powered subwoofer. Even tho' your receiver is of late '70s vintage and does not have a "sub out" jack, there are subs that allow for various hookup options...and all of this is really dependent on you musical tatses, etc. If you listen to chamber music, two bookshelf units may be all you need...however, if you're into "death metal" or even classical sonic blockbusters some additional bottom-end will probably be required...

Just my two-cents...

jimHJJ(...I used to be an audiophile but now I know better...)

markw
05-01-2007, 04:58 AM
When looking for speakers for a low powered unit such as that, the speaker's max power is meaningless. What you should be concerned with is the "sensitivity rating". or how much sound can be produced with as little power as possible.

This specified in decibels (sound output) per watt of power fed them, such as 90 db/watt.

In that case, for one watt fed, that speaker will produce 90 db of sound (there's more involved but this is the basic idea).

The higher the db number, the more efficient a speaker is. This directly relates to how well you use the power in your receiver. For every three db increase in that figure, you need one half the power, or one half watt of the initial figure. Likewise, for every three db decrease, you need twice the power, or two watts.

So., using that 90db/watt figure as a starting point, to reach the same loudness level for a speaker with a rating of 93 db, you need one half of a watt. For a speaker with a rating of 87 db/watt, you need two watts.

In your case, I'd be looking at speakers with a sensitivity rating as high as possible, but don't throw sound quality out of the equation. An efficient speaker that sounds awful is less preferable than one that's a little less efficient that sounds good.

Generally, all else being equal, a larger speaker will be more efficient than a smaller speaker.

But, one caution. You can destroy a speaker by trying to push your low powered amp too hard. Thst forces it into a form of distortion which can destroy a speaker.

This can be prevented with a little common sense. If your system starts to sound funky, distorted or simply not right, turn it down now. Something is complaining.

Are you looking new? What's your price range?

Feanor
05-01-2007, 05:38 AM
I know for a lot of you guys, this is something you would probably just totally ignore because it may be annoying but I am really just getting into having a somewhat decent set up (hopefully). Anyways, I'm getting a Marantz 2200 receiver which is 15 watts at 8 ohms (i believe) and I have absolutely NO idea where to start with speakers. ....

15 watts isn't a huge amount of power but will drive efficient speakers even in a mid-sized room. Efficiency can be gauged by the sensitivity specification of the speakers; this is usually measured as decibels per watt at one meter. That is, for example 92 dB/1 watt @ 1 meter; the higher the number the more efficient the speaker. By the way, the "maximum watts" rating is perhaps the most often quoted speaker specification, however it is also the most irrelevant for the home user.

Of course, the size of your room and also its furnishings are a big factor as well as the speaker efficiency. But in a typical medium sized room, say 12' x 20', 15 watts will drive speakers with a sensitivity of 92+ dB quite well.

Bernd
05-01-2007, 05:46 AM
Some good points here for you from the guys. Not much I can add really. 15 watts into a sensitive speaker will work fine. Just one more point to consider. If you get really sensitive speakers i.e.100db and above you have to be sure that your system downstream is very quiet. As speakers that sensitive will pick up all and any noise you feed them.
Good luck and have fun.
Just for starters take a look at Zingali speakers. Very easy to drive and high quality.

Peace

:16:

basite
05-01-2007, 06:15 AM
or klipsch...

the marantz's 15 watts are not much, but it will actually output them, and then (with the right speakers) 15 watts are enough watts.

so, try klipsch, or the zingalis, or even monitor audio (the silver series)...

travelight
05-01-2007, 08:17 AM
I really appreciate all the information you guys have given me. Now at least I have an idea for what to look for when I start searching! I am planning on probably just getting a used set of speakers because I got the receiver for a very low price and I figured I'll try and keep the whole set up as cost effective as possible. Again, thanks for helping to steer me in the right direction!

Also, since the receiver is at 8 ohms, does that mean it is necessary for the speaker to be at 8 ohms also, or can a 6 ohm speaker be used in its place. I assume it would be less efficient or not sound as good, I just wanted to find out though.

basite
05-01-2007, 09:39 AM
i think it's best to try to find 8 ohm speakers, this will put less stress on your amp 6 ohm should work fine too, but 4 ohm might be too much sometimes, especially when you use floorstanders. the Zingalis are exellent speakers, but they are quite expensive...

Good luck,
Bert.

hydroman
05-01-2007, 11:25 AM
A good/cheap/efficent speaker on Ebay[tm] might be Cerwin Vegas. Give us a budget - i am sure someone has time on their hands and would search Ebay[tm] for you to give you some suggestions. Check your local newspaper as well - shipping will be expensive...

audio_dude
05-01-2007, 01:17 PM
uhg...cerwin-vega?? yuck...

party speakers? yeah... nice hi-fi speakers? better look elsewhere.

their volume/buck ratio is HUGE, but sound...well. i won't go there.

GMichael
05-01-2007, 01:59 PM
Mark down another vote for Klipsch. They work well for the budget minded and would match good with a Marantz. Bright speakers + warm amp = nice sound.

travelight
05-01-2007, 03:01 PM
I just picked it up today, and to my surprise, it was a 2220, not a 2200. So I have 20 watts to work with now instead of 15! Anyways, my budget is pretty much as little as possible, so I was just planning on trolling all the audio shops around here that have used gear, rather than paying a boat load to get a set shipped. It sounds like a lot of you guys agree on Klipsch, so I'll start searching around and testing some out. I doubt it matters too much, but I'll be playing exclusively records with it because i got a great deal on a marantz 6100 TT also .

markw
05-01-2007, 04:49 PM
Are you interested in a pair of good, used, 92 db/watt, towers for $130 + shipping from a reputable dealer?

http://www.athenaspeakers.com/v2/classic.php?ident=AS-F1

travelight
05-01-2007, 05:20 PM
thanks for the offer, I looked them up and they seem to be well reviewed, but I noticed they weighed 41 pounds each, and i think shipping 82 pounds would probably cost more than the speakers themselves. thanks though, I appreciate it!

blackraven
05-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Those vintage low watt receivers could really put out the sound. My first receiver was a 1970s pioneer rated at 15wpc and it handled a variety of speakers without any problems. Back then the amplifiers and power supplies were made to higher standards then the low end crap today. Hell, I would put my 1976 vintage technics 40wpc integrated amp up against most of the low end junk from pioneer,yamaha and the like today.

I think you'll find that that Marantz will drive most speakers with a S/N of 90 without any problems.